• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Hunter x Hunter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quite easily the best shounen out of Japan. That was a great article even though I wish you had gotten more into the mechanics of the manga or the emphasis on the mind of the characters like a previous poster stated.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
I started watching the current anime adaptation in January after repeatedly hearing how much fun it was.

Jason Thompson wrote:
It absorbs other shonen manga and spits them back out in strange, mutated forms. Recently the plotline has turned towards exploration, and a place called the Dark Continent, which reminds me of a plotline in One Piece, but much deadlier. Maybe if Hunter X Hunter goes on long enough it'll eventually mimic every other manga in Jump, only weirder—or who knows?

If someone had said that to me when the show started, I'd've been watching from the get-go. Or collecting the manga already. Weird goes a long way with me. At least this helps explain just why I'm enjoying it so much, when I don't normally pay attention to Shōnen Jump kinds of series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
HunterxHunter is a well written and often unique look at shounen manga, but Togashi's decline in art quality really make it hard for me to place it up there with the rest. Granted, he does some really good artwork a chapter or so, but then there's times you can tell he obviously rushed his manuscripts. I also second the notion that HunterxHunter should be moved to Ultra Jump (or even Jump Square) to at least prevent or minimize the frequent breaks the guy takes. I wouldn't mind if he did 15-20 page chapters a month instead of 10-20+ chapters he does on WSJ before ultimately taking a long break.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
In the Colombian dub Hisoka for some reason has a french accent and sometimes says phrases in french.

The Brazillian dub was based on the Colombian one, so Hisoka had an inexplicable French accent here, too. The actor who voiced him did a great job, though.
LovelyHue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that the mangaka got very sick to the point that it affected his ability to draw, and that this is the reason for the art decline. So I've always seen the art decline as something sad that taints my experience of reading it considerably.

Wikipedia confirms that the hiatuses are due to illness. And Wikipedia is God!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
To those complaining about his art quality, hmmm, I wonder how you read his work. If you actually bothered to support the artist and buy his manga when it came out in volumes, its always redrawn anytime it was half assed in the shonen jump issue.

Personally, I believe HxH is the 2nd best Shonen behind only Houshin Engi, and hope we get a dvd releases of the new series soon, and more importantly I hope the new series doesnt cut off, and goes through the ant and voting arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3