• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's New Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Well now this is something to look forward to with the new additional cast. Those scientists and military characters...hmm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Does Joe look like Shirley Fenette's father to you guys? Has he been Sunrisen?

Last edited by ianiceboy on Mon May 07, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ianiceboy wrote:
Does Joe look like Shirley Finette's father to you guys? Has he been Sunrisen?

No her father had orange hair.

Also CLAMP recycled character designs from the TV series and just changed around the hair and eye colors on some characters.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Klaus, we need to see a Cheech and Chong ripoff starring him and Schneizel.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Looking at Klaus, we need to see a Cheech and Chong ripoff starring him and Schneizel.

I wouldn't be against that. Laughing

Finny-chan wrote:

Also CLAMP recycled character designs from the TV series and just changed around the hair and eye colors on some characters.

Well, it's ultimately less about CLAMP and more about Takahiro Kimura. His style doesn't allow for too many different types of faces/bodies, particularly when you're dealing with characters of around the same age. Past a certain point, they're going to look similar.

That's a common limitation though, which affects more anime artists and designers than what people usually want to accept. Half of the Evangelion cast essentially had Shinji's/Nadia's face, if you tried to compare them. The real difference is personality, in the end.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Eww, I sincerely hope that "music" is not an indication of what the OVA's soundtrack will be like. Sounds like someone is scratching their nails on a chalkboard through most of the trailer. Shocked

Aside from that, the series looks to be visually impressive at least.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The animation looks niiiiice. Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Damn the animation looks nice, especially that mecha action. Smile
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
hm, the action seems a bit too over the top for my taste. was kind of hoping for this ova to move a little more along the lines of something as gundam 8th ms team with a little more realism and a story not as derailing as the original code geass.
still, the animation looks incredible, should be a feast in hd if nothing more.
also, amazing soundtrack to this video. if they really go that route and incorporate free jazz elements into the ost, i would be a happy panda.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's very impressive looking. Unless they just showed us the shots that they blew most of the budget on and the rest looks like the animation from Freddy Got Fingered, this will look as flat out awesome as an OVA should.

What we've seen doesn't give a very strong feel for the quality of the story and characterization, but I like Kazuki Akane, so I'm inclined to be optimistic.

infiltration.cru wrote:
also, amazing soundtrack to this video. if they really go that route and incorporate free jazz elements into the ost, i would be a happy panda.

You and I both. It's a unusual and fairly daring choice for something like this, but it could have such a cool, distinct feel. I could imagine it helping to given the battles a dangerous, chaotic feel.

I can understand why other people might find it alienating. The more adventurous schools of jazz aren't very accessible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
infiltration.cru wrote:

You and I both. It's a unusual and fairly daring choice for something like this, but it could have such a cool, distinct feel. I could imagine it helping to given the battles a dangerous, chaotic feel.

I can understand why other people might find it alienating. The more adventurous schools of jazz aren't very accessible.

i felt instantly reminded of some of cowboy bebop's fight scenes. granted, the bebop ost doesn't quite get THAT wild but it still felt similar. replace spinning and whirling bodies with mechs and it's basically the same.

as right as it might be that this form of jazz might not be the most accessible one, i think that- once you get past the confusion and raw energy- it is easier to lose yourself in music like that. i don't have the slightest clue as to whose records i should track down to listen to it at home but whenever i hear this sort of jazz i immediately connect to it. you need no theoretical knowledge to appreciate it because it's just so out there that it simply disregards most rules. it's no wonder that a lot of the more experimental bands in extreme music tend to reference free jazz.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I for one am pretty pumped about this OAV. I also think the music is a pretty good fit for Code Geass too. It may be a different story once I see it though. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Eww, I sincerely hope that "music" is not an indication of what the OVA's soundtrack will be like. Sounds like someone is scratching their nails on a chalkboard through most of the trailer. Shocked

Aside from that, the series looks to be visually impressive at least.

As much as I love high-tension jazz, I'd have to agree. The track kept up the elevated pitch throughout, which wasn't great. If they're shooting for a Cowboy Bebop-esque style with the score for Akito, I'd advise they tone it down a tad.

Other than that, I think it looks very promising. The premise sounds cool and intriguing politically/thematically, and the character designs, while some are recycled CLAMP kids, are at least attractive and the main ones, memorable.
aquarius46

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
"Mayu Irino will star as the W-0 pilot Akito"

Shouldn't it be Miyu Irino?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
i don't have the slightest clue as to whose records i should track down to listen to it at home but whenever i hear this sort of jazz i immediately connect to it. you need no theoretical knowledge to appreciate it because it's just so out there that it simply disregards most rules. it's no wonder that a lot of the more experimental bands in extreme music tend to reference free jazz.

In this case, Ichiko Hashimoto of RahXephon is the composer, and in addition to jazz she seems to include a large variety of different styles and influences throughout her music, as noted here.

She doesn't get much anime work but her RahXephon soundtrack was quite well received, and it also had more experimentation than what is usually expected. Like I've said a couple of times before, I think people will calm down when they either hear the rest of the soundtrack or, for that matter, Yoko Kanno's OP theme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2