• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black God/Kurokami Manga to End in 3 More Chapters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
I've seen the anime series for this awhile ago and thought was alright. I might check out this manga in a few months (:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
As far as I know the scanlations have stopped around chapter 90.

More importantly, what's with all these manga ending?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Does ANN always lump manwha and manga together?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It's a comic written by Koreans, published in a Japanese magazine.....so, whats your point?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
My point is that it's a manwha, or a Korean comic. So it seems odd to be referring to it as a manga, or a Japanese comic. Of course, if manga is just a catch-all term for comics then it's fine. That's something I've never known to be honest. I know that anime is just short for animation, but are Marvel and DC Comics referred to as manga over there for instance?

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu May 17, 2012 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My point is that it's a manwha, or a Korean comic. So it seems odd to be referring to it as a manga, or a Japanese comic.

Liancourt Rocks....Dokdo.......Takeshima......does it really matter?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Do countries of origin matter? I would think so. Then again, Queen is apparently an American band from one of the recent columns so possibly not. I'd think there's still a bit of nationalism in the world though and in my opinion it's better to have correct information than not.
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Kurokami is classed as a manga, because it's published in a Japanese magazine
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
My favorite action manga/manwha (whatever Rolling Eyes ) and I'm sad to see it's ending soon.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My point is that it's a manwha, or a Korean comic. So it seems odd to be referring to it as a manga, or a Japanese comic. Of course, if manga is just a catch-all term for comics then it's fine. That's something I've never known to be honest. I know that anime is just short for animation, but are Marvel and DC Comics referred to as manga over there for instance?

No, technically it is a manga. It published in Japan, and it reads right to left. There are Americans living in Japan, working on projects and they are considered manga. And, there are Japanese living in America working on projects, and they're considered American comics....
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It's a comic printed in Japanese and aimed at a Japanese audience, so yeah I'd count it as manga. Likewise if a Japanese artist were to put out a comic comic solely in the west and not in Japan, I wouldn't count it as manga. (like when Tsutomu Nihei or Kia Asamiya make US comics)

...although none of that's actually to do with the news story, so it's all a bit off topic.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
It's funny that this news comes up because I'm finally finishing up 14 and heading on to 16. I had been wondering when the series would finally end. I figured it was getting close.

Manga manwha...to me I consider this title a manwha regardless of who it was created for. I'm already familiar with it's creation that it was marketed to a Japanese audience. But it was still published in Korea as well. We just had an issue at our library here concerning this title and where to file it. We're an academic (private institution) library for the arts. We don't catalog comics and graphic novels the same way public libraries do, as we don't cater to the public. However we do allow ILLs (inter-library loans). All graphic novels in our collection are cataloged with LC (Library of Congress) call numbers and are placed on the shelf by location. Whatever LC call numbers are given are based solely by country. All manga (or manga related) in our collection are filed with location cutters "J" for Japan, "C" for China and "K" for Korea, etc... While Black God gets the manga treatment here, it's not filed under "J" with the the manga but with the rest of the books from Korea regardless of how it's marketed. Shin Angyo Onshi (I'm SO PISSED this was never released here) would be another example of another Korean title marketed as manga in Japan.

This is really a technical thing for libraries. I just had a discussion with my supervisor concerning moving items that were cataloged as manga into their correct location. Which includes all titles that are marketed as manga but really aren't. For example, Maximum Ride is marketed as manga, but it is not manga in the traditional sense. Neither is 'I Luv Halloween', 'Off Beats', or 'My Dead Girlfriend'. However we can make a call to keep all manga/manga related together to make them accessible. Peepo Choo follows the same rule but it was marked where it belonged despite being marketed and published in Japan. For us the location cutter doesn't mean manga it just means the book's origin. But I could see why anyone would just except this as manga without a thought. Unless it's specifically marketed as such then there's no distinction. All the mainstream stuff gets marketed as manga and the more independent stuff seems exclusive to it's origin. I know CPM did publish a couple of manwha titles and calling it as they saw it. But it didn't seem to catch on. As there's wasn't enough of it. Look at all those titles that Tokyopop put out. I don't recall them marketing them as manwha, they may have. It seemed like a new thing. For me as a librarian I wanted to find manwha titles for our collection. Unfortunately there weren't that many circulating not to mention good ones either.

I guess the whole idea becomes too vague when manga is used because it's a trend. But it is an interesting discussion as to what constitutes as what based on how, what, when or where it is marketed. Is it this or is it that? Same as anime. Would love to see a full thesis on that. Wink

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
I was wondering when the title was going to end. In volume 15, there's an omake with one of the artists stating that they're approaching the climax of the title.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
It just had to end at Volume 19, didn't it? My OCD is going to go into overdrive once Yen publishes the last volume. It's an uneven prime number. Eeeeeek. Mad 20 volumes would look so much better. Even 18 would look nicer.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

"Manga" literally means "funny pictures" (oddly coincidental to "comics" coming from a Greek root for "humour") , but I don't think it's used for American comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2