• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crispin Freeman

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This is a long article. I skimmed it for now cause I don't have unlimited time and it is pretty cool. I hope he comes back as Alucard in the new Hellsing OVA. After seeing Wolf's Rain and seeing Kiba's personality I just can't imagine Crispin playing Kiba. Smile
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A friend of mine just came back, she was studying to be an animator, and she was studying in a school in France, and she went to the big animation festival there and she said: "You have to go to this festival. I've never been in a place where animation is so respected as at this festival, and everyone comes and totally respects it as cinema. It's not just something for kids, it's not just something to sell toys." And that's the problem in this country, and I want to work to change that.

The thing with Annecy, though (that's the festival I assume he's talking about), is that it exhibits animation from all around the world, not just from France. Many of the pieces shown there are from America. I think it's just a little unfair to say "That's the problem with this country [United States]..." when there is actually a thriving independent animation scene, which the Annecy Animation Festival is just one outlet for. There are plenty of animators here working to produce animation that is art, not just commercial.

Other than that, I enjoyed the interview. I have to admit I'm not very familiar with his work (I'm a sub person) but I recognize the name as someone who is well respected as American voice talent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Drewpy83

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
They better get him and the rest of the cast back to do Hellsing. There is nothing more that I hate, when another season of a show comes out and the actors are different. Even when one actor changes, the shows doesn't feel right. Please Geneon, put smile back on my face.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman, one of my favorites. The interview was a pleasure to read. I'd like to see more of these kind of interviews (with actors from LA).

Seeing actors/actresses work as both director and actor is fantastic. I'd like to see more people to have such inspiration and motivation like that from Crispin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bebop26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. I agree with what Crispin Freeman is saying about animation in America. There are alot of animated shows here that people still think if its animated, its a cartoon, and therefore its for kids. This isn't true, and I'm interested in seeing any of Freeman's future productions. Very Happy

Voicing Kiba? I think even though he is a cool voice actor, I think he played Tsume good, and the emotion in the last episode just wanted to make me cry and how much Tsume's character has developed. Good interview, and keep more American Anime Voice Actors/ADR Directors coming.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman's been one of my favorite voice actors ever since I started watching Witch Hunter Robin back in those clueless days. I was watching some random episode of Geneshaft, and the same voice kept on popping up in other shows. So how could I forget the name of the voice actor? Well anyway, some parts of the interview were really funny, and its really too bad that he didn't get Kiba's role. But I think Tsume's voice is top notch, so I guess it all worked out in the end. Now I think I need to buy the last disk of Wolf's Rain.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I got to sit there yelling "For Gondor!", "Ithilien!", you know, and you've just gotta love that stuff, it's awesome.

Good to know Crispin takes his work seriously. Laughing

I actually did not know he had a voice other than the deep alto, make-girls-swoon kinda voice as heard in SutePuri, GitS, Scryed, Bobobo.... Razz
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome interview, Mikhail! Very Happy

I remember reading in Anime Insider (Issue #14 form June/July 2004) that at the times when he was struggling getting into his role as Tsume, Crispin had to imagine himself as "Clint Eastwood in wolf's clothing". I thought he did a great job as Tsume, Amon, and Alan Gabriel (from the second season of The Big O - by far my favorite role of his), and so far his performance in Scrapped Princess is very enjoyable. It's very nice to read that he does take his work seriously and at the same time enjoy what he does for a living.

Hopefully someday, I will be able to meet Crispin in a future convention; he's on my short list of VAs that I would love to meet.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah it wouldn't be right if there were different voices. Besides his voice fit well with the Alucard character it was almost unreal. But is it a new season of hellsing or is it a remake of the one hellsing season? Because I remember hearing this from somewhere (don't know if it's from this site or from a friend or some other source) that the new show is going to be a complete remake of the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Talamatross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Thats odd I saw him meet Ryo Horikawa the seiyuu. However, he doesn't mention him in the interview. Sad
Also I was dissapointed that he didn't mention his role in Xenosaga or Irresponsible Captain Tylor, two of my favorite voices of his.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever heard Crispin Freeman yet. I don't think it matters, he's an LA VA, I want to be a Texas VA.....so more power to him!....or something
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:40 am Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard Crispin Freeman yet. I don't think it matters, he's an LA VA, I want to be a Texas VA.....so more power to him!....or something
It doesn't matter where he works, or who he works for Grant. Nobody knows a journeys' path better than those who have been on it before you. Study this interview well and you will find out just what you have to do to get to be a VA in Texas, or anywhere. Wink
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:
It doesn't matter where he works, or who he works for Grant. Nobody knows a journeys' path better than those who have been on it before you. Study this interview well and you will find out just what you have to do to get to be a VA in Texas, or anywhere. Wink

I don't have to read it, once you've read one VA interview, you've read them all. It's always the same thing, what got them interested, how they started, etc.

And as far as I'm concerned I just want to concentrate on being a VA for ADV and Funimation, not the entire animation community in LA because I don't think I could cut it in LA. It's one thing to be a good VA, but when it comes to wanting to be a VA in LA you need to be beyond good
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:

I don't have to read it, once you've read one VA interview, you've read them all. It's always the same thing, what got them interested, how they started, etc.

And as far as I'm concerned I just want to concentrate on being a VA for ADV and Funimation, not the entire animation community in LA because I don't think I could cut it in LA. It's one thing to be a good VA, but when it comes to wanting to be a VA in LA you need to be beyond good
Grant you have missed the point again. Record this in your memory well. Make a sign and stick it on your wall.
You need to be beyond good no matter where you work as a VA
If voice acting is the passion you keep saying you have, than that is your ultimate goal. Fail that and you might as well stack shelves for Morrison's (a supermarket)
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:

Grant you have missed the point again. Record this in your memory well. Make a sign and stick it on your wall.
You need to be beyond good no matter where you work as a VA
If voice acting is the passion you keep saying you have, than that is your ultimate goal. Fail that and you might as well stack shelves for Morrison's (a supermarket)

I didn't think I missed the point
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4