• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
As well as stay away from The Secret of Mamo. This movie as I find it a interesting piece it is god awful. Unless you find a interest in how not to make an animated movie and enjoy how bad they butcher Lupin then you may want to check it out, but only after you know enough about the characters as it will just be a shitty movie. I can easily make a short story on this movie alone but I'll let you judge.

I hope you're joking. Secret of Mamo was the essence of the second TV series. Butcher him? That's Lupin at his best!

Castle of Cagliostro, now that butchered him (well, maybe not "butchered", but softened). It's just such a well constructed movie it's ultimately negligable what they did to him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the recommendations Very Happy I was always aware of the Lupin franchise, since it's such a long running and well established universe. With so many new shows being produced each season, I have limited time with which to go back and explore some of the older, well-known anime. As has been pointed out throughout the thread, Lupin III: ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ doesn't really require any prior knowledge and it's made me a lot more enthusiastic about revisiting the older titles... and I'm probably not alone in feeling this way.

I know the older stuff will lack the slick animation this series has, and some of it will look dated by today's standards. But the characters introduced thus far have all interested me, and I'm eager to see their earlier incarnations.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Alright, episode 5 is the type of story that I am accustomed to in a Lupin TV show. I just hope that the whole gang hooks up sooner rather than later, but I suspect it'll be a final episode thing.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
OK enough with the nudity. Like seriously, it's getting old. Literally the first 10 minutes of episode 5 was trying to find a clever way to portray Fujiko's nude body in a clever way.

It's really starting to cheapen the show in my eyes. I don't have a problem with sexuality and nudity in general, but this is just in bad taste. It's like a gentleman's fan service or some crap. I have different standards then I do from "Is this a Zombie?"-maybe I should adjust them? Confused
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
My goodness is Fujiko amoral. She was the character most likely to betray Lupin or be on the other side in what I’ve seen of the franchise, but she’s much more ruthless here. I think she’s been at least a little sociopathic in every episode and this time she seemingly planned to have somebody die for her own gain. In light of the cool-looking flashback in the last episode and the imagery of the ending theme, I suspect that just why she’s so cold-blooded will be the ‘point’ of the series. Perhaps it will address why she’s so exhibitionist too.

I enjoyed Jigen in this episode. He was my favorite in the second television series, partly because I really liked the voice that Richard Epcar gave him, and he’s entertaining here. He feels like a classic worn-down film noir character, which is what he looks like anyway. He’s a good counterpoint to the lighter-hearted Lupin.

This was a good, unspectacular, but entertaining Indiana Jones yarn. It’s very much the kind of story that belongs in this franchise. As much as I've liked Fujiko, I'm liked that she was in the shadows for much of this episode so Lupin and Jigen could take the fore.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I just hope that the whole gang hooks up sooner rather than later, but I suspect it'll be a final episode thing.

I wonder if the next few episodes will be built around pair Lupin with Goemon or Jigen with Goemon before getting the band together for the ‘first’ time. Perhaps that will be the finale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
OK enough with the nudity. Like seriously, it's getting old. Literally the first 10 minutes of episode 5 was trying to find a clever way to portray Fujiko's nude body in a clever way.

It's really starting to cheapen the show in my eyes. I don't have a problem with sexuality and nudity in general, but this is just in bad taste. It's like a gentleman's fan service or some crap. I have different standards then I do from "Is this a Zombie?"-maybe I should adjust them? Confused

Yeah, the nudity is going overboard, but...that's what the Lupin franchise is all about right? I mean, this show is over the top in other ways too. Personally, the nude scenes are more "unfortunate" than anything else. Mostly because some people will be missing out on a good show due to the fact that they don't like seeing a woman's nipples flouncing about. And that's too bad.

I watched episode five on my husband's 21 inch iMac yesterday. Boy, is Funimation's player crap. I know both Zac and Justin(?) mentioned it on one of the more recent podcasts. But, I thought they were just being dramatic. Watching on my little Macbook screen, I never noticed. However, the best parts of this Lupin don't involve high action anyway. The art is so stylized that it loses a lot of pizazz when the anti is upped. The best shots from episode five were of Jigen walking down the corridors of the tomb with nothing but a lantern illuminating his path. That looked fanTAStic!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Fujiko certainly appears to be rather ruthless and cruel in the fifth episode. She even makes disparaging remarks about Jigen's... "magnum" as he's already being pulled in by a death trap.

