• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dororo [Omnibus] GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucalb

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Why does Vertical make such terrible covers?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
If you don't like the manga, get the used PS2 game known as Blood Will Tell.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:

Probably because they feel that a more "serious" or blander cover would appeal more to the casuals and older readers. I suppose having a more "colorful" or "cute" cover would just turn off potential readers. I view it more as their way of trying to make a name for Tezuka in the west again, by presenting him more as a more serious manga-ka. May as well considering that Vertical only ever licenses his more serious works (Princess Knight was a pleasant surprise to me). I can't say that I like it either, Viz's Phoenix covers are ten times more interesting because they use actual cover artwork that Tezuka made, whereas Vertical instead takes images from the pages themselves and edits them to make the cover art. It's very disappointing when they do that.

On topic, I purchased the omnibus awhile ago, and was quite surprised to find how thick it was, but I suppose that's a given when there were three standalone volumes. The omnibus was worth it though as the other volumes are slowly going out of print.

And besides, I don't like paying too much money. Purchasing standalone volumes can quickly add up. I much prefer purchasing boxsets or omnibuses. So yes, definitely worth the money.
xScar

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:

While Dororo definitely might be the weakest cover Vertical has had for a Tezuka title, I definitely don't think any of the covers are terrible.

Ayako and Apollo's Song both had beautiful covers. Even the multi-colored Black Jack was nice, especially the spines. Having more abstract covers definitely pulls consumers in. I know I probably would've never picked up Black Jack (and thus start my love for Tezuka) otherwise.

And hey, at least you are getting some Tezuka art. You could get something like what Viz did with their version of Adolf. Vertical's cover for that is quite nice too :3
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Viz's release of Adolf was different. That was back in the days when manga was a new thing to the west, and their release of Adolf was the first Tezuka manga licensed for western release meaning that Tezuka was pretty much unheard of to the general public (and still is...), and considering its serious tones, they kind of had to go with new art for the covers. That was back then though, and times have changed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
I like the Viz covers for Adolf. Hitler making goofy faces sort of defeats the seriousness of the material.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I like the Viz covers for Adolf. Hitler making goofy faces sort of defeats the seriousness of the material.

He makes goofy faces and overly dramatic actions in the manga pages as well. But I guess I can see what you mean.

However, Tezuka did draw more serious covers for Adolf.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:

Read A review, start a thread to post about it, nitpick about the cover.

Oh Internetz, u so zany. Laughing

But yeah I got Vertical's release of Princess Knight not to long ago, really enjoyed it, man I really needa catch up on my Tezuka, need to get this omnibus & the Vertical's release of Black Jack.

But yeah probably a stupid question, but wonder if Vertical would consider publishing the Kimba & Unico mangas stateside? Or would those be too kiddy?
Butterflea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
In the review of the 3 single volume releases, ANN reviewer Casey Brienza, cautions about pixilation in volumes 1 and 2, "watch out for extreme pixilation of every page in the first and second volumes, a la the Vertical release of Andromeda Stories". I do not think that the review for the omnibus by ANN reviewer Carlos Santos mentions pixilation either way. I was wondering if the omnibus had been cleaned up in this area. Thoughts anyone? Also, he notes the surprising lightness of the large volume which I care about quite a bit. He felt it was still manageable. Was wondering if others felt the same. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1