• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: January Shonen Jump Biggest Ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
That's still about 100 pages less than the average issue of Shonen Jump is every week in Japan.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
That's still about 100 pages less than the average issue of Shonen Jump is every week in Japan.

Yeah where the pages are printed on brittle, mega-recycled paper and the ink is faded and like 30 times more people buy it than they do here.

Different market, different publication.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
About freaking time we get a decent-sized issue again!

The latest issues have been about half the size they used to be.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Now if they could just increase all of their current series chapters by +1 or +2 every issue.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

And Yes Jump comes out like weekly or bi-weekly over there and monthly over here. And yes more people are buying it in Japan and ther'e's more demand for it, which mean companies get bigger fund to produce bigger books and yada yada yada. It's obvious. Different Market, different situation.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
This sounds awesome.
Grebo Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Uhhhh... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!?

The Winking Samurai wrote: "About freaking time we get a decent-sized issue again! The latest issues have been about half the size they used to be."

Oh really??? So the recent issues have been, what, 179 pages long? NO, I don't think so. Check for yourself, genius!

In fact, Jump's page counts have been consistent pretty much throughout the whole magazine's whole run. Overall, they've averaged about 350 pages per issue (plus or minus 52 pages or so), and they've NEVER done an issue that was less than 288 pages -- which is still over 100 pages MORE than the figure you're claiming.

It's true that the magazine has been PHYSICALLY smaller lately, but I think that's because they must have changed to a different kind of paper or something. This seems to have happened with issue #28 -- if you check, issue #27 is 360 pages long and is about 3/4" thick, while issue #28 is 368 pages (8 pages LONGER than #27!) but is about 1/2" thick. More pages, thinner book. Ta-dah!

You don't believe me? Do the math yourself, loudmouth. I did!

See, in their first year, Jump's page count ranged from 288 (first issue, smallest ever) to 364 pages, averaging about 352. In their second year, they ranged from 352 to 384 pages, with 360-368 being about average. In the third year (which I guess is what you mean by "the latest issues"), the page count ranged from 312 to 368, with an average of 336 pages per issue. (Roughly; I can't include #36 as I don't have it.)

So:
The 1st year's average page count was 352.
The 2nd year's average page count was 364.
The 3rd year's average page count was 336.

Clearly, the 2nd year's average page count was 12 pages higher than the first year's. The 3rd year's page count was 16 pages lower than the 1st year's, a.k.a. 28 pages lower than the 2nd year's. Ulimtately, the 3rd year's average page count was 22 pages less than the previous 2 years' averaged count (358).

And now they've done their biggest issue ever -- 392 pages -- which is actually 56 pages longer than the third year's average, and is only 8 pages more than their previous largest issue (issue #16, 384 pages).

So, Winking Samurai, you say the latest issues have been "about half the size they used to be," but the facts say that the latest issues have been about 94% the size they used to be.

Good job of shooting off your mouth without thinking, dude.

Grebo

P.S. - To "show my work," here's a page count for EVERY ISSUE yet (except for issues #0, #00, and #36 - which I haven't received):
1 - 288
2 - 328
3 - 352
4 - 336
5 - 336
6 - 352
7 - 352
8 - 336
9 - 336
10 - 328
11 - 364
12 - 352
13 - 360
14 - 352
15 - 360
16 - 384
17 - 376
18 - 368
19 - 352
20 - 368
21 - 360
22 - 368
23 - 368
24 - 360
25 - 336
26 - 344
27 - 360
28 - 368 (looks like the issue where they changed paper)
29 - 312
30 - 336
31 - 320
32 - 328
33 - 320
34 - 360
35 - 320
36 - ??? (I don't have this issue yet)
37 - 392 (according to the report)
domino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally buy the english version of Shonen Jump, but if Gintama is going to be in it I think I'll change my mind. Razz

Gintama is one of the funniest manga I've ever read and is one of the top manga in Japan right now. I hope English readers enjoy it enough for it to get some time in the spotlight overseas. Though it'll be interesting to see how they translate all of the puns and jokes (the manga itself is kind of dirty, as its title itself is a pun on the Japanese word for testicles).

I hope people enjoy it! It's like Rurouni Kenshin on crack. Very Happy

And I'd like to see how they're going to make an article about the Gintama TV series when there IS no Gintama TV series. They must mean the OVA that comes out in Japan this winter?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well they obviously didn't think about some titles before they licensed them I'm sure Gintama's not that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Grebo Guru wrote:
It's true that the magazine has been PHYSICALLY smaller lately, but I think that's because they must have changed to a different kind of paper or something. This seems to have happened with issue #28 -- if you check, issue #27 is 360 pages long and is about 3/4" thick, while issue #28 is 368 pages (8 pages LONGER than #27!) but is about 1/2" thick. More pages, thinner book. Ta-dah!

Yes, they did switch to smaller papers and bindings, likely for cost and appearance issues. Though personally, I think it's more impressive to have the bigger issues on my shelves, but whatever.

Izlude wrote:
Now if they could just increase all of their current series chapters by +1 or +2 every issue.

I know what you mean. One Piece at least has three chapters per issue, but it's pathetic that the others only have two chapters. (And yes, I realize that the Japan Jump only has one chapter of a manga per issue, but it has 20 manga and comes out weekly.) At least Naruto went up to three chapters last issue. Know how to get more chapters in, like at least one per manga? Get rid of the previews and some of the useless features on One Piece toys!

