• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
How can it be so cheap?

I'm going with Blood- on this one: 99.99% it's a fake. The other 0.01% is because the figure didn't sell well to begin with, and places are dumping inventory.

Take a look at RACS current figure sale and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Alter figures are expensive as fudge. Am I missing something? They even take refunds...I feel like I'm not that lucky.

If you're paying with Paypal, this is your ace. Paypal transactions come with protection, so I wouldn't hassle with the seller if the item doesn't meet your expectations. If this happens, go directly to Paypal, who'll then investigate and refund your money if the seller is bogus (as well as close their account, since Paypal's owned by ebay).

Now, the flip side. I've been unlucky a few times to discover a few of my figures weren't legit, but I can't say the quality didn't merit the price, honestly.

Most figures from Japan are actually made in China. What happens is the mold is often duplicated at other plants, which means the quality's going to be pretty decent in terms of just molded plastic.

Good Smile Company discovered this a couple of years ago when it was caught by surprise one of their Nendos was selling like hotcakes and it hadn't even been released by the company yet! The box was so damn near perfect, it was almost impossible to tell it was bootleg.

To stay legit, I'm very wary of anything selling at such a low price and be deemed "official".

I suppose the choice now comes down to ethics.

I also concur with the "let us know" aspect. I'd like to see how the quality of these figures stand up against the real thing when you get them in.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Almost Payday Thursday:

BECK: SAVE Edition.

I have heard nothing but good things about BECK so I decided to just get the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Eri94 wrote:
How can it be so cheap?

I'm going with Blood- on this one: 99.99% it's a fake.
I hate to say it but I agree. Most legit sellers, wherever they're located (and yes, there are legit sellers in China: see dendenkwok and isabellaibebe, to name a few I've bought from), will make a point of saying "Genuine [X manufacturer's name] product," "Official [X] product," or something like that in the item's description. Those sellers I mentioned specifically state the company of origin (Bandai, Kotobukiya, Sega, etc.) and "type" of figure (Figma, Revoltech, DX, Trading Arts, etc.) in the item's title also. Bootleggers generally don't make this claim, as then you can tell eBay they misrepresented the item. Instead they say stuff like "Brand New" and "100% New" (yes, it's brand new bootleg); "New Item in box" (yes, even bootlegs come in bootleg boxes); i.e., just vague statements that are technically true when it comes down to it.

I also don't fully trust the seller's feedback-- most of the time I think the buyers don't know they've gotten a bootleg, since it tends to be newer collectors who get taken in by these sellers (once you start shopping the Japanese sites you know there's no way Out of Print "Item X" is selling for less than half its original price); or it could be someone who bought it as a gift for their kid and doesn't know the difference.

While I try to avoid eBay whenever possible (or at least stick to known legit sellers), if I do find something of interest from someone who's being vague I contact them and ask directly: "Is this a legit, licensed [manufacturer*] item?" (I also add something to the effect of, "I know bootlegs of this item exist so I want to know explicitly if this is a legitimate product.") If they say yes it's legit and you subsequently receive a bootleg, you can complain to eBay about misrepresentation (and you'll have the email history to back you up). In my experience though bootleggers will not lie, I suspect for the reason I just mentioned. (Once a seller answered my query, "If authenticity is a concern then you should look elsewhere," which told me pretty much all I needed to know.)

*You can look up manufacturer info (along with general prices, release dates, and more) on MFC, and if you check out the pages for both figures you've linked, you can click on "Counterfeit" in red and see pictures of known bootlegs for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Eri94 wrote:
How can it be so cheap?

I'm going with Blood- on this one: 99.99% it's a fake.
I hate to say it but I agree. Most legit sellers, wherever they're located (and yes, there are legit sellers in China: see dendenkwok and isabellaibebe, to name a few I've bought from), will make a point of saying "Genuine [X manufacturer's name] product," "Official [X] product," or something like that in the item's description. Those sellers I mentioned specifically state the company of origin (Bandai, Kotobukiya, Sega, etc.) and "type" of figure (Figma, Revoltech, DX, Trading Arts, etc.) in the item's title also. Bootleggers generally don't make this claim, as then you can tell eBay they misrepresented the item. Instead they say stuff like "Brand New" and "100% New" (yes, it's brand new bootleg); "New Item in box" (yes, even bootlegs come in bootleg boxes); i.e., just vague statements that are technically true when it comes down to it.

