• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 Anime Compiled Into 90-Minute Film with New Cuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Persona 4 is quickly becoming one of the most over-milked JRPGs of the past 10 years. I loved the original game (and still do), but once they started doing fighting game spinoffs, revised editions, TV anime, and now an anime movie based on the TV anime, well, I pretty much have no incentive to pimp Persona 4 to other people anymore.

Just get on with Persona 5. Let's meet some new characters already.

pretty sure atlus already confirmed awhile back P5 is in production with the same staff as usual.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Oy, this just sounds terrible. Let's take the true end, which we didn't have enough time for in the 10-hour anime, and stick it on a 90-minute summary movie. The only real interest I have in this is morbid curiosity.

opn wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

pretty sure atlus already confirmed awhile back P5 is in production with the same staff as usual.

Yeah, it was first confirmed back in 2009 or 2010... But as of mid/late 2011, the last comment from the director was that we "still need to wait for some time" before its release. I'm thinking 2013 is the earliest we'd likely see it.

superdry wrote:
Persona 5 would be nice, but I'd rather see SMT 5 on one of the home consoles.

But what about SMT4? Wink
superdry

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

superdry wrote:

SMT4 never existed! Atlus will just skip over 4. haha.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

SMT 4 is Strange Journey for the DS, FYI.

As for this, meh.

The movie idea seems interesting.

I can't get behind tacking an anime episode on to the end of it though. Depends on how different it is and how much the movie covers.

I'll wait and see.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Etrien wrote:

Atlus JP wanted to call it four during production, but decided not to at the end (I think Kaneko was quoted on that back when the game was announced or near release). Technically, it's the 5th installment in the main series though.
tetron

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This is how I imagine the recap is gonna be

for the first 60 minutes, they will be all sitting together at Junes discussing about the past 8 months of their whole adventure from Yu coming here to final sub-boss.

And then for the next 30 min, we see Yu leaving the next day and True Ending part starts~

I'm gonna say its 90% accurate that this will happen

10% should go die in a fire >Sad
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Etrien wrote:

Atlus JP wanted to call it four during production, but decided not to at the end (I think Kaneko was quoted on that back when the game was announced or near release). Technically, it's the 5th installment in the main series though.

Huh. Actually, I didn't know that. Wiki says they changed it to a non-numbered title to be less confusing overseas. Learn something new every day.
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Persona 4 is quickly becoming one of the most over-milked JRPGs of the past 10 years. I loved the original game (and still do), but once they started doing fighting game spinoffs, revised editions, TV anime, and now an anime movie based on the TV anime, well, I pretty much have no incentive to pimp Persona 4 to other people anymore.

There's was also a Persona 4 stage play this year.

i would kill to see persona 5 but i doubt we are going to see until the ps4 xbox 720 and wii u and who knows when that will happen cause i doubt both the ps4 and 720 will be revealed at E3 next week
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
My sentiments are with those who want Persona 5 already. The milking of Persona 4 is just ridiculous. At least Persona 3 isn't milked AS badly yet. Updating the games is one thing (P3: FES, P3P, P4 for Vita), but trying to cram so much of the rushed to hell P4 TV series into a 90-minute film is another. It really does sound like a cash-in attempt just so people can see True End early. -_-

But that poster IS pretty sweet.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
just so people can see True End early.

I think you hit the nail on the head, along with the person who compared this to Eva's Death & Rebirth.

You can't watch True End without knowing what came before. Just like you can't watch Rebirth without knowing what happened in the series. The purpose of the recap isn't to be a movie, it's to give just enough of an overview so that you can watch the second half even if you hadn't seen what lead up to it.

The "movie" isn't stand-alone, but that doesn't mean that they don't want to lure in people who haven't seen the series or played the games.
BAYANI98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
They already made a Persona 5. It was called Trinity Soul.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
i made a thread about this in the anime section but incase anyone missed it a persona 3 movie was announced at the end of this http://sgcafe.com/2012/06/persona-3-theatrical-release-announced-after-the-credits-in-persona-4-movie/
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I was just checking my local theater listings this morning and saw the Persona 4 film listed as now showing. I totally forgot it was due this early. Guess that shows how excited I am for it. Rolling Eyes

Sadly, same deal for P3. It'll be neat seeing it animated, sure, but I really can't expect much out of a film version. It deserved a TV series, probably more than P4 did imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2