• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon on Jetix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LxTrix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
What we really want is to hear the news of dvd releases. I wish Bandai was better at such things.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
i want them on dvd not tv again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope they release the movies onto DVD soon. I rarely have time to sit down and watch anything these days.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
What we really want is to hear the news of dvd releases. I wish Bandai was better at such things.

Bandai doesn't have the Digimon license. It's Disney.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Finally!! I wasn't able to watch them before because I don't have digital cable. I hope they were dubbed a good as the 2nd Diablomon movie.

Hika Yagami
lledra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
I for one would buy the Digimon DVD's if any were to ever come out. I Loved the first 3 Series of Digimon, I would so buy those, and the movies. I have been wanting Digimon on DVD since I got a DvD player. There's like no Dvd's though, *BAH*!!

Crying or Very sad DIGIMON!!!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
LxTrix wrote:

Bandai doesn't have the Digimon license. It's Disney.

Disney licenses it from Bandai, but the license does prevent Bandai from releasing their own DVDs. The license is nearly 10 years old now I believe so I'm surprised it hasn't expired yet unless Disney renewed it when when buying out Fox Family and Saban or some other time recently.

Oh well, still haven't had a chance to watch these yet so I'm looking forward to them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
To clarify what is going on with the Digimon contract, Saban owned the contract to the series and gave BANDAI the toy and video game rights. When Saban was bought out by Disney, the rights for the Digimon series went with the Saban contract to Disney. BANDAI has never had the rights to the series, so Disney does not have to purchase rights from them. Instead BANDAI has to get the rights for new toy releases from Disney, but they have bought the video game rights from Disney now so they don't have to go through them for each new game.

It is rumored (but not confirmed) that Disney will release the 4th through 7th movies on one DVD depending on what the ratings are like, and who knows, if the ratings are high enough they may releases the series on DVD like they did for Fantastic Four.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
lledra wrote:
I for one would buy the Digimon DVD's if any were to ever come out. I Loved the first 3 Series of Digimon, I would so buy those, and the movies. I have been wanting Digimon on DVD since I got a DvD player. There's like no Dvd's though, *BAH*!!

Crying or Very sad DIGIMON!!!

Actually that's not entirely true. The first 13 episodes from season 1 have been released on DVD in the US. They are just extremly hard to find now. All of season 1 has been released in the UK now though on DVD.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh i forgot about Disney's role. Maybe thats the reason why there is no dvd releases. I guarnentee the sales would be high. I don't really think disney cares for digimon, i think they just wanted power rangers or something lol.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Oh i forgot about Disney's role. Maybe thats the reason why there is no dvd releases. I guarnentee the sales would be high. I don't really think disney cares for digimon, i think they just wanted power rangers or something lol.

Considering that Disney has yet to have released any Power Rangers box sets, they don't seem to care about what airs on Jetix period. Luckily Dragon Booster is being released by FUNimation, but many fans do want there Digimon and Power Rangers box sets. If you haven't bought the Fantastic Four box set, then I'd encourage you to do so so that we can get more box sets. Gargoyles, Fantastic Four, Ducktales, and Rescue Rangers are Disney's only animated series to have recieved this treatment so far, but if they continue to sell well, then Digimon, Power Rangers, and maybe Shinzo won't be far off with box sets.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
disney has always been niggardly with releasing anime on dvd. Just look at how slow they were from time of rights acquisition to finally releasing on DVD with Miyazaki's films, and them FINALLY doing so was in no small part due to Pixar's John Laseteer (sp?).

Also, I doubt if digimon IS released on DVD that they'll have anything BUT the dub on it. Now, I liked digimon when it was in dub, but I've gotten a hold of what fansubs there are, and all I gotta say is that the sub (IMO) is better. For example, Digimon Tamers (season 3) is supposedly far darker than Digimon Adventures (seasons 1 and 2), but though it is shown to be so even in the dub, it's not as obvious. My main beef is them throwing in all those lame and unneeded jokes, and even messing with how characters are presented (Davis, the english character of Daisuke from 02, is an annoying little brat, while Daisuke is actually a fairly admirable character with some flaws....how the same character came across in english was far different from how he was presented in the japanese dub), not necessarilly because they put it in english. ANd not that the voice actors are all that bad (I know they've done serious work before. I heard at least THREE voice actors in the english dub of Akira that I knew due to their roles in the digimon dub), it's just that the writers of the translations sucked.

Still, if the dvds were to be released in the U.S. (FULL SEASON dvd's....not a sampling of episodes here, and a sampling there, and forget all those others inbetween), even if they were dub-only, I'd still get them, if only for nostalgia purposes.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
another thing about Disney its like they like to take their time, because with their main animated films they wait awhile to release these special editions on dvd, Digimon is my first favorite anime and i really want to own it, sadly i wish someone would make a high quality bootleg for me, becuase i doubt disney will get around to digimon
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
To clarify what is going on with the Digimon contract, Saban owned the contract to the series and gave BANDAI the toy and video game rights. When Saban was bought out by Disney, the rights for the Digimon series went with the Saban contract to Disney. BANDAI has never had the rights to the series, so Disney does not have to purchase rights from them. Instead BANDAI has to get the rights for new toy releases from Disney, but they have bought the video game rights from Disney now so they don't have to go through them for each new game.

I'm going to have to challenge this statement. Digimon was created by Bandai, originally it was their boys version of the Tamagotchi. Any copyright information you find about the toys are going to have no mention of Disney, but rather "© Akiyoshi Hongo · Toei Animation. TM & © 1997-2005 Bandai. DIGIMON, DIGITAL MONSTERS and all related logos, names and distinctive likenesses thereof are the property of Bandai/Toei Animation. Used under license by Bandai America Incorporated." or some such variation. Unless you can prove otherwise, Disney doesn't hold a master license over all things Digimon, Bandai does, they created it. Disney's reach only goes as far as the animation itself and does so under license, not ownership.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Actually that's not entirely true. The first 13 episodes from season 1 have been released on DVD in the US. They are just extremly hard to find now. All of season 1 has been released in the UK now though on DVD.

Maximum Entertainment have started re-releasing the first series on DVD. Thus far they've not got any further into the series than the original Fox Kids VHS tapes and, worryingly, I can no longer find all the planned releases listed on play.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1