• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Rerelease Baccano! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what are you people talking about with these prices? I pre-ordered the Baccano! blu-ray set for $56 from Rightstuf. You really think they're going to charge more for a re-release?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
already got it from rightstuf last time and I was surprised it was only $60, but since Aniplex is open to re-releasing stuff, I really really hope they re-release the Garden of Sinners BD too (the same premium box or a stripped down BD release)
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
And it'll only cost you ONE KIDNEY!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
So hey, guys...could we maybe stop complaining about the price?

The Baccano BD cost $60. Sixty. Freakin. Dollars. The re-release will, in all conceivable likelihood, be even cheaper. I am without a doubt the first one to complain when Aniplex shafts people with absurdly expensive release. However, that is clearly not the case here. This is Aniplex doing it right.

So please. Stop bloody whining.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
...and it'll cost like $75-$100 or possibly more, and they won't sell it on Amazon (thus limiting their profits). Seriously, why not let FUNimation release this? Their prices are a helluva lot better than Aniplex USA's. If FUNi released Baccano! on Blu-ray, it'll be more like $30-$40 for the whole series on Amazon. Aniplex USA keeps trying to eat our money...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
...and it'll cost like $75-$100 or possibly more, and they won't sell it on Amazon (thus limiting their profits). Seriously, why not let FUNimation release this? Their prices are a helluva lot better than Aniplex USA's. If FUNi released Baccano! on Blu-ray, it'll be more like $30-$40 for the whole series on Amazon. Aniplex USA keeps trying to eat our money...

Because Funimation releasing would reduce how much Aniplex would make from their own title. Which for Aniplex would be even worse, financially, than not having it up on Amazon.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Y'know what? I think I may just buy it this time! Yay! I love having the opportunity to purchase something I had to pass on the first time around.

I'll still keep the Funi DVDs though for the extras. But I would like the BD even if it's an upscale.

Thank you, Aniplex!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Because Funimation releasing would reduce how much Aniplex would make from their own title. Which for Aniplex would be even worse, financially, than not having it up on Amazon.

Still, Aniplex is shooting themselves in the foot by not having the title up on Amazon, the #1 online retailer for pretty much everything. That's my main concern. Even smaller companies like Discotek, Nozomi, NISA, and Anime Midstream have all their releases up on Amazon (and Nozomi is the SAME COMPANY as RightStuf). Aniplex really needs to expand. I wouldn't mind them so much if they were better at marketing their products. A few banner ads on ANN is not gonna cut it.
Does anyone even know why their stuff is exclusive to RightStuf, and a few smaller retailers? I would think they would want their releases on Amazon to attract more sales. Heck, F.Y.E. and MovieStop wouldn't be bad either. FUNimation and Viz also have all their releases on walmart.com, bestbuy.com, deepdiscount.com, you name it. Aniplex has so much more room for expansion, and they're blowing it... Though I do commend them on getting Durarara on [adult swim], they are blowing off a LOT of money with their poor marketing of their DVDs and Blu-rays. No matter how expensive the price is. It's pretty much a fact that they would make more of a profit if their products were available with a larger amount of bigger, more well-known retailers.

I also don't understand why Aniplex is doing this with Baccano, and not a much more popular title like Fullmetal Alchemist (not that I'm complaining. I can't imagine anyone other than FUNi having FMA).

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
We don't even know what the price is going to be, so we should probably wait until they actually shaft us before we all start moaning about it. Last time RightStuff had it at a decent price, but I had already exceeded my budget so I couldn't pick it up. As always it will depend on what is being offered for the price before I go ahead and double-dip for something like this.

Oh, but hey Aniplex good job on training people to reflexively expect the worst out of your prices. Neutral
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Still, Aniplex is shooting themselves in the foot by not having the title up on Amazon, the #1 online retailer for pretty much everything. That's my main concern. Even smaller companies like Discotek, Nozomi, NISA, and Anime Midstream have all their releases up on Amazon. Aniplex really needs to expand. I wouldn't mind them so much if they were better at marketing their products. A few banner ads on ANN is not gonna cut it.

I also don't understand why Aniplex is doing this with Baccano, and not a much more popular title like Fullmetal Alchemist (not that I'm complaining. I can't imagine anyone other than FUNi having FMA).

I was just commenting on the question: "why not let FUNimation release this?" The answer is right inline with the problem you believe Aniplex is creating by not having their products available on Amazon, it will reduce how much money Aniplex will make. Having a middleman print and distribute the discs will make Aniplex even less money than not having an Amazon account.

As to why Aniplex doesn't do the same with FMA. I guess every contract is different.

I don't see companies like Discotek, NISA, or Nozomi selling their stuff on Amazon. I see a bunch of storefronts that have products from those companies but that's it. Maybe you want to shoot Animecorner or MN Media an email so they'll stock up on Aniplex shows on their Amazon accounts. It would be smarter and cheaper to buy from an official Aniplex retailer though.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Does anyone even know why their stuff is exclusive to RightStuf, and a few smaller retailers?

Because having an exclusive deal with rightstuf allows them to try to prevent reverse imports back to Japan. $60 for Baccano in US vs $260 for Baccano in Japan (I presume it has more extras, but I think many would still be willing to forgo them) Even the expensive direct imports are sold for less in the US, strangely enough.

Although in practice if someone really wants to import it from the US, they can just get it through a proxy or a reseller.

Quote:
I would think they would want their releases on Amazon to attract more sales. Heck, F.Y.E. and MovieStop wouldn't be bad either. FUNimation and Viz also have all their releases on walmart.com, bestbuy.com, deepdiscount.com, you name it.

Personally, I don't think those places would help them much. The hardcore anime crowd would already know where to look for Aniplex titles. Brick and mortar stores are basically dead, except for a few dedicated shops and some Fry's stores. For titles with more mass appeal but would require more marketing, they just license to local licensees. Most of titles produced by Aniplex (A-Channel, AnoHana, Baccano DVD, etc) DO wind in all those places like amazon, etc, just through licensees like Sentai, NISA, etc
animeninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Does this mean we're closer to a Durarara bluray?

Yes. It's coming out soon.

I hope it is soon, I have Baccano! already on Blu-ray and I am holding off buying Durarara on DVD as I am hoping for the Blu-ray.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Seriously, why not let FUNimation release this? Their prices are a helluva lot better than Aniplex USA's. If FUNi released Baccano! on Blu-ray, it'll be more like $30-$40 for the whole series on Amazon. Aniplex USA keeps trying to eat our money...

Maybe Aniplex wanted to charge enough for the BD license that Funi's price would have been up in the Aniplex USA price range. Aniplex has licensed titles out to other US companies. Perhaps they felt that Baccano! was important enough for them to hold on to.

Heck, the US price for Baccano! BD is already a steal. People over here paid only about 25-30% of the price across the Pacific...

I do hope that Aniplex can sell us the Drrr!! BD set soon, but we'll have to wait a few months if Baccano! is anything to go by. Do I wait? Hmmm...
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
The first release was severly underpriced for its run. I hope this is not too cheap.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
The first release was severly underpriced for its run. I hope this is not too cheap.

Ok, everyone's entitled to an opinion but you're just taking advantage.

Japanese style box set: I take it means 6 or 7 BDS? 60 dollars for a stupid reissue? Reeeeeeeeee..markable.

Some people will buy anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4