• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wii U/3DS Get Simultaneous Physical/Digital Releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
If the price is the same , there is zero reason to buy the digital version over the physical release; sounds like a bad idea to me

digital version takes up space on your memory cards and has zero resale value, and some time down the road if they close the server or system for the download games and you lose your digital copy you are completely out of luck.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
An obvious attempt to save face and a warning that the system is suffering from poor design. Also with Wii U using an 8 GB SSD, rest assured the console is indeed going to retail for at least $450.

Nintendo is too inexperienced to execute a digital plan, let alone to a demographic thats made up of kids and casual gamers.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
There should be a significant difference in price since digital distribution illuminates manufacturing costs.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
There should be a significant difference in price since digital distribution illuminates manufacturing costs.

Its all about download memory data. A SSD with 8 itself would still be $100.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
If the price is the same , there is zero reason to buy the digital version over the physical release; sounds like a bad idea to me

digital version takes up space on your memory cards and has zero resale value, and some time down the road if they close the server or system for the download games and you lose your digital copy you are completely out of luck.

True. However, a physical version takes up space on your shelf and is less convenient since you have to make a trip to the store to buy it and physically switch the discs whenever you want to play it and some time down the road if the disc gets damaged or lost you lose your copy and are completely out of luck.

Personally, I prefer physical media over digital but there are clearly pros and cons to both. It really just comes down to personal preference. Neither is inherently superior.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
However, a physical version takes up space on your shelf

Shouldn't this be a pro? Some of us like building collections and enjoy seeing their shelf filled with games or anime. Main reason I buy special editions for every NISA game that comes out is because I love the large boxes I can display on my shelf. As a collector, digital does nothing for you since there isn't the same satisfaction of building a collection if its just in a computer folder or on a video game console HDD.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Main reason I buy special editions for every NISA game that comes out is because I love the large boxes I can display on my shelf.

As do I. Not everyone cares about that though and some people's living arrangements put shelf space at a premium. Again, personal preference. No right or wrong answer.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The news article should also mention that Nintendo digital games will only be playable on the console they are downloaded to.

I prefer physical releases usually, but for games I care less I could buy a digital version instead, if it's cheaper than the retail one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Its all about download memory data. A SSD with 8 itself would still be $100.

I think you're confusing prices for manufacturers with prices for consumers? Even then, though... at the moment consumers can pay approximately $50 for a stand-alone 16GB SATA II SSD, so I don't have any idea of where you're coming from with that $100 number. Intel SSDs are more expensive, if you're using them as an example of what Nintendo would do, but they no longer produce a consumer level 8GB model.

Also, some very quick googling brought me by the quote, "Breaking out the cost of different components, IHS believes flash memory costs either $16.80 (16GB), $33.60 (32GB), or $67.20 (64GB) in various versions of the new iPad."
(source)

While Apple does have some of the best bulk discounts on wholesale parts in the industry due to their buying power, I would not expect Nintendo to be paying more than 5x as much as Apple pays for a 16GB SSD/flash module for an 8GB SSD/flash module.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1