Well if you take a look at some of the others he is selling like this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20CM-Nakano-Azusa-ALTER-PVC-Figure-NEW-In-Box-Free-Shipping?item=220999246383&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8165651747806085475

,it even says "Alter" in the title. He has some Good Smile in there as well. Do bootleggers generally claim such a thing even if it's actually a fake?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd love to know how he got his hands on a figure that Hobby Search lists as "long sold out" (see link below) and why he is willing to sell it for half the price it was listed at when it was in stock. Come on, common sense dictates that there is something fishy here.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10109690
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Well if you take a look at some of the others he is selling like this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20CM-Nakano-Azusa-ALTER-PVC-Figure-NEW-In-Box-Free-Shipping?item=220999246383&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8165651747806085475

,it even says "Alter" in the title. He has some Good Smile in there as well. Do bootleggers generally claim such a thing even if it's actually a fake?
It also says it's a figure from One Piece when you scroll down...

No one indicator I mentioned will always be foolproof-- I think a lot of Nendoroid bootlegs mention Good Smile & Nendoroid too (I should know, I ended up with a fake Sebastian Nendo before I knew about bootlegging). Another dead give away I only mentioned in passing is the whole reason you asked the question: That price is too good to be true, which is another reason why I'm almost positive-- no, I'm absolutely positive-- this is a bootleg. The original sold for ¥6000-7000 something in 2010, which is about $75-90 dollars. There's just no way it's going to cost $35 now that it's 2 years OOP. It will cost more, not less.

I'm sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's better to know now before you buy anything else from the dude.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah, a Funi sale at RightStuf, just what I was waiting for! At last, Princess Jellyfish, you will be mine at a reasonable price! MWAHAHAHAHA!

*cough*

Also, so I could hit the free shipping mark, I threw in the second Gunsmith Cats omnibus.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes! My eBay spoils have arrived. I won an auction for the Pioneer release of Fushigi Yugi, both boxed sets and the OVAs. They're in pretty good shape. Some minor scratches on the discs, but nothing that affected playback when I tested them. I wound up spending $108 for everything, not a steal but less than Amazon marketplace sellers are asking when totaled.

Now, I should probably cancel my order for Media Blaster's release, assuming it ever does get released. I'm still waiting on Squid Girl Blu-ray. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
That is a good price, murph76. I had to fork over $175 to get those. Mind you, they are in immaculate condition.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Ah, a Funi sale at RightStuf, just what I was waiting for! At last, Princess Jellyfish, you will be mine at a reasonable price! MWAHAHAHAHA!

*cough*

Also, so I could hit the free shipping mark, I threw in the second Gunsmith Cats omnibus.

Not sure where you're from, but it may interest you to know that Princess Jellyfish is currently $10 cheaper on Amazon than it is on Rightstuf.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
That is a good price murph. I had to shell out $200 for the Suzaku and Seiryu sets...EACH. And I can't recall what the OAVs set me back. But, basically I dropped $500-$600 on the entirety of FY. Ah the good old days Razz

Quote:
Now, I should probably cancel my order for Media Blaster's release, assuming it ever does get released. I'm still waiting on Squid Girl Blu-ray.

But Squid Girl BD did get released. I bought it on Amazon a couple weeks ago and it's waiting for me at home right now.

Last edited by Sailor S on Thu May 03, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
supercreep: Eh, I already placed the order. Plus, I live in Iowa, so I'll get it in a week, week-and-a-half tops, which is quicker than Amazon.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I always find good stuff when I'm not looking for it. I popped into a coffee shop I'd never been in before (local place) and there were some CDs on display, and a box filled with final sale CDs. I glanced in the box and was surprised to see something I thought I recognized, and sure enough upon closer inspection it was the OST for Paprika. I've only seen Paprika once but I remembered liking the music and it was only $5 so I bought it. This is the first anime sound track I've bought. I've been listening to it and it's really great, much better than I remembered. I especially love the song The Girl in Byakkoya.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Yesterday, my husband found and purchased a copy of the Outlaw Star Anime Legends box set at Best Buy.

Also, in my mail the other day, I got the copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth that I ordered through a third party seller at Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Again, this is why I shouldn't be allowed into Newcastle unattended:

Devil and Her Love Song volume 2
Fullmetal Alchemist volume 12
Goong volume 3
Kimi ni Todoke volume 13
Sakura Hime volume 7
The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya hardcover
Toradora Volume 3
Tsubasa volume 13

I also very nearly blew £40 each on the Tatami Galaxy and House of 5 Leaves, but having already spent £50+ on the above, I couldn't do it, especially for 11 episode series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 880 of 1400