• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guyver

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Are 'Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor' and 'Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor 2' both under the title 'Guyver (OAV)'?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:15 pm Reply with quote
phoenix wrote:
Are 'Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor' and 'Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor 2' both under the title 'Guyver (OAV)'?

It seems that both OAVs are listed as one in the encyclopedia. At least that's how Manga Video's marketing them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it can be very difficult to catalogue OAVs. OAVs are released individually in Japan, and sometimes there is a strong link between episodes but sometimes there isn't. Should [anime x] be considered one series or separate OAVs? This is really a question that must be answered on a case-by-case level. In the case of Guyver, it seems to be marketed as one series, and animechecklist.net also lists it as one series, and so does animenfo.com. Beyond that I don't know anything about the series, which makes a judgement call rather difficult.

I recently ran into the same kind of trouble with Megazone 23. The first episode was released in 1985. The second episode (apparently a direct continuation of the first), titled "Part 2", was released one year later. But "Part 3" was composed of two episodes released separately in 1989, a story taking place centuries in the future with different characters. So in a sense eps 1 and 2 could be grouped under one title, but can episodes 3a and 3b be placed under that same title? And if "Part 3" is a different series, then it wouldn't make much sense to be missing "Part 2" as a separate title also, right?

*sigh*
The world of anime is full of weird release schemes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1