• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mardock Scramble Manga Ends in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDuks

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
That's nice. Now where's my second movie?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Though I was a little apprehensive about the manga version of the story, especially with the character designs that were chosen for the main characters, and also the changes resulting from the subject matter, I've come to accept it and like it for what it is. It's not too far off the story of the novels. At least now I know there's a total of six volumes to the manga, so I only have two more to buy when they come out. Still looking forward to movies Two and Three when Sentai releases them in N.A.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The manga is certainly a different experience from both the novel and the animated movie(s).

Like GhostShell, I originally found it difficult to get into Oima Yoshitoki's adaptation, but really started to enjoy it around the second volume. It is definitely different, and I'm not terribly crazy about some of the character designs, but it is a really fun treat for fans of Mardock Scramble.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
The manga is certainly a different experience from both the novel and the animated movie(s).

Like GhostShell, I originally found it difficult to get into Oima Yoshitoki's adaptation, but really started to enjoy it around the second volume. It is definitely different, and I'm not terribly crazy about some of the character designs, but it is a really fun treat for fans of Mardock Scramble.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Interestingly, I preferred the look and feel of the sample pages Oima Yoshitoki did in 2008 that were included at the back of Volume One of the manga. Balot looked closer to her age (15) in that sample and the tone was a little darker. The final Balot design looks a little too young in the manga. I agree, though, that after reading Volume Two, I began to enjoy it more.

Of the movie version of The First Compression, I felt it could have been longer and I definitely preferred the director's cut version. It was closer to the book. Certainly the scenes involving the Bandersnatch Gang could have been lengthened. I thought the battle scenes involving them were glossed over and ended far too quickly.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The second movie had even less action than the first, although it did have freaking FLYING SHARKS OF DOOM which has to count for something. Smile
Am looking forward to the final part of the trilogy when it drops later this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1