• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Okami Pinkos

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah now that I look back, I'm thinking of re-watching Ookami-san again although that narrator in the series..Evil or Very Mad

Anyways, nice mouse pad LOL and those Clannad and Love Hina manga. Dat nostologia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Erin, if you aren't going to use the Macron, at least double your Os.

"Okami" and "Ookami" are very, very, very much not the same word.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the gag title of this Shelf Life has to be my favorite yet. Laughing

I loved the hell outta that Princess Jellyfish dub, Maxey Whitehead and Josh Grelle really brought their A-game.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It isn't spelled that way on the official box art, by the Japanese company that released the show or in the show's copyright notice. We use the official titles here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
TLR, Rosario+Vampire, and SnO girls. Impeccable taste, but you're missing some Asobi ni Ikuyo figs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I spy a booby mousepad. X3
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It isn't spelled that way on the official box art, by the Japanese company that released the show or in the show's copyright notice. We use the official titles here.

The official box art quite clearly uses a Macron, which means you either need to use a Macron or double the O's, whichever is easier.

I really hate this idea that its perfectly fine to conflate completely different Japanese words, especially with names.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

To a reach a middle ground, okami without the long o means landlady as opposed to wolf. Ōkami, as we often see with romanization of Japanese, is probably the best way to approach that word.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Strange that the copyright notice wouldn't have the macron or double o.

Last edited by superdry on Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Zac wrote:

To a reach a middle ground, okami without the long o means landlady as opposed to wolf. Ōkami, as we often see with romanization of Japanese, is probably the best way to approach that word.

Right. "Okami-san" sounds like an alternate title for Hanasaku Iroha.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

The official box art quite clearly uses a Macron, which means you either need to use a Macron or double the O's, whichever is easier.

I really hate this idea that its perfectly fine to conflate completely different Japanese words, especially with names.

I don't actually "need" to do anything at all.

But I agree about the macron so there's a line above the O now. Feel free to celebrate.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't actually "need" to do anything at all.

But I agree about the macron so there's a line above the O now. Feel free to celebrate.

Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction? I don't call people on it in forum posts or casual conversation, but I don't see what is wrong with pointing out that it was incorrect.

Those macrons and doubled/long vowels in Japanese words aren't there just for decoration, they actually mean things.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction?

Now you're just being a drama queen. I fixed it and then I made a joke about it. Christ.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction?

It probably comes with the territory of being a long time anime fan. Anime fans continually argue about pronunciations, spellings, and translations (like Light's name in Death Note). I'm sure Zac's read a ton of conversations like that in the last decade, some more polite than others.

Plus there aren't there at least two, maybe even three romanization systems for spelling Japanese words? I'm not a linguist, so I should probably not comment further.

Also, I think "actually" has become a trigger word as of late for the way geeks/nerds obnoxiously correct others. Countless obnoxious internet conversations begin with, "Actually... [insert correction here]."
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Now you're just being a drama queen. I fixed it and then I made a joke about it. Christ.

Generally, the thing to do when you realize you have made a mistake is to appologize, not make a sarcastic comeback. Since you clearly stated:
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

But is IS spelled that way on the official box art, by the Japanese company that released the show, saying something like, "Oops, sorry. You were right, it is like that on the box. I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out." would be much more appropriate than your snarky comeback.

I hate to belabbor the point, but you frequently complain about the rude behavior of posters on the board to each other and your fellow editors, but the tone set from the top frequently starts the ball rolling. I like a sarcatic comment as well as the next guy when it is warrented, but it seems to have been over the line here.

At least in my opinion...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6