• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipodi

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ANN_Bamboo"]
Agent355 wrote:

Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).

Well, since Bamboo has done a tremendous service to readers, I figure someone should answer the question considering that it remains unanswered.

I have been living in Houston for over 10 years had taken my young cousin to Johnson Space Center last year (or Space Center Houston - not Houston Space Center). Yes, the depiction is fairly accurate. Of course, there are more displays inside the center then what have been depicted. There are also more rooms for films, documentaries, and movies, etc. The place is trying to be kids-friendly so there are models hanging off the ceiling and on display, etc. These are not shown so it gives the center a more sterile feeling than it really is.

In addition, in Ep. 4, they have done a great job depicting the park ("Houston Sun Park" - known as the Hermann Park) and the airport. The landmarks surrounding the Park as shown on Mutta's GPS are completely accurate.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
cee-ripes Bamboo, That had to have been what, 61/2 - 7 hours of shows just for this one column? Plus a 8,000 word write up. How long did it take you to get through all that? Good show Bamboo.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
Soul Tsukino wrote:
cee-ripes Bamboo, That had to have been what, 61/2 - 7 hours of shows just for this one column? Plus a 8,000 word write up. How long did it take you to get through all that? Good show Bamboo.

and it is going to be bigger next week (if the number of streams actually does increase). I love this column the most I think. I really hope it continues and does well. I would guess it took around 10 hours.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I was a child, I distinctly remember an incident where I drank so much cherry-flavored Icee that I spent an entire night vomiting red, sugary misery.

hehehehehe Smile I did the same thing with pepsi blue xD painful memories, painful Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
There's a few shows I hope she doesn't drop simply to see her commentary on them every other week, but I have the feeling they won't be sticking around for the sake of time constraint and her sanity.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Space Brothers has been lagging a bit in terms of pace the last couple of episodes. I do like how the director includes little tributes to other movies about space -- the lung capacity testing scene from The Right Stuff and the thumb covering the moon from Apollo 13. I also found the depiction of transport in Houston pretty funny; relying on a bicycle and public transportation in a city built on petroleum would only make sense to a foreign author. My vision of Houston tends more to Peter Riegert's character driving his Porsche down the thruway in the opening of the movie Local Hero.

Just to note-- The references are included in the original manga and aren't something the anime director just added in. =)

Well, I haven't seen The Right Stuff so I didn't pick out any references and naturally don't remember it, but it was probably there in the manga too. I know the Apollo 13 reference was definitely there.

Oh, so I went and watched the live-action movie of Uchuu Kyoudai on Saturday. Mmm... I won't spoil it, but if you've read the manga then the movie might not be as enjoyable because you end up nit-picking the differences. One change I don't understand why they made was that the loose screw was on the left side of the chair instead of the right! Why? ^^;; Major characters such as Sharon, Nitta, and Azuma don't appear at all. They don't talk about Brian. Buzz Alrin makes a cameo and his character replaces Deniel. A bunch of scenes were changed and many were taken out entirely. Then because they needed to have a conclusion, they time skipped and it ended with something that has yet to happen in the manga. Guess it can't be helped when you try to condense 17 volumes of an ongoing series into a 2-hour movie. The movie wasn't really BAD, but I can't say it was good either, at least not after knowing how awesome the manga is. I didn't feel Oguri Shun was the best choice for Mutta either. The little kid who played Hibito as a child was cute.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for those comments, GokuMew2, but I hope you aren't intending to talk about differences between the manga and the anime in future posts about Uchuu Kyoudai. Personally speaking as an anime-only viewer, I don't care what was in the manga.

Actually if you want to engage in a discussion about this show, I suggest you post in the thread about the show itself.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Thanks for those comments, GokuMew2, but I hope you aren't intending to talk about differences between the manga and the anime in future posts about Uchuu Kyoudai. Personally speaking as an anime-only viewer, I don't care what was in the manga.

Actually if you want to engage in a discussion about this show, I suggest you post in the thread about the show itself.

The anime has been quite close to the manga so far so I don't feel the need to compare them, and I'm pretty sure the anime will be a faithful adaptation. I only posted here about the movie because I remember someone mentioning the movie before and I had said that I would be watching it. Sorry if you felt I posted in the wrong section. (I only post/check threads for articles on the site and not the actual forum itself.)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

The anime has been quite close to the manga so far so I don't feel the need to compare them, and I'm pretty sure the anime will be a faithful adaptation. I only posted here about the movie because I remember someone mentioning the movie before and I had said that I would be watching it. Sorry if you felt I posted in the wrong section. (I only post/check threads for articles on the site and not the actual forum itself.)

I remember posting that a while ago on ANN. thanks for the info, that's sad it's not a good adaptation, but I can't say I am surprised, even if the series needs a kick in the pants, it's not that slow, and no matter what 17 volumes is just to much material.
I will say that I have never thought muta and hibito looked like brothers, but in the live action they actually do.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I'd like to also point out that the places in tsuritama are also based on places in Enoshima. My Japanese friend goes around to locations used in anime and he went to Enoshima last month. You can view the tsuritama locations here.

