• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making the Digital Jump With Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Well,that's just the thing-I don't have either a Nook Color or Kindle Fire,and I'm trying to decide which to buy.
Is SJ Alpha readable on one,both,or neither,and if both,is it BETTER on one or the other?

I think its a screen size question, and they both have the same screen size and the same resolution screens. If it works for you on the Kindle Fire stock browser, it should work on the Nook Tablet (8G) stock browser, and visa versa.

For the Nook, if you can get to a B&N store, you could try it out for yourself. Tap the "n" key brings up the shortcut to the main apps, the stock browser is the globe. Enter sjalpha.com into the browser bar. Pinch to zoom out and pick the series from the top menu bar. Pinch to zoom and pick one of the manga samplers.

Hit the full screen button, then the options button, pick single page, turn it portrait, and see if you can read it. If you can, great, it not, its either a bigger screen or wait until VizMedia improves their reader for small screen devices.

On which one to pick, if you want best Netflix experience (the Nook has a physically superior screen), the ability to swap microSD cards, and access to Viz's emanga's, ability to buy ebooks from a range of other online stores (though tethered to a PC to load them), get the $200 Nook Tablet "8G". If you want Amazon Prime, or a much MUCH broader range of apps to pick from, choose the $200 Kindle Fire. That includes comiXology and Crunchyroll, either of which require a Nook to be rooted.

If you want the cheapest option, get a refurbished Nook Color for $135 and go ahead and root it.

Quote:
I also follow Action Comics,Incredible Hulk,and Justice League,but I think through comixology you can read those on whatever,at least as far as I know.

This whole thing is so confusing. I already have a kindle touch,I figured it would be fine for manga if not American comics (manga's in B&W!),but no,I have to buy a whole 'nother thing.

The Nook Touch can be rooted and opened up to the Android market, but AFAIK the Kindle Touch cannot be.

Obviously its not going to be showing Youtube clips on an eInk screen, but that allows it to run Android apps to provide Amazon, Kobo, Aldiko etc. ereaders ~ the comiXology app may well work on that one!

But even that won't support Viz's Nook Comics until B&N releases an Android version of their ereader that includes Nook Comics.
InitialT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Called it! Smile On the Nook BookClub forum, three hours ago:
BN_AlexG (administrator) wrote:
Hi everyone!

We're looking for volunteers to help beta test our latest NOOK for Android Free Reading App (for both Tablets and Phones).

So someone interested in making sure that the Viz Nook editions look good on a general Android device, now's your chance to contribute.

While this is encouraging, I want to note that there's already a Nook Android app and this message does not confirm that manga will be available on the new app, merely that they are testing a new app (new version?). I'm hopeful this means we can get manga on the new app, but until the app comes out or B&N confirms ALL content will be on it, we don't know what this new app will bring.

The Nook Beta was just released along with the following info:
Quote:
We invite you to test our latest NOOK for Android 3.1 release.

We are excited to announce that we have brought our NOOK Comics catalog to Android Tablets. You can now enjoy reading more than 650 comics, graphic novels and manga from Marvel, Archie, Viz and more on your Android Tablet (OS version 2.2+).

You can get started reading any of these NOOK Comics by going to the Shop and browsing the Comics & Graphic Novels->NOOK Comics subcategory in the Books browse menu.

So yes, Nook Comics will shortly be available to everyone on Android Tablets, but probably not on Android Phones.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
InitialT wrote:
So yes, Nook Comics will shortly be available to everyone on Android Tablets, but probably not on Android Phones.

I've tried a sample of the Nook Comics on the 7" Nook Color screen, and while its workable ... I wouldn't want to do that style of reading on any screen very much smaller. You get down to a 4" screen, and then for me, I think GuidedView becomes the only really workable option. Tap Left third to next panel[*], right third to previous panel, tap middle third to zoom to 100%, grab and hold to navigate zoomed panel.

Mind, I would still very much prefer an option to hold the same zoom level when page turning ... that's the default when reading Gen Manga 1page pdf's on the Nook Color with the built-in pdf reader (ironically because the pdf reader is so limited) and even though the panning is a little fiddly, its a step up from the Nook Comics mode of the ereader and several steps up from the SJalpha or JManga online manga readers.

But if the B&N Android app runs on a cheap chinese $100 ebay 8" Android tablet, that becomes an interesting bargain basement option ~ especially if the 8" screen is the 4:3 ratio that is better for manga page displays. It would be twin touch resistive, so probably a fairly balky pinch to zoom, but if it was a 4:3 8" screen that's just about 100% zoom anyway. Those are mostly 300MHz, 256Mb RAM, 4Gb flash units, so a bigger step down from the Nook Color than the Nook Color is from the Nook Tablet 16G ... but a 300MHz processor can probably keep up with a manga page, even if it would struggle keeping up with a lot of video streaming sites.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I've just dedicated myself to reading some of these digital releases on my desktop, since I use an older classic Nook. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a subscription to Shonen Jump Alpha, and simply reading it on my desktop. While it might not be as comfortable, I can read while I'm working. The display is also quite massive.

Speaking of reading on computers, what happened to Sigikki lately? Their website recently removed a large number of chapters. Were a number of print volumes suddenly released? I know that Viz removes the chapters as they go to press.
InitialT

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I recently started buying and reading NOOK comics on my iPad and remembered this thread. Thought it might be worth updating.

NOOK comics are now available using free NOOK apps on Android tablets, Android phones, iPads, iPhones and Win8 tablets. IOS support is the most recent, having only arrived in March 2013. All of the above devices also support the Zoom View feature, with the exception of Win8.

Also worth mentioning that DC comics arrived on the NOOK in mid 2012. Apparently NOOK and DC settled their differences.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that DC and Barnes and Noble settled their differences so there can be DC content making it to the Nook. I use the first generation Barnes and Noble Nook e-reader, which means a good deal of this content is not available to me. I wish that would change, though it does not look like it will any time soon. If Viz made more things available for it, I would probably be among the first in line to purchase them.

I like reading it on the classic e-ink/e-paper display. For what it's worth I should mention that I'm now a subscriber to Viz's version of Weekly Shonen Jump. That is, of course, a digital only release now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7