• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

So it's like Kimi to Boku?

No.

Its more like Hidamari Sketch than anything, honestly.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

No.

Dammit, I loved Hidamari Sketch. If only CR had gotten Acchi Kocchi...dammit, CR, why didn't you!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Space Brothers: I liked the first episode, but the supernatural/superstitious/alien aspects of the story were giving me a bad vibe. I will catch up on it soon, but if it is too heavy on the superstition and alien stuff, I won't keep going.

You don't have to worry-- The series is quite realistic and doesn't really have alien aspects. It's just that the boys think they saw a UFO when they which solidified their decision to become astronauts when they grow up.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).

In the manga too, everything is very, very detailed. There was also a post online somewhere about Hirata Hiroaki (voice of Mutta) visiting JAXA, and the staff were showing him the places used in the series, such as, "This is the stall where Mutta flushed his phone," etc. That one gave me a giggle.

I'd like to also point out that the places in tsuritama are also based on places in Enoshima. My Japanese friend goes around to locations used in anime and he went to Enoshima last month. You can view the tsuritama locations here.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).

I can't comment on the Houston Space Center, because its been about 10 years since I've been there. But I can say that they got the inside of the Metro bus right and that some of those office towers sure looked familiar.

I was disappointed with the park scene though. It was a very generic looking park, notably lacking any shots of the Miller Outdoor Theater or the nearby museum, despite showing both of them on the GPS. And they changed the name of the park (there's a PDF map if you scroll down) for some reason.
somestupidloser

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

No.

Dammit, I loved Hidamari Sketch. If only CR had gotten Acchi Kocchi...dammit, CR, why didn't you!

I don't know why no one picked it up, it really is adorable. Even those-that-shall-not-be-mentioned are really slacking on this show.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's good to see The Stream again! Those of us who don't have the mind or heart to actively follow a dozen different shows appreciate your efforts. Wink The Stream has shown to be a decent gauge of what shows I might want to try, and since I'm down to just two shows now (Fate/Zero and Hunter x Hunter), it'd be nice to throw another good show or two onto my lineup.

The downside is that there's nothing really jumping out of me this time around. Sad Both Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers sound like shows I'll probably like - and will probably eventually try - but they also sound like the kind of shows I'd enjoy more in larger chunks. Relaxed, character-centric shows tend to be that way for me. Take Chihayafuru (which I wouldn't have watched if not for The Stream, so thanks!) - I started it when it was already about 15 episodes in, and I loved it in 2-3 episode chunks. Once I was caught up, though, just getting 20 minutes every week didn't really do it for me and it was tough for me to stay invested. (This is the only reason I've never tried Incomprehensibly Skirted Space Pirates. Even the praising reviews tend to comment on the show being slow and leisurely, so I think that'd be better marathoned for me.)

What I really want is something that'll mentally stimulate me, but nothing looks too viable at the moment. Ah well, I'm grateful I still have Fate/Zero for the next couple months. And I'm looking forward to seeing how your opinions of the new shows develop.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
A dozen? Psh, I'm following thirty-two series. No way I'd be able to actually write about them all though Shocked
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
It's good to see The Stream again! Those of us who don't have the mind or heart to actively follow a dozen different shows appreciate your efforts. Wink The Stream has shown to be a decent gauge of what shows I might want to try, and since I'm down to just two shows now (Fate/Zero and Hunter x Hunter), it'd be nice to throw another good show or two onto my lineup.

The downside is that there's nothing really jumping out of me this time around. Sad Both Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers sound like shows I'll probably like - and will probably eventually try - but they also sound like the kind of shows I'd enjoy more in larger chunks. Relaxed, character-centric shows tend to be that way for me. Take Chihayafuru (which I wouldn't have watched if not for The Stream, so thanks!) - I started it when it was already about 15 episodes in, and I loved it in 2-3 episode chunks. Once I was caught up, though, just getting 20 minutes every week didn't really do it for me and it was tough for me to stay invested. (This is the only reason I've never tried Incomprehensibly Skirted Space Pirates. Even the praising reviews tend to comment on the show being slow and leisurely, so I think that'd be better marathoned for me.)

What I really want is something that'll mentally stimulate me, but nothing looks too viable at the moment. Ah well, I'm grateful I still have Fate/Zero for the next couple months. And I'm looking forward to seeing how your opinions of the new shows develop.

I can not believe that nothing this season interest you beyond those two shows continuing.

I LOVE that we can now make jokes about that debate and not get someone raging about it still, and not getting that we are making a joke about it.

I also highly recommend... (from this season)
Accel World
Acchi Kocchi
space bros& incomprehensibly short skirted space pirates
kids on the slope
detective conan/ case closed (get a speed watching guide)
eureka seven AO (previous season not necessary)
PoyoPoyo (skip episode 1 and enjoy 3 minute fun)
and episodes 2-4 of kuroko's basketball

also 32 would cause me to throw up, as it is I need to find ways to drop series on saturdays in particular (good luck with that though).
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I notice you didn't mention Bodacious Space pirates at all. Are you no longer following it, or maybe just putting it on hold since there's so much else airing right now?