This is a great link! Thanks!

ipodi wrote:

I have been living in Houston for over 10 years had taken my young cousin to Johnson Space Center last year (or Space Center Houston - not Houston Space Center). Yes, the depiction is fairly accurate. Of course, there are more displays inside the center then what have been depicted. There are also more rooms for films, documentaries, and movies, etc. The place is trying to be kids-friendly so there are models hanging off the ceiling and on display, etc. These are not shown so it gives the center a more sterile feeling than it really is.

In addition, in Ep. 4, they have done a great job depicting the park ("Houston Sun Park" - known as the Hermann Park) and the airport. The landmarks surrounding the Park as shown on Mutta's GPS are completely accurate.

This is also good to know; thanks! The last time I was in Houston was the summer of 1999, and I remember spending a couple weekends at the space center. I remembered the green area outside (with the various shuttles) looking as it did in the show, but wasn't sure about the other parts. Something definitely started jogging my memory, though.

And thanks for the correction on the proper name of the space center. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for continuing with Hunter X Hunter. I will be curious to keep seeing your thoughts on the show. I have been pleasantly surprised pretty much every week. When I first started watching, for example,spoiler[ I was sure that Killua was going to be played up as one of these characters who is the friend of the hero and yet be turned into some jerkwad antagonist] like what happens in Naruto with spoiler[Sasuke]. I was so happy to see that this show goes in a different direction.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote

This has got to be one of the worst previews for a season I have ever, ever read.

Bamboo Dong, what type of research do you use when you do a preview? It seems more based on your personal feelings rather than a general overview. You're so good at typing a full list of goodies about Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) listed below:

Quote:
#1 - Kids on the Slope [ep. 1-3]

The smash hit of the season, Kids on the Slope reunites Cowboy Bebop producer Shinichiro Watanabe with acclaimed composer Yoko Kanno, which in anime fandom is not unlike the brouhaha of seeing Guns ‘n’ Roses do a reunion tour. A love sonnet to jazz music, Kids on the Slope is all at once nostalgic and exhilarating. For those who haven't had a chance to watch it yet, the series follows three friends—sweet class president Ritsuko, hoodlum-with-a-heart-of-gold and drummer Sentaro, and the shy transfer student Kaoru. The latter inadvertently becomes friends with Sentaro, who introduces him to jazz, a thrilling departure from the strict confines of classical piano that Kaoru grew up with. As the two cement their friendship, Kaoru finds himself crushing on Ritsuko and dealing with the pains of high school romance.

What's immediately noticeable about Kids on the Slope is the painstakingly beautiful and detailed animation. The animators have gone to great lengths to make sure that everything is lifelike and realistic—Sentaro's drumming matches the incidental music perfectly; when Kaoru plays Debussy, he plays the right notes. No corners have been cut, and it pays off. It's a breathtaking piece of art, and it carries with it an indescribable air—whether it's the subdued color palette or the folksy character designs, the series carries an atmosphere of mid-century nostalgia.

At its core, Kids on the Slope is also a wonderfully feel-good story about friendship. Kaoru and Sentaro are an odd couple, but it's heart-warming to see their relationship grow. There's a priceless scene in which the two are angry at each other, but through a jam session, warm up to each other and end in laughter. It's male camaraderie at its rosiest, and it's hard not to smile when the two begrudgingly fall into friendship.

It's hard to sell Kids on the Slope. It's a slice of life show, which already puts it at a disadvantage amongst the crowd who crave either laughter or action, but it's also hard to succinctly describe why this series is so enjoyable. There's something pleasurable and comforting about watching this series, like drinking Coca-Cola from a glass bottle on a hot summer day; it's not the actual event or action, but the connotation of good memories in years past. Still, Kids on the Slope deserves to be lauded, and I can only hope that Watanabe's name is enough to convince fans to give the series a shot. It's beautiful to watch and easy on the heart, and if you're a music lover, it'll definitely bring a smile to your face.

But you certainly fail to do a more proper preview on Fate/Zero?

Quote:
#4 - Fate/Zero [ep. 14-16]

It's easy to see why Fate/Zero is so popular. Visually, it's spectacular. The fights are eerily beautiful and lovingly choreographed, and it's obvious that the production team wasn't willing to fall back on standard sword clashes. The battles are so unique and interesting that one can't help but sit back and gawk every episode, whether it's between two weapon wielders, two flying machines, or a bevy of monsters. Combined with impeccable sound design and a swelling soundtrack, these action scenes take Fate/Zero to the next level.

