• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Colorfully Clandestine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:

Technical achievements are nice but if I'm not invested in the story, characters, etc. I just find it difficult to care. Unfortunately Akira's story and characters really don't standout to me at first glance. I still may see it someday but it's a very low priority right now.

Yeah, Akira (the movie) is not exactly a grand achievement of plot and character development. The manga apparently is better in this regard (which it pretty much would have to be...), but I really can't remember a damn thing about the characters in Akira.

GitS is pretty interesting from the meta-human perspective, but again, Stand Alone Complex does the same thing, only better.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I saw Stand Alone Complex before attempting to watch the original GitS movie which might explain my aversion to the movie. Nothing I've heard about Innocence makes me want to see that either. I was pretty satisfied with SAC. The dialogue could get a little dense from time to time, but overall the meta-human stuff was fairly accessible.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
gee, I thought this would be about the other Colorful, the comedy anime about men trying to look up women's skirts and see their panties

anyway I liked The Avengers, but I liked The Cabin In The Woods more, The Cabin In The Woods is more my speed whereas The Avengers is obviously aimed at a younger audience (although if *I* saw it as a kid ScarJo would have caused me to start puberty early)
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Redline landed with a thud on Blu-Ray? Does that mean it didn't sell? Where can I find sales figures on that and what's considered a good amount of sales?
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It used to be GREAT CONVERSATIONAL JOY to pick apart these big movies with friends. Now, it just boils down to, "I saw that movie. It was pretty good. How's the family? Did you finally renovate your office?"

I don't think it's that you're getting old, Brian. I think it has more to do with people becoming more and more detached thanks to technology. People don't talk anymore. They make little snippets like this. They really could talk about the movie and break it down piece by piece, but slowly people are learning to be unsocial, so even talking about a movie is too much for people now. It's quite sad.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Del Rey being absorbed by Kodansha USA

I had to say something since this is a little pet peeve of mine...

Del Rey was not absorbed by Kodansha USA. Del Ray's manga division was removed with some of its staff now working for Kodansha USA. Del Rey itself is still very much what it always was, the branch of the US publisher Ballantine Books that focuses on science fiction and fantasy novels and sometimes also deals with comics, which is what it has been for decades.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
notazaku wrote:

Technical achievements are nice but if I'm not invested in the story, characters, etc. I just find it difficult to care. Unfortunately Akira's story and characters really don't standout to me at first glance. I still may see it someday but it's a very low priority right now.

Yeah, Akira (the movie) is not exactly a grand achievement of plot and character development. The manga apparently is better in this regard (which it pretty much would have to be...), but I really can't remember a damn thing about the characters in Akira.

GitS is pretty interesting from the meta-human perspective, but again, Stand Alone Complex does the same thing, only better.

I dunno. I recently went back and re-watched Akira and I definitely found it to be deep and thought-provoking. I think the "problem" is the change in what people value in entertainment today. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the change in value, but it certainly causes a problem for older pieces like Akira and GitS. What Akira and GitS had/have to say have now been done several times over, and in pretty ridiculous situations in some cases. The original effect they had on me back when I first watched them is now somewhat closed, since entertainment has put much of what made these movies "great" into the past.
That being said, there is a special value to these movies being aged. You won't likely ever see a new movie/show that ever uses the same techniques they used back then for animation, and when it comes to story, what each film has to say is still pretty unique.

I mean, if you were to try and sum each movie's plot in a nutshell, they would definitely sound ridiculous... but what appeals to people like me is their underlying intent and atmosphere. I've never seen anything like Akira or GitS since--not even Stand Alone Complex or its sequel match the special feeling from the original film(s).

That said, I'm not just saying you'll like it if you watch it. It's all about your personal experience and how it matches with your personal preference. I just don't really like it when people talk about older series using the same kinds of things they look for in newer series, and when they don't see it, or the older stuff doesn't appeal to them, they say it's "bad." That's like saying all of what we older fans loved about the movies are now invalid. You might as well be setting yourself up for disappointment when the next big generation of fans look back at today's stuff and start thinking things like, "I can't believe the 2000/10's fans liked this stuff when it's so badly written."

--------

Now, on the topic of region lock, I'm surprised no one has talked about the "bug" issue. As a constant importer, I've gone so far as to buy foreign game systems and, in the past, even a Japanese DVD player. So when I found out the DS and PSP were not region-locked, I was so happy! But then on one trip to Japan, I bought quite a few games on sale, including Visual Novels, and... to my utter disappointment, a few of them were extremely buggy on my American PSP. Later on, I bought a buggy DS game.
Of course, despite these issues, I still prefer no region-lock... but wouldn't buggy games on foreign systems be a major problem in trying to make all games region-free?
superdry

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Now, on the topic of region lock, I'm surprised no one has talked about the "bug" issue. As a constant importer, I've gone so far as to buy foreign game systems and, in the past, even a Japanese DVD player. So when I found out the DS and PSP were not region-locked, I was so happy! But then on one trip to Japan, I bought quite a few games on sale, including Visual Novels, and... to my utter disappointment, a few of them were extremely buggy on my American PSP. Later on, I bought a buggy DS game.
Of course, despite these issues, I still prefer no region-lock... but wouldn't buggy games on foreign systems be a major problem in trying to make all games region-free?

Are you saying the bugs you encountered were not present if you played the game on your Japanese PSP? Bugs in a game are platform agnostic - it's a problem with the game itself.

The only odd issue I've ever come across was a defective copy of Ouendan 2 for the DS where I actually got an error screen of some sort after playing it for an hour and the game wouldn't load after that.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
That said, I'm not just saying you'll like it if you watch it. It's all about your personal experience and how it matches with your personal preference. I just don't really like it when people talk about older series using the same kinds of things they look for in newer series, and when they don't see it, or the older stuff doesn't appeal to them, they say it's "bad." That's like saying all of what we older fans loved about the movies are now invalid. You might as well be setting yourself up for disappointment when the next big generation of fans look back at today's stuff and start thinking things like, "I can't believe the 2000/10's fans liked this stuff when it's so badly written."

My problem with Akira and GitS isn't that they are old, and newer anime has handled the same type of stories better. After thinking it over, it's more that they seem to be on the "hard" part of the sci-fi spectrum. With very few exceptions, hard sci-fi doesn't interest me and is in general not something I can get excited about. I did like GitS SAC over the original though, but I think that's mainly because I saw SAC first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3