• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Confirms Blu-Ray Disc Release for Bakemonogatari TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scineram

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
No one will fork over the money needed to animate stuff in that resolution.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
We're still several years away from that being a broadcast spec - there's plenty of time for people to figure out how to do it economically(not to mention I have a feeling a lot of the cost will only be one-time upgrades).
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to get this when it goes on preorder. In my opinion, it being Blu Ray only is a lot better than it being DVD only. I suppose it is unfortunate for people who only have DVD players though. I still keep hoping they'll do another KnK Blu Ray release since I missed out on the first one.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Thank god I haven't heard of this series, because this seems to be a shit release. No DVD, no English dub, and probably at an insane price. Aniplex USA is such a terrible company, it's not even funny. There is absolutely no excuse not to release a single title on Blu-Ray and NOT on DVD, at least right now, and probably not for a long time. This is not Japan. It's especially screwy for those of us who don't have Blu-Ray players (and don't plan on getting one any time soon).

Somebody recently cited a Funimation survey that indicated 70 per cent of anime buyers have BD players versus 30 per cent for the general population. I think the day is coming very quickly when it simply won't be profitable for R1 distribs to provide DVDs, just like nobody provides VHS tapes any more. I can't wait for that day because this "waaah, waaah, no DVD ... why can't my preference for ancient technology be satisfied?" stuff is boring.

On the other hand, while multi-region DVD players are widely available, there are no officially multi-region Blu-ray players, as someone who resides in the u.k. (where there are very few anime Blu-ray releases), now, I plan to buy a region A player so I can import a wider range of u.s. releases (I am aware that quite a few u.s. anime BDs are region A+B/all region, and I own some of these releases), but I'm not reflective of the u.k. anime buying market as a whole, at least looking at how poorly most attempts at releasing anime series on Blu-ray in the u.k. have gone, at least for series that are more than 1 cour long, every attempt to release a series with two or more parts has been cancelled partway through and left incomplete due to low sales. Unless that's because everyone has just been importing all their anime on Blu-ray from the u.s., of course.
Nico87

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Awesome news. Can't wait for the BD release of Bakemonogatari and a chance to own a physical copy of Kara no Kyōkai. Haven't even downloaded it (as I never actually do with anime anyway, but I was close) in the hope that it would get a re-release. Shame it's DVD-only though. These and Bunny Drop will make my fall.

Loved the Rurouni Kenshin and Madoka releases, so I'm hoping that Bakemonogatari will get the same treatment as Madoka did, only that they release it in one box or three with shorter time between each release. Still can't watch my Madoka before the last volume releases in June Sad
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Hope they dub this english voices would so work on this

No American voice actor or actress could ever do this series justice. They'd never live up to the sheer awesomeness of the original seiyuu.

On another note, being European, I hope this will be an all-region release, or at least a region A+B release.

F*ck, you weeaboos breed worse than rabbits. What is it that compels you to deify a culture you don't know jack about?

Most Seiyuu suck at voice acting, btw.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Your post isn't any better.

On that actual topic, English and Japanese dubs rarely match up that closely(eg, the sort of voices characters have can change dramatically) - and if what I've heard about this show needing a major rewrite for ADR is true, they wouldn't be too comparable by the time they started casting anyway.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Somebody recently cited a Funimation survey that indicated 70 per cent of anime buyers have BD players versus 30 per cent for the general population. I think the day is coming very quickly when it simply won't be profitable for R1 distribs to provide DVDs, just like nobody provides VHS tapes any more. I can't wait for that day because this "waaah, waaah, no DVD ... why can't my preference for ancient technology be satisfied?" stuff is boring.

And yet I believe Funimation representatives on a recent ANNcast also said that same survey indicated actual BD vs. DVD anime purchasing decisions weren't at 70 vs. 30 per cent, but closer to half and half or something along those lines, maybe even leaning in the other direction. I don't really remember the exact numbers, just that they were different. Not everyone with a BD player exclusively buys BDs instead of DVDs. This will change, sooner or later, but the situation is still far from making DVDs unprofitable right now.

At the same time, I don't think this is necessarily happening too quickly, when it seems certain Japanese companies like Kadokawa have developed increased fears of reverse importation that lead them to restricting and/or delaying some of their foreign BD releases, especially because Japan and the U.S. share the same BD region, while they're comparatively relaxed about releasing the DVDs. Not everyone is going for the current Aniplex model of "let's make a limited printing of our products on BD and sell them at premium price points to earn a profit when the boxes sell out" at this time.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Blood- wrote:

And yet I believe Funimation representatives on a recent ANNcast also said that same survey indicated actual BD vs. DVD anime purchasing decisions weren't at 70 vs. 30 per cent, but closer to half and half or something along those lines, maybe even leaning in the other direction. I don't really remember the exact numbers, just that they were different. Not everyone with a BD player exclusively buys BDs instead of DVDs. This will change, sooner or later, but the situation is still far from making DVDs unprofitable right now.