The second season picks up right where the first season left off, continuing the Holy Grail War and the events around it. There's a conflict between Saber and Lancer that's been a long time in the making, and even though it's a little nerve-wracking to watch, it good to see the series heading toward the finish line. While it was at times frustrating in the first season that none of the characters were being disposed of, things are definitely getting more serious and I'm more than ready for the show to start crescendoing. It looks like this season is off to a good start.

You definitely didn't dive deep enough in the whole Fate Series and in fact didn't play the visual novel, either. Do you even know anything about the visual novel and where it stands? Do you know where Fate/Zero stands among the viewers compared to Sakamichi no Apollon? What points did you get from Fate/Zero's first season that you didn't like? Did you get the storyline from beyond what's presented in Fate/Zero (obviously not, looking at your preview)? Do you even know who produced Fate/Zero since your so good at pointing out the producers in Sakamichi no Apollon? ... Dis-APPOINTING.

ANN is good for one thing ... News. Everything else is garbage.

Edit -- Before I even forget, there's even a more mesh-mash across your seasonal preview ... sigh ...
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems more based on your personal feelings rather than a general overview.

These are reviews. That's what this section is. Your disagreeing with others' opinions and lack of objectivity is irrelevant.

Quote:
Do you even know who produced Fate/Zero since your so good at pointing out the producers in Sakamichi no Apollon?
Did you get the storyline from beyond what's presented in Fate/Zero?

Bamboo being interested enough by Kids on the Slope to research production companies in no way invalidates her ability to review Fate/zero based on its anime adaptation and nothing more, which is what this review section is about. Fate/zero is a prequel, yes, but it is a standalone work and is being reviewed as such. There is no reason she should research Fate/zero by playing the original visual novel, which, incidentally, is illegal. ANN doesn't do illegal.

Your comments regarding the visual novel are patently ludicrous. Incidentally, please tell me you're aware that Fate/zero is adapted from four light novels. Otherwise your entire "argument" is invalid and hypocritical.

Finally, regarding Bamboo's "even a more mesh-mash across [her] seasonal preview"... no, I don't know what I can say to that.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

This has got to be one of the worst previews for a season I have ever, ever read.

Well, it isn't a preview; it's a running, ranked set of reviews of the current season.

acetatsujin wrote:
Bamboo Dong, what type of research do you use when you do a preview?

Presumably as much as is reasonable for somebody writing a column about twenty shows, which came out to over eight thousand words, while having other editorial duties here and a professional career outside of anime. (Pursing a doctorate, I believe... I'm sure that's just four hours a week and alternative weekends)

acetatsujin wrote:
It seems more based on your personal feelings rather than a general overview.

I don't understand... what else could her opinions be based upon?

acetatsujin wrote:
You're so good at typing a full list of goodies about Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope)

But you certainly fail to do a more proper preview on Fate/Zero?

Do you even know who produced Fate/Zero since your so good at pointing out the producers in Sakamichi no Apollon? ... Dis-APPOINTING.

I presume that she wrote more about Kids on the Slope because this is the first time that it has appeared in The Stream, whereas Fate/Zero is very much a known quantity, as the first season appeared regularly in prior columns. She took special note of some of the staff working on Kids on the Slope because a lot of people have had high hopes and expectations of a new collaboration between them. I don't doubt that she could easily learn the production staff of Fate/Zero, but that's old news and interest in that series isn't as strongly driven by the staff. I suspect that she might also have given Kids on the Slope more attention because liked it better and because she wants it to succeed, so she had more to say and wanted to say more to encourage people to watch it, whereas Fate/Zero already has a built-in audience, thus it needs little extra promotion.

acetatsujin wrote:
You definitely didn't dive deep enough in the whole Fate Series and in fact didn't play the visual novel, either. Do you even know anything about the visual novel and where it stands? Do you know where Fate/Zero stands among the viewers compared to Sakamichi no Apollon? What points did you get from Fate/Zero's first season that you didn't like? Did you get the storyline from beyond what's presented in Fate/Zero (obviously not, looking at your preview)?

She's reviewing a lot of anime here, not particular franchises. This column is written for a pretty wide audience, many of whom are not acquainted with other parts of the Fate/ franchise, so it doesn't much a lot of sense to go to that depth to get a perspective that won't benefit a lot of people.

I gather that you are a, let's diplomatically say, very dedicated fan of the franchise, and thus for some reason infuriated that she isn't kowtowing to your opinions and expectations. Yet, she ranked it fourth place in a crowded season and usually placed the first season highly before. How exactly is that dissatisfying?

acetatsujin wrote:
ANN is good for one thing ... News. Everything else is garbage.

Oh, Reginald! I DISAGREE!

acetatsujin wrote:
Edit -- Before I even forget, there's even a more mesh-mash across your seasonal preview ... sigh ...

What is this supposed mean?

I just can't get people who get so inflamed at critical opinion, especially when it seems to have just not been positive enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
has acetatsujin been banned yet because that post deserves it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11