Her trechery didn't seem to bother Lupin all that much. He was more concerned with whether Fujiko slept with Jigen. Is he going to be upset when he finds out she's been with Zenigata or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

It's weird, I'm completely desensitized to it now. I spent the majority of that scene watching Lupin, since he's not had a massive amount of screentime over the course of these first episodes. I can't say I completely ignored the elephant in the room, because there were some shots of a naked Fujiko with nothing else to look at... But there was no titillation for me, no arousal... I just tend to accept that nine times out of ten, Fujiko will be in some state of undress. By accepting that, it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment at all. I don't purposefully force my eyes away from her, I just tend to find there's more interesting stuff going on elsewhere in the shot. There's SO much more to look at in this show.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:

It's weird, I'm completely desensitized to it now. I spent the majority of that scene watching Lupin, since he's not had a massive amount of screentime over the course of these first episodes. I can't say I completely ignored the elephant in the room, because there were some shots of a naked Fujiko with nothing else to look at... But there was no titillation for me, no arousal... I just tend to accept that nine times out of ten, Fujiko will be in some state of undress. By accepting that, it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment at all. I don't purposefully force my eyes away from her, I just tend to find there's more interesting stuff going on elsewhere in the shot. There's SO much more to look at in this show.

It's pretty sad as a society that we shun away from nudity and the naked human form. I'm just saying in general. It's not even real boobs and people still have some sort of issue with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
What about the ED? Is the series intending to sexualize the younger Fujiko the ending depicts? I doubt it. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fujiko's upbringing was marred by some sexual catastrophe.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Anyone been tracking the owls in this series?

spoiler[We know of at least four--a cameo in the OP, a marking on the door of the opera singer in episode 4, an Egyptian carving in episode 5, and the owl seal that we see in the ED (and in the earliest moments of the first episode.)

Any guesses at what it might signify? Almost certain that it ties into Fujiko's backstory, and that there's some kind of myth arc here that will tie everybody and everything together by the end of the show. Then again I could be dead wrong, so we'll see!]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This might help.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I had an idea for the climax of this show in the shower just now...

Spoilers apply if this show is your only taste of Lupin.
spoiler[Oscar is the odd man out. He isn't in any later shows so I think unless they intend to re-boot the franchise with new characters, he has to go at some point. So I think this series will see the four main crew mostly antagonizing each other, and then towards the end, they will realize that they need to team up and use their combined skills to escape. And they will be escaping from Oscar, who is secretly really, really evil. Or he's a mystical type, like Pycal(?) was in the first season. He'll be so evil that Zenigata will aide the 4 as well, at which point he will come to like them, if only secretly, and he will loose his murderous rage and adopt the personality that we're familiar with.]

What do you think? Possible?
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
This is the best animated series I've seen in years. Why can't more anime be like this? It's wonderful. There is no doubt that I will purchase it when dubbed.

I'm extremely surprised at the fan reaction, however. Particularly in regard to Fujiko's sexuality and some of the outrage in her nudity. I don't find it in bad taste at all. Sex is the point.
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I should have guessed Oscar spoiler[was in drag (he looks like a girl after all)]. His character isn't developing like I would have hoped. I thought that he disliked Fujiko because she isn't afraid to use her sexuality. But its more he dislikes her spoiler[because he finds himself attracted to her, and doesn't like "her type of woman" as a rule. But it looks like he is going to be a nemesis of sorts...or at least seek revenge for his humiliation at her hands.] By the way, who else thought it was hilarious that Fujiko spoiler[recorded her "session" with the Inspector?] What a woman. Rolling Eyes

One more quick note: after Fujiko compliments "Isolde's" hair and then touches her face...I got the distinct impression that Fujiko would eat her alive (in the metaphorical sense not literally). Very creepy, but interesting how that supposedly sweet scene didn't give me that impression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7