At the same time, I don't think this is necessarily happening too quickly, when it seems certain Japanese companies like Kadokawa have developed increased fears of reverse importation that lead them to restricting and/or delaying some of their foreign BD releases, especially because Japan and the U.S. share the same BD region, while they're comparatively relaxed about releasing the DVDs. Not everyone is going for the current Aniplex model of "let's make a limited printing of our products on BD and sell them at premium price points to earn a profit when the boxes sell out" at this time.

They're okay with releasing DVDs since at this point, the hardcore anime fanbase in Japan just doesn't buy DVDs. For something like Nise, which was a major hit in Winter, less than 10% of the total sales were DVDs... so allowing the DVDs to be sold in foreign countries doesn't really hurt them in any significant way. I guess Japan is just more technologically advanced at this point since their more geeky population has moved past DVDs.
dandudeamiga

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't bother me if it's going to be Blu-ray only--what matters to me is English dub!!!

Aniplex, add the English dub and I'll buy it in a heartbeat!!! I'm dead serious!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
dandudeamiga wrote:
Doesn't bother me if it's going to be Blu-ray only--what matters to me is English dub!!!

Aniplex, add the English dub and I'll buy it in a heartbeat!!! I'm dead serious!

Be careful, there are many weea--I mean, japanophiles--who'll have your head for mentioning the "D-word".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I get that some people feel more comfortable buying DVD's instead of BD's for various reasons. But for me BD should become the standard because of the advent of High Definition and HDTV's.

I don't buy reverse importation as a serious problem because I seriously doubt that the might and proud Japanese Otaku would want to buy a bare bones U.S. BD anime release.

Chagen46 wrote:
dandudeamiga wrote:

Be careful, there are many weea--I mean, japanophiles--who'll have your head for mentioning the "D-word".

I don't understand the hate toward those of us who think that an English dub for Bakemonogatari is not necessary and would be hard to pull off. I enjoy English dubbing immensely, but I really don't think one would work for this series.

Besides, an English dub will only jack up the price.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't buy reverse importation as a serious problem because I seriously doubt that the might and proud Japanese Otaku would want to buy a bare bones U.S. BD anime release.

I don't think that's a huge problem either, in practice, but according to what we have been told numerous times, it's a factor that really matters in terms of how a certain number of conservative Japanese executives look at the situation. Their fears might be exaggerated, but they exist.

RyanSaotome wrote:
They're okay with releasing DVDs since at this point, the hardcore anime fanbase in Japan just doesn't buy DVDs. For something like Nise, which was a major hit in Winter, less than 10% of the total sales were DVDs... so allowing the DVDs to be sold in foreign countries doesn't really hurt them in any significant way. I guess Japan is just more technologically advanced at this point that their more geeky population has moved past DVDs.

You're right, but that's precisely the issue: some companies aren't in any hurry to release BDs in the U.S. because they fear this will supposedly hurt their local Japanese profits, as a result of the real or perceived danger of reverse importation, so it makes plenty of sense to keep releasing the DVDs internationally instead. Not everyone thinks like that, but even if the BD format suddenly became truly dominant in the United States and DVDs died out, I'd imagine this will only lead to more and more delayed anime releases for at least a few years.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
They're okay with releasing DVDs since at this point, the hardcore anime fanbase in Japan just doesn't buy DVDs. For something like Nise, which was a major hit in Winter, less than 10% of the total sales were DVDs... so allowing the DVDs to be sold in foreign countries doesn't really hurt them in any significant way. I guess Japan is just more technologically advanced at this point that their more geeky population has moved past DVDs.

You're right, but that's precisely the issue: some companies aren't in any hurry to release BDs in the U.S. because they fear this will supposedly hurt their local Japanese profits, as a result of the real or perceived danger of reverse importation, so it makes plenty of sense to keep releasing the DVDs internationally instead. Not everyone thinks like that, but even if the BD format suddenly became truly dominant in the United States and DVDs died out, I'd imagine this will only lead to more and more delayed anime releases for at least a few years.

Yes, plus the possibility of dub only releases (didn't they do that with Kurokami?) I'm not bashing dubs, but I prefer to watch the original version (so it's not about watching it in Japanese only, I watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in English because that is the original version, I wouldn't want to watch The Simpsons dubbed into Japanese, or German or French for that matter), and as I said before, it's more tricky/costly to play u.s. BD releases if you live in the u.k./europe/australia than it is with DVDs. On that note, I'm aware that australia is region B for Blu-ray, but importing from there is rather expensive, even more so when we're talking BDs instead of DVDs, and they don't have anywhere near as big a selection of releases as the u.s..
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

some companies aren't in any hurry to release BDs in the U.S. because they fear this will supposedly hurt their local Japanese profits, as a result of the real or perceived danger of reverse importation, so it makes plenty of sense to keep releasing the DVDs internationally instead.

If Japanese executives are so worried that reverse importation might hurt their bottom line, why don't Japanese anime companies charge more for licenses. It would lead to a rise (hopefully not that great of an increase) of prices in anime sold in the U.S. though.

This might or not might help, but it might ease the tension of those Japanese conservative executives who have the perception that reverse importation is screwing them. More expensive licenses could give a perception of being getting more money from the U.S market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8