• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Men of Inaction

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
About toonami and all the negativity THANK YOU!

About time someone tells the other fans to stop *****ing!

Seriously I am so happy for someone standing up to them.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
meh, i guess i should develop an "escape from new york" pachinko concept first.
but zac, what's wrong? that movie is awesome! kurt russel with badass long hair and an eyepatch. jesus christ!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
No one really wants to reveal their guilty pleasure. I know I don't. Too embarassing. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
_V_

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
@Justin - thank you for finally rewatching Eva start to finish. The first and last episodes don't really do it justice (its one of those series where the cast builds over time; we don't even meet Asuka until a third of the way into it).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMrvyobEhg&featuret#t=7m30s

"Truth be told, he tends to just rewatch the final episode of Eva over and over again..."
"what difference does that make?!"
"The series he *chooses* to remember, never actually existed!!"
"For God's sake, why doesn't someone just make him rewatch the whole series start to finish?"
"Do you think we haven't tried?! He skips any episode that doesn't have a fight in it! After all these years, there are still some episodes he's never seen, more than *once*!"

(I wrote this video but I'm fighting to get it unblocked by constantin film, being a hitler parody video and all; thankfully, someone else uploaded an alternate version that includes the option of spanish subtitles).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
sounds like you guys are going to have a fun. Here is an offical kick off for summer 2012 and celebration the year is half over.

tuxedocat wrote:
No one really wants to reveal their guilty pleasure. I know I don't. Too embarassing. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Oh what the hell I might as well reveal mine, it is kiss x sis ova series "not tv". Yeah it's wrong, creepy, raunchy but I still love it.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Foster did the le Chevalier d'Eon dub right? I remember that being really good. Fluke I guess?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Really miss the call out shows because those tend to be real entertaining and it gives the chance to give people a voice who might not get one even over something like twitter.

My Guilty pleasure is Gundam Seed Destiny, just a show that I can rewatch a lot of episodes
_V_

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Recent press releases indicating that The Anime Network just penned a BIG new Video On Demand distribution deal: animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-05-23/anime-network-selects-in-demand-to-handle-vod-transport

...seems to lend strong credence to the theory that they were intentionally buying up every license out there, possibly even at a loss, so that they could strengthen Anime Network's viability for making new online distribution deals.

I don't know if this will let them break even, but at least it seems to give some sort of internal logic to the decision.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok I'll stick up for Sentai. Smile

I think Sentai dubs are improving.

Mardock Scramble (directed by Steven Foster) is probably one of the best dubs I've watched of his. I look forward to the dubs of films 2 and 3 in the future.

Golgo 13 is very enjoyable too.

The World God Only Knows (also directed by Foster) is a recent title I thought the dub was good. I enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would.

Seems like he's moved on from his "Guin Saga days" so I have high hopes for Towa no Quon and Season 2 of TWGOK. *fingers crossed*

It's also worth noting that Chris Ayres is directing a lot more dubs for Sentai so "Steven Foster directs everything" is no longer a fact.

ef: a tale of memories and melodies (directed by Ayres) were well done.

Ayres also directed The Book of Bantorra and Night Raid 1931; IMO are some of Sentai's (ADV's) best dubs to date that I've heard.

I like how Chris Ayres not only brings out the best performances out of the veteran voice actors & challenges them, he also actually casts some new people as well.

I have yet to watch it myself but I also hear Gintama: The Movie dub (directed by Kyle Jones) is great.

Jones directed a lot of stuff for ADV so maybe he'll be working more often for Sentai in the future as the company continues to dub more and more titles.

As for the numerous titles Sentai is picking up, they do have some stuff I'm interested in buying.

I don't think Sentai would license that much stuff unless they could manage.

At cons Sentai said they also pass on a lot of shows too and it's strongly believed by many fans that Sentai is much better at negotiating with Japanese licensors than Funimation is.

I wouldn't be surprised is this was true and Sentai was getting all these licenses for good prices.

I'd also find it amusing if Sentai was able to release Kadokawa titles on Blu-ray while Funimation is SOL.

Last edited by jacksonh on Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Foster did the le Chevalier d'Eon dub right? I remember that being really good. Fluke I guess?

Again, and I think we said this in the show - if we didn't then I need to clarify - it isn't that he's *never* made a good dub, it's just that he's now directing nearly all of their dubs and our collected experience with them is generally negative right now.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Oh what the hell I might as well reveal mine....

I think you have more guts than I do. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Sheni742 wrote:

Maybe he was afraid of pissing-off the French. Twisted Evil

You're right. It was very good. I think you are also right that it was a fluke. I don't like most of his stuff. IIRC, I think he had a lot of help and historical consultants on the Le Chevalier D'Eon scripts.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Again, and I think we said this in the show - if we didn't then I need to clarify - it isn't that he's *never* made a good dub, it's just that he's now directing nearly all of their dubs and our collected experience with them is generally negative right now.

Oh I understand, it's just that I've heard some rather negative comments about stuff about dubs he's done even before Chevalier, like Generator Gawl and Orphen, involving the change of the entire direction or meaning of scenes, or even rewriting dialogue entirely, and usually not for the better.

I'm just wondering if this behaviour from him isn't actually as new as everyone thinks
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Oh I understand, it's just that I've heard some rather negative comments about stuff about dubs he's done even before Chevalier, like Generator Gawl and Orphen, involving the change of the entire direction or meaning of scenes, or even rewriting dialogue entirely, and usually not for the better.

I'm just wondering if this behaviour from him isn't actually as new as everyone thinks

Anime Jump had an article about this in 2001, if I remember right he started off bad, got better over time, and now has seemed to regress back to what he did in the early 2000's. Basically Steve Foster thinks his a lot funnier than he actually is.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It's good to know someone else really likes the Royal Tenenbaums, for some reason nobody I know likes that movie.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Anime Jump had an article about this in 2001, if I remember right he started off bad, got better over time, and now has seemed to regress back to what he did in the early 2000's. Basically Steve Foster thinks his a lot funnier than he actually is.

so basically he is like Dane cook?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6