• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Holy crow Shocked You watched a lot of anime and then put together a ton of reviews. I've got so much respect for you.
opn

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Is Sengoku Collection supposed to be an X? The end of the rant sounds like you're done with it, but it's still got a ranking arrow.

Oops, that one slipped by me. That one is supposed to be an X. I guess that will free up room for Saki, Bodacious Space Pirates, Eureka 7 AO and Sankarea. ._.

I wish you good luck bamboo and since theres so much anime why not do it every four weeks instead of the usual 2 weeks that way that will lessen the work load?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Is Sengoku Collection supposed to be an X? The end of the rant sounds like you're done with it, but it's still got a ranking arrow.

Oops, that one slipped by me. That one is supposed to be an X. I guess that will free up room for Saki, Bodacious Space Pirates, Eureka 7 AO and Sankarea. ._.

And Nyarko-san as well! Razz
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:

And Nyarko-san as well! Razz

I hope she does that one too. Its my second favorite show of the season after Fate/Zero 2.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Hard to say what my favorite this season is. There are still quite a few shows I need to check out, such as Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers. But Sankarea is definitely one of my top shows this season at the very least. That's why I'm really hoping Funimation announces a stream date for it soon. Well, I hope they do more than just announce a date, I hope they actually start streaming it soon as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
You guys are aware that after putting a tremendous amount of time and effort into something like this - literally the longest and most work-intensive column in the site's history - that hearing nothing but "you didn't cover everything! what about show X" is very frustrating, right?

The "you missed a spot!" posts aren't particularly helpful.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Bravo bamboo, bravo.

I really only cared about reading your feelings of HxH sofar now that nens introduced, but I can gladly accept the short one paragraph, especially the logic that you followed this far so your gonna keep going (this is often the reason I keep forcing myself to read fairy tail and another series at times, though its less enjoyable and more about seeing if it'll be better for the long run.)

Accel World: Sorry to see you disliked it but I can definetly see where your comming from. The way I see it though, the virtual stuff adds to the drama, even if the fights aren't happing in their reality, it creates conflicts for the characters to play off from. We of all people should know what internet drama can do. I myself am pretty much invested for the longrun.

Tsuritama: I only saw one ep sofar and need to see eps 2 and 3 so I basicly skipped it and will come back to respond later, but from the looks of it you're enjoying it, which is great as I usually enjoy reading your reviews. (same can be said for boys on the slope.)

Lupin the 3rd, Mojiko: This is definetly a show I like to watch on saturday nights. yessir, turn off the nights, inflate my fullscreen kick back and enjoy the show. this is acctually one show I don't mind watching in subs, but if it gets a dub in the future it'll be a luxury.

Hyouka: ... oh wait. it isn't here... oh well.

Medaka box: Just give medeka box some time, thats when it gets to the REAL material. I've seen the main point of the manga and trust me theres more than meets the eye. there are a few side things you'll have to deal with though so I'll warn you that.

Space brothers: This is a favorite this season, despite the guy being, well, 30, I can relate to being down on your luck and having awkward momments and screw ups. its all very belivable and enjoyabe.

My main list for shows this season is this:
- space brothers (Realistic humor, Anime hyper)
- Lupin the 3rd ( Kick back and chill)
- Hyouka (doubt it'll appear until the real plot appears or even at all.)
-Accel world (Can guess you'll probably dorp it later.)
-Tsuritama (It looked wierd enough so I'll keep watching.)
-kids on the slope (gotta have my jazz~♣)
-medaka box-sorta(I've read the manga and while one part is good, theres another glaring issue I have with it. it may just be me though)

I personally don't feel like dealing with spit. I don't care about deeper meanings this time, I'm laying off of girl friend x. just let me know if theres a novel or something where I don't have to look at it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't surprised with Kids on the Globe as there was high anticipation of the series. I haven't seen this series yet but will most likely now based on this.

Tsuritama is the one that surprised me the most tbh. I'm looking to marathon this series as noitamina is involved in this.

Fate/Zero's rating is pretty obvious there.

For laughter and entertainment, I'm still watching Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and Medaka Box.

The rest I'm not so sure for now although I'm considering dropping Hiiro no Kakera.

Anyways, great job on this work Bamboo Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if some of my posts came off as ungrateful or like I was complaining about shows being missing, that certainly wasn't my intent. I really appreciate the work Bamboo's put into this column, in the past and now. I love The Stream and I'm happy to see it again, so thanks Bamboo.
jugemxjugem

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:

awesome job on the review,
tones of good animes this season
i also forgot Sankarea eventho i'm a fan and watch it regulary

I'm not usually one for slice of life but Kids on the slope bought me right away (i downloaded Moanin' by Art Blakey seconds after the episode)
Just like Space Brothers, (Muta FTW)
Tsuritama seems extremly entertaining, but i somehow have the feeling that theres so much more to the show, plot-wise
I didn't watch Polar bear cafe, and i'm really considering looking it up after reading your review
Ps what happend to the banner idea from the last ANNCast that Zac suggest????

Last edited by jugemxjugem on Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I love all the Kids on the Slope praise and I can say since I red some the volumes of the manga the story gets tad melodramatic but also gives us character back-story and goes a lot deeper about their views on jazz.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:

Four shows can fit in one slot, right? Wink I don't envy your task, and I appreciate the effort you're putting into this.

Great column as always. I'm about 90% in agreement, with some minor shifts and Accel World being considerably higher. I do wish there was some more building of Haru's character, but as a computer nerd, the concept of thought-enhancing software is cool enough that I'm really digging it.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This has been a really good season for me, streaming-wise. I typically only follow one or maybe two shows, but I'm following three this time: Lupin III, Tsuritama and Hyouka. (Kinda bummed/surprised Hyouka isn't being simulcast, it's been a real visual treat so far. Though maybe that's for the best, considering how much Bamboo is having to keep up with already...)
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I need to find some time to do some more watching - having a new job and busy weekends has pretty much destroyed my ability to watch anime. I've barely progressed beyond what I posted to Answerman (mine was the "running the gamut" one ...) but since then I've dropped Saki (I think it's tagline should be "it's no Chihayafuru") and Sengoku Collection.

My early impressions of the season is that there are not many really good shows, and a couple that people really like (e.g. Kids on the Slope and Polar Bear Cafe) just haven't interested me enough with their hooks to even watch the first episode. Maybe if I end up dropping enough other shows I'll try them.

I'm definitely still on the fence about several shows, including some that Bamboo liked: Tsuritama; Medaka Box (it needs to improve quickly); Mysterious Girfriend X (it's intriguing, and the saliva doesn't gross me out too much, but I wish they'd chosen some other hook); Upotte (not for any of the normally-stated reasons to do with the first episode but so far it just seems to be "cute girls doing cute things - WITH GUNS!"); Natsu-iro Kiseki (interesting hook, but it needs to do something with it); and most strangely of all, Lupin III (which just isn't grabbing me the way I expected).

And of course, there's always the possibility of a show doing a Level E and getting dropped after lying about what type of show it was.

Interestingly a lot of people don't seem to like Jormangund, which I picked as one of my two possible best-of-season ... so either it loses it pretty quickly or I have a weird sense of humour and fun.

BTW I'm guessing that Shining Hearts: Shiwase no Pan is just going to be added to the column with a great big X and no explanation because it's almost impossible to stay awake through the first episode.

Last edited by tcdelaney on Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
but since then I've dropped Saki (I think it's tagline should be "it's no Chihayafuru") and Sengoku Collection.

Saki isn't really trying to be what Chihayafuru was though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11