Zac wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Yeah where the pages are printed on brittle, mega-recycled paper and the ink is faded and like 30 times more people buy it than they do here.

Different market, different publication.

Yeah, when I picked up two issues over there this summer, I was really impressed by the amount of manga in each weekly issue. Then I opened the book and saw crappy paper (in slightly different color shades every 75 or so pages, like tinted pink or green or yellow) and really poor print quality. In fact, every manga magazine I bought over there was really poor quality, though the tankobon seemed alright. (With slipcovers! Whee!)
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, why can't they just start printing it bi-monthly? 2-3 chapters a month is unbearable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Dammit, why can't they just start printing it bi-monthly? 2-3 chapters a month is unbearable.

I think you mean "bi-weekly" and you get roughly the same amount of content the Japanese get on a month-to-month basis.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
And then waiting for the manga books release is even more terrible. I've been buying Naruto and One Piece since 8th grade, and we're just now getting on the 7th volume of Naruto and the upcoming 8th volume of One Piece. I'm in 10th grade now. ~_~ and the waits drive me crazy.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Grebo Guru"]Uhhhh... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!?

The Winking Samurai wrote: "About freaking time we get a decent-sized issue again! The latest issues have been about half the size they used to be."

Oh really??? So the recent issues have been, what, 179 pages long? NO, I don't think so. Check for yourself, genius!

In fact, Jump's page counts have been consistent pretty much throughout the whole magazine's whole run. Overall, they've averaged about 350 pages per issue (plus or minus 52 pages or so), and they've NEVER done an issue that was less than 288 pages -- which is still over 100 pages MORE than the figure you're claiming.

You don't believe me? Do the math yourself, loudmouth. I did!

See, in their first year, Jump's page count ranged from 288 (first issue, smallest ever) to 364 pages, averaging about 352. In their second year, they ranged from 352 to 384 pages, with 360-368 being about average. In the third year (which I guess is what you mean by "the latest issues"), the page count ranged from 312 to 368, with an average of 336 pages per issue. (Roughly; I can't include #36 as I don't have it.)

So:
The 1st year's average page count was 352.
The 2nd year's average page count was 364.
The 3rd year's average page count was 336.

Clearly, the 2nd year's average page count was 12 pages higher than the first year's. The 3rd year's page count was 16 pages lower than the 1st year's, a.k.a. 28 pages lower than the 2nd year's. Ulimtately, the 3rd year's average page count was 22 pages less than the previous 2 years' averaged count (358).

And now they've done their biggest issue ever -- 392 pages -- which is actually 56 pages longer than the third year's average, and is only 8 pages more than their previous largest issue (issue #16, 384 pages).

So, Winking Samurai, you say the latest issues have been "about half the size they used to be," but the facts say that the latest issues have been about 94% the size they used to be.

Good job of shooting off your mouth without thinking, dude.

Grebo

P.S. - To "show my work," here's a page count for EVERY ISSUE yet (except for issues #0, #00, and #36 - which I haven't received):
1 - 288
2 - 328
3 - 352
4 - 336
5 - 336
6 - 352
7 - 352
8 - 336
9 - 336
10 - 328
11 - 364
12 - 352
13 - 360
14 - 352
15 - 360
16 - 384
17 - 376
18 - 368
19 - 352
20 - 368
21 - 360
22 - 368
23 - 368
24 - 360
25 - 336
26 - 344
27 - 360
28 - 368 (looks like the issue where they changed paper)
29 - 312
30 - 336
31 - 320
32 - 328
33 - 320
34 - 360
35 - 320
36 - ??? (I don't have this issue yet)
37 - 392 (according to the report)[/quote]

Easy, killer! You act like my complaint was aimed at you! You're right, I don't look at number of pages, I look at thickness. I just liked the feel of having a big ol' book, as compared to the teeny things I've been gettting in the mail lately. Issue 33 was piddling compared to the good old days.

I don't care if they did change paper, I feel like I'm getting less for my money!

BTW: Those insults were hurtful. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who's less excited about next issue's size and more about what's coming with it?

Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon, people. Those morons at Konami should've freakin' released it back in 2002, when the franchise first started...I regard next issue as momentous because it contains what I consider a logical impossibility. Konami, actually releasing the BEUD in English. For a while there I thought some technical screw-up had inadvertently prevented them from realizing they had yet to release the coveted card (read: I thought somebody got drunk and checked it off on the "Big List Of Promos We've Released"). Even more insane, this is coming from the people who thought it would be a great idea to make Needle Worm and Devil Franken obscenely rare thousand-dollar uber-promos when any Japanese kid with a Soseki and change could get two Needle Worms and a Devil Franken in Structure Deck Kaiba V1. If I were a betting man, I would've said that if they did permit the card to be released in the U.S., it would've cost either an Ed Elric or an Izumi. But anyone with five dollars who's not afraid of strange black-and-white right-to-left-reading comics from Japan (a surprisingly small portion of the population, from what I gather) can score themselves their very own Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon, all thanks to some unknown benefactor who developed a hopefully incurable case of sanity.

...I'm getting me four copies of next issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3