• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Type-Moon fans. Can't get enough of 'em.
ipodi

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

This has got to be one of the worst previews for a season I have ever, ever read.

Love the fate/zero homers. BTW, she is doing a review, not a preview. And yes, personal feelings are something one uses when writing reviews.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

This has got to be one of the worst previews for a season I have ever, ever read.

Then it's a good thing these are reviews and not previews, isn't it?

acetatsujin wrote:
Bamboo Dong, what type of research do you use when you do a preview? It seems more based on your personal feelings rather than a general overview.

Uh...hello? In reviews, reviewers use their opinions to make their judgments. Bamboo watches episodes from all the streamed shows, puts down her thoughts on them, and then ranks them depending on her opinion of their worth. It's not meant to be a general overview - if you want a general overview, go read a synopsis, or I don't know - the season preview section with the list of every show coming out this season?

As for Kids vs. Fate/Zero - Kids on the Slope is a brand-new show that reunites a famous producer and a famous composer for the first time since they're major hit. Fate/Zero and its franchise have been around since...forever. In fact, she isn't even reviewing the beginning of Fate/Zero - she's reviewing eps 14-16, the middle of the show. When you have to write a column as long as this, with as many shows as there are, after watching all said shows, which are you going to focus on more - the brand-new show that hasn't developed its fanbase yet, or the well-known show that has a steady and loyal fanbase and doesn't exactly need anyone gushing over it to get people to watch it?

acetatsujin wrote:
You definitely didn't dive deep enough in the whole Fate Series and in fact didn't play the visual novel, either.

Why would she? This is a REVIEW column about STREAMING anime. Not about visual novels.

Next time you write a column-bashing post on a forum, you might want to make sure you actually know what the column you're reading is. No one's asking you to agree with what Bamboo writes (I doubt anyone ever agrees one hundred percent with every review), but she does an excellent job overall. [/i]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Type-Moon fans. Can't get enough of 'em.

Zac ask yourself this

Did Bamboo Dong read Le Morte d'Arthur and the Epic of Gilgamesh in their original language? Sure it's a pain to get fluent in Sumerian but trust me Fate/Zero takes on a whole new meaning after you appreciate the purity of the original writing of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Fate/Zero is a 10 out of 10 if you just watch the anime, but if you read the Visual novel, read all of the related materials in their original language, and take a world tour of the various places where these stories where written it becomes a 15 out of 10, and once we get the BR from Aniplex which comes with a Saber Dakimakura it will become a 20 out of 10.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
we get the BR from Aniplex which comes with a Sabre Dakimakura it will become a 20 out of 10.

This is one full priced BD set I'd be willing to pay for.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Two things I wanted to ask (despite knowing this is an old thread, and I might not get a response) Are the shows you showcase on this column only ones being simulcast, or do you generally watch any shows streaming in general? (ie. shows that haven't been officially released by an american company/subsidiary)

Secondly, If the first instance is any shows, are you planning to add Hyouka to your list? I don't know anyone else watching it atm, and would be interested in hearing another person's opinion on the series thus far.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:

Secondly, If the first instance is any shows, are you planning to add Hyouka to your list? I don't know anyone else watching it atm, and would be interested in hearing another person's opinion on the series thus far.

Hyouka isn't being streamed, but if you want opinions, well...

http://www.seaslugteam.com/category/hyouka/
http://randomc.net/category/hyouka/
http://www.lostinanime.com/search/label/Hyou-ka
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=110076
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
Two things I wanted to ask (despite knowing this is an old thread, and I might not get a response) Are the shows you showcase on this column only ones being simulcast, or do you generally watch any shows streaming in general? (ie. shows that haven't been officially released by an american company/subsidiary)

I think the word that you're dancing around for, "shows streaming in general," is 'fansubs'.

The Stream deals only with shows that are being legally simulcast. I believe that extensively reviewing series that are available only through dubiously legal means might pose some risk ANN's relationship with the industry and this season would be adding to Bamboo's already imposing burden. I don't know how she intends to handle any series that began legally streaming after the column started this season's rankings.

As Hyouka has not been legally streamed, it won't be covered on The Stream. If you want to read some alternative opinions on Hyouka, all that ANN can offer for now is the official forum thread and Key's brief, unofficial thoughts on it in the preview thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11