• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Next' Tales Of… RPG Previewed Before June Unveiling

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
OMG OMG OMG, Can't WAIT!!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
I love Tales series, but kinda hard to get excited knowing we probably won't get it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I love Tales series, but kinda hard to get excited knowing we probably won't get it.

We got Graces F (which I bought) and possibly are getting Xillia. Who knows.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

We got Graces F (which I bought) and possibly are getting Xillia. Who knows.

If this is a new game on PS3, PS4 will probably be out by the time it comes up for localization and Namco of America isn't big on releasing games on old systems. So you'd have the fact they are hesitant to bring Tales games over AND the fact they don't like supporting old systems working against this game most likely.

Thats just if its PS3. If its PSP or something, then lol no way would we get it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Why do Japanese devs keep making games for the PSP anyway? It's a pathetically outdated system by this point.

Is it just Japan's cultural resistance to change?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why do Japanese devs keep making games for the PSP anyway? It's a pathetically outdated system by this point.

Well PSP is still very successful... it STILL typically outsells all of the individual consoles in Japan. It basically lets them make budget games with a high potential for sales. Japan as a whole prefers handhelds in recent years since they're Japanese focused and not full of niche American games like the consoles are. For example, something like Mass Effect 3 sold 8k copies in Japan, vs 800k for Tales of Xillia. (I wish America had tastes like that... =/)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It does great in Japan. That's why.

Sort of how Americans keep making 360 games despite it being dead in Japan.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
And I wish Forza Motorsport 4 had sold better in Japan. Different markets, different tastes.
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
We also still get more Tales games than we don't, well, in the main series at least.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
While I'm all for Tales games coming out in the US, I also don't mind waiting for the final revision to come out and just getting that version. Would have sucked getting burned with just Graces on Wii like we did with the whole Vesperia thing.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I bought Tales of Graces F a couple weeks ago and the guy at Gamestop said that the game had been selling really well (I think he said he had sold 8 that day, none of which were pre-ordered). Obviously this is just anecdotal but hopefully we get more Tales games.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
While I'm all for Tales games coming out in the US, I also don't mind waiting for the final revision to come out and just getting that version. Would have sucked getting burned with just Graces on Wii like we did with the whole Vesperia thing.

There was no problem with our Vesperia version, it was still a complete game. Adding extra content later on means that was a directors cut, not that our version was somehow gimped.
opn

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
okay that artwork is freaken beautiful probably tales best that its had so far and i'd be shocked if its anything but PS3. anyway if this comes over here i'll buy it day one no doubt.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Not keeping my hope's up.

Just another Tales game we won't get over here.

I've learned to live with the disappointment.

And about ToGf selling well....not really. The numbers were leaked. It sold less than 80,000 copies, which is not really well in sales.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love this series and can't wait for more details. Xillia looks really interesting as well and I keep hoping it comes stateside - come on Namco! I don't even own a PS3 yet and I bought a copy of Graces F for the cause!

Chagen46 wrote:

In addition to what others have said (particularly cheap cost for dev), there's a lot more commuting by mass transit in Japan than in the US. Rather than trying to fight for TV time in the family living room to knock out a potentially 50 hour+ single player experience, it makes sense that people would rather buy handheld games for their bus/train commutes to work/school. And at this point, there's so much content for PSP that people keep buying and playing them, so devs keep making games for the PSP while the Vita finds its legs. That's my guess, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2