• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the show as well... really like the fun opening too! Rocket Girls is probably my favorite NASA/Japanese space agency based show (though I like the novels a little better than the anime...), but Space Brothers seems to be pretty good so far!
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably wrong when I think that this is more of an inspirational piece than comedic? I don't find myself laughing as often as I find myself inspired.

He's a mid aged man who considers himself an average person moving forth in life and trying to become better. (Thanks captain obvious.)

3 years ago I'd never think I'd be picking this kind of show over boobs.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm probably wrong when I think that this is more of an inspirational piece than comedic? I don't find myself laughing as often as I find myself inspired.

No, you're not wrong at all; I get that as well. I think Mutta is a fantastic protagonist because if you're not completely rooting for him by this point, you're actually dead inside. It's awesome to see him going for his dreams despite the fact he's at an age where people might judge him to have 'missed the boat'. That's one hell of an inspirational message right there.

The comedy is a very welcome bonus, but it's the inspirational story here that makes me go a big rubbery one.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
This show inspires me as well. Every time I watch it I think "I should go draw something AWESOME!" It makes me feel like I can accomplish anything. Such a feel good show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Huh, I thought Haneda Airport only handled domestic traffic...

So I guess we get a break from the astronaut exams for a while. It's been a little weird watching this alongside Hunter X Hunter and seeing tournament overtones in the selection process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 = bo-oooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrring! Yeah, let's not have another one like that. At least it sounds like there will be something going on next time other than the usual, "the older brother should be ahead of the younger brother" snooze-fest. And bring back Pretty Astronaut Lady, dammit!

Last edited by Blood- on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:

Its the little touches in this show that make it fun. spoiler[...[like] Makabe's wedding ring. Never noticed that before, and I don't think his family has been brought up. I hope we get to learn more about his home life. Personally, I love seeing married men in anime, like Tougasa from GITS. It makes the series all the more real for me.]

Although I think the end of this episode is close to confirming something I'm suspecting. spoiler[I think Makabe is going to drop out of the program because of his family, effectively giving his slot to Mutta. The main reason I'm thinking this is because Makabe isn't in the OP, at least not in the shot of the presumed trainees.]

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Botan24 wrote:

Its the little touches in this show that make it fun. spoiler[...[like] Makabe's wedding ring. Never noticed that before, and I don't think his family has been brought up. I hope we get to learn more about his home life. Personally, I love seeing married men in anime, like Tougasa from GITS. It makes the series all the more real for me.]

Although I think the end of this episode is close to confirming something I'm suspecting. spoiler[I think Makabe is going to drop out of the program because of his family, effectively giving his slot to Mutta. The main reason I'm thinking this is because Makabe isn't in the OP, at least not in the shot of the presumed trainees.]

Hmmmm... that's an interesting idea you have there. Or maybe something happens to him personally that makes him unable to go. But, as we saw at the end of the last episode spoiler[some Jaxa/Nasa dude totally preferred Mutta over Makabe.] So, in that light, spoiler[it is possible that he gets picked anyways, without Makabe dropping out].

I kinda liked the latest episode. I didn't find it boring, but I am getting a little tired of the "older brother being ahead of the younger brother" monologue that happens at least 3 times per episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There was also the clue that spoiler[Makabe was often seen as being a bit gloomy and pre-occupied when he was by himself.] Mutta was always self concerned so he didn't catch it, but it was there.

and oh, All props to Grampa Smith in his "Ozzy" shirt. I guess it IS the future... Those old fogeys and their oldies rock. Twisted Evil
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
But, as we saw at the end of the last episode spoiler[some Jaxa/Nasa dude totally preferred Mutta over Makabe.] So, in that light, spoiler[it is possible that he gets picked anyways, without Makabe dropping out].

I think you have it backwards, at least from my understanding. spoiler[The guy said he would drop Mutta in an instant if he had to pick between Mutta and the other guy (I couldn't tell if it was Makabe or not, so I will refer to him as "other guy" for now).]

I didn't think it was a bad episode. A bit dull and non-eventful, sure, but I'm not really expecting much until the third JAXA exam. I think it's interesting to see how Mutta and Hibito interact with each other as adults versus when they were kids.

And Apo is so damn cute, I hope they get him a little doggy space suit and take him with them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@ kaydub - your interpretation of the ending is the same as mine. It doesn't really make sense the other way around because that would hardly be a dramatic way to end things. Generally, the idea of story-telling is to show your hero in peril, not coasting to victory.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This episode wasn't boring for me. It may not be as interesting as the JAXA exams to others but I thought it was great. I was laughing hard during the whole spoiler[dog chasing scene.] The interactions between the brothers were interesting to watch and hearing Mutta's thoughts help me understand him more. I really like how they're setting up his character.

Apo is so damn cute. I think he's a pitbull but I'm not sure about specific types of dogs besides huskies and golden retrievers. Normally I'd dislike the looks of pitbulls (if that's what he is) but he's just so damn cute.

This has been pleasant to watch and I haven't felt bored yet; I hope it will stay that way for me.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Apo is so damn cute. I think he's a pitbull but I'm not sure about specific types of dogs besides huskies and golden retrievers. Normally I'd dislike the looks of pitbulls (if that's what he is) but he's just so damn cute.
I'm pretty sure it's a pug.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
But, as we saw at the end of the last episode spoiler[some Jaxa/Nasa dude totally preferred Mutta over Makabe.] So, in that light, spoiler[it is possible that he gets picked anyways, without Makabe dropping out].

I think you have it backwards, at least from my understanding. spoiler[The guy said he would drop Mutta in an instant if he had to pick between Mutta and the other guy (I couldn't tell if it was Makabe or not, so I will refer to him as "other guy" for now).]

I didn't think it was a bad episode. A bit dull and non-eventful, sure, but I'm not really expecting much until the third JAXA exam. I think it's interesting to see how Mutta and Hibito interact with each other as adults versus when they were kids.

And Apo is so damn cute, I hope they get him a little doggy space suit and take him with them.

Ah! You're totally right! LOL I completely missed the "I would cut" line. ROFL I shouldn't be watching anime and drinking alcohol while posting on the forums.
Rolling Eyes
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Apo is definitely not a pitbull, as his face is much flatter than a pitbull's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 43