• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Cluster Edge, Hakuōki, Upotte!! Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many more announcements they've got up their sleeve. They've picked up like 1/4-1/2 of the Spring season already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Here comes the Upotte hating.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
After the number of simulcasts they picked up, I wasn't expecting them to announce this much at ACEN. I don't know much about the shows they picked up, but I will check them out.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it feels like Sentai is licensing about 80% of anime these days. I wish they'd slow down, and actually have their releases have special features or something more interesting.

Upotte!! is the only one of those i'd be interested in though.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see Bakumatsu get picked up.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Upotte!! got licensed pleases me greatly. Did not think that I would be able to legally own it some day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

You yourself said it wasn't very good and aren't watching it.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
im only really interested in hakuoki but since sentai has it i guess it gives me a reason to finally see the series. also counting all the hakuoki stuff they got this means they got 6 titles in this one con and it isnt even a big one now im looking foreward in seeing how much stuff sentai licenses at anime expo (maybe 15 Razz?)

Last edited by opn on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, is Sentai planning on total anime domination or something? Although Cluster Edge sounds like it could be okay, anyone here seen it?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Upotte!!?!? Well, okay... America is the land of the second amendment, after all...

I'd almost want to buy a copy just out of tribute to its audacity.

Cluster Edge is almost stranger, just because it's from so, relatively speaking, far back. I know nothing of the series, so for all I know, it has some hidden appeal. Perhaps it's some kind of experiment. I suppose that they got it and Hakuōki pretty cheaply, enough so that a low-rent DVD-only subtitled release that sells a pittance can at least not incur serious losses.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I don't think there's really been that much 'hate' for Upotte!!. There has been considerable bafflement, but appreciable hate probably only exists through exaggeration and misinterpretation in service of a persecution complex.

Besides, Sentai licensed Kids on the Slope, so for the time being, I just can't hold anything against them.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I suppose that they got it and Hakuōki pretty cheaply, enough so that a low-rent DVD-only subtitled release that sells a pittance can at least not incur serious losses.

actually hakuoki is getting a dub theres no blu ray in japan that i know of so thats why its not on blu ray but your right about the other show though its sub only. and hakuoki sold pretty well in japan so i doubt they got it that cheap (sold about 10k+)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
All complete misses for me.

Heck, I completely forgot that Cluster Edge even existed.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lots of (relatively) older stuff, some of which I've actually watched (or tried to) for once...

Holy crap, Cluster Edge? That takes me back. Not sure it screams, "License me!" but heck, if the price is right I wouldn't mind revisiting the title. I'll admit, I watched it for the BL undertones (I'm not even sure there were any female characters) though it pales in comparison to Kuroshitsuji and the like nowadays. I thought all the characters being named after minerals & rocks was kinda cute.

I also remember trying to watch Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto back when it first aired and getting like 5-6 episodes in before abandoning it for other stuff. Not that it was bad, I was just watching a lot of anime back then (oh, how times have changed) and couldn't juggle everything. (Also, I kept mistaking it for Tenpō Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi which aired the same season and was also a period piece about a ragtag group of characters. That I did manage to finish though.)

And Hakuouki? Well... the character designs are very pretty. The figures are gorgeous. The story is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (judging solely by the 2 or 3 episodes I managed to finish-- maybe it gets awesome later). Again, for the right price I could be convinced to pick this up and give it another shot. Did I mention how pretty it is?

Last edited by poonk on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
actually hakuoki is getting a dub theres no blu ray in japan that i know of so thats why its not on blu ray but your right about the other show though its sub only. and hakuoki sold pretty well in japan so i doubt they got it that cheap (sold about 10k+)

Well goddamn me, you're right. I overlooked the phrase, "on bilingual DVD." The 1,055 users that have seen it 'in whole or in part' in the Encyclopedia suggest that it might just have some cachet over here.

About the same seems to be true of Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and that has Yoshimitsu Ohashi's name on it. I suspect that they might be equivocating on whether to give it an English dub.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
opn wrote:

Well goddamn me, you're right. I overlooked the phrase, "on bilingual DVD." The 1,055 users that have seen it 'in whole or in part' in the Encyclopedia suggest that it might just have some cachet over here.

lol its okay its the first thing that caught my eye actually. Razz the VN that akysis released sold 45k (which i heard was extremely well for its kind) so it might do well though i have a feeling they also have hiro no kakera which is another deen anime based off a otome game plus its airing on CR who they seem to have a partnership with. Smile about bakumatsu its probably gonna be like their simulcasts stream it first and look at the numbers then decide if its worth dubbing or not.

Last edited by opn on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6