She forgot that one, as well as Saki Side A. They'll both appear in the next column.

I just want to point out that this column is 8000 words long.

I figured she'd say something later about Pirates, it was her #1 show last season, after all. There will be love.

Is it me or is this season larger than the norm? Seems even larger than previous spring seasons to me, as well.

I do recall that some of my favorite shows were spring shows, so I figure that there will be something this season worth my time. Though this time it looks like nearly a dozen or more worth a look. BIG change from last season!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I notice you didn't mention Bodacious Space pirates at all. Are you no longer following it, or maybe just putting it on hold since there's so much else airing right now?

She forgot that one, as well as Saki Side A. They'll both appear in the next column.

I just want to point out that this column is 8000 words long.

I figured she'd say something later about Pirates, it was her #1 show last season, after all. There will be love.

Is it me or is this season larger than the norm? Seems even larger than previous spring seasons to me, as well.

I do recall that some of my favorite shows were spring shows, so I figure that there will be something this season worth my time. Though this time it looks like nearly a dozen or more worth a look. BIG change from last season!

favorite that is continuing.
there are a lot more simulcast and a few more shows this season, due to this actually being a really really strong season with a lot of big names, such as watabe(kids on the slope), eureka seven, accel world, medeka, lupin, kore wa zombie, naruko, kimi to boku, zetman not that that means the shows will all be good.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

favorite that is continuing.
there are a lot more simulcast and a few more shows this season, due to this actually being a really really strong season with a lot of big names, such as watabe(kids on the slope), eureka seven, accel world, medeka, lupin, kore wa zombie, naruko, kimi to boku, zetman not that that means the shows will all be good.

Yes, favorite that is continuing. Might mean she has to decide where to drop it in the ranked lineup.

I've noticed! It's essentially almost too many to remember. I honestly don't remember ever seeing an anime season with so MUCH that looks good ever before. I have a huge list of shows I want to give at least a couple episodes. Crazy! A little exciting, but my wallet certainly isn't excited.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Its about twice what I was following in Fall or Winter, so obviously for me its a good season.

I think that is the case for everyone
how was ozma? also I would highly recommend checking out the first two episodes of accel world

For mine, the show and story is "B". OZMA is a case where less is more. They are telling a story that needs five or six episodes to fill in the characters and the plot, and instead of spreading it across eleven to thirteen episodes, they just go ahead and tell the story in six.

Its the same Galaxy Express 999 / Star Battleship Yamato era character designs and direction animated with modern anime techniques, which some people really like and which some people really don't. I really liked that, so that helped the show for me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
From the sound of her review, Bamboo must start her evenings with the vodka then move on to the Cabernet just to slog through all these shows.

Since my favorites this season were all at the top of your list except for Lupin, I've signed up at Funimation just to watch this show on your recommendation.

I was concerned that Sakamichi no Apollon was going to take a turn for the trite in episode three, but episode four has removed any lingering doubts about this show. That's probably the best single episode of an anime series I've watched so far this year in terms of pacing, mood, performances, and use of music. I do wish the women's personalities were better developed, but I've accepted that this show will really be about Kaoru and Sentaro.

After week three I was thinking that Tsuritama had moved ahead of Apollon on my personal rankings, and it's still a very strong contender after episode four. It's the kind of show that can make me grin and occasionally giggle. It's certainly Nakamura's best work since Mononoke. There's a certain "night and day" (pace Cole Porter) aspect to this season's noitaminA pairing.

Space Brothers has been lagging a bit in terms of pace the last couple of episodes. I do like how the director includes little tributes to other movies about space -- the lung capacity testing scene from The Right Stuff and the thumb covering the moon from Apollo 13. I also found the depiction of transport in Houston pretty funny; relying on a bicycle and public transportation in a city built on petroleum would only make sense to a foreign author. My vision of Houston tends more to Peter Riegert's character driving his Porsche down the thruway in the opening of the movie Local Hero.

I started watching Polar Bear Cafe then got distracted and haven't gotten back to it yet. Since we agree on these other shows, I'll put it back on the list.

Thanks again, Bamboo, for your dedication and willingness to deal with gobs of saliva and those female triggers. As for me, I'll be watching Hyouge Mono for my Sengoku fix, even though at the current release pace it'll be at least another couple of years before it's completely subbed.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
I can't get why everyone likes Tsuritama, I saw the last episode, and while it is not bad at all, I would not consider it that good. the pacing of it is just screeming C to me, which means I am putting this on hold and waiting for the ending to see if it stinks or not.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found [C] cold and the characters and story unappealing. Tsuritama is entirely the opposite of that. Nakamura's shows in the past always seemed a bit distant from the story being portrayed. I didn't care about that in Bakeneko and Mononoke because the plots were compelling and the Apothecary was such an intriguing character. (Sakurai's performance added a lot to those shows as well.) I found it hard to become involved in either Kuuchuu Buranko or [C]. The characters in the former were just too weird, and the story in the latter was too contrived. Tsuritama is also a bit contrived, but the characters are much more appealing, and the story has a more naturalistic feeling than any of his other noitaminA shows, even though it has aliens in the cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11