• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012 (First Half)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
>#1 One Piece

and no one was surprised.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Zags wrote:
>#1 One Piece

and no one was surprised.

Well, Oda does have a long run, considering the fact that I think he's been writing and drawing longer than the other mangaka on this list.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Obligatory yay for One Piece, and I hope it continues to be an awesome series.

Hunter x Hunter being so high up never ceases to impress me considering how often it's on hiatus.

To anyone who has read some of the manga and seen the anime, which should I look at first? (Waiting for the season to end though, I'm a marathoner person).
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Hunter x Hunter being so high up never ceases to impress me considering how often it's on hiatus.

To anyone who has read some of the manga and seen the anime, which should I look at first? (Waiting for the season to end though, I'm a marathoner person).

For Hunter x Hunter?

The 2011 anime series is nearly identical to the manga. Most should know about how meticulous some Madhouse adaptions can be (ala Monster where it was animated panel-to-panel). I love both, but I guess I should throw out there that the early manga is extremely 90s. The art changes as it goes along to pretty how the art looks in the 2011 series.

If you like manga, read the manga. If you like anime, watch the anime. If doing both is your thing, do both! It really doesn't matter which you do first. Only, if you pick reading the manga, you have 30+ volumes of content out there to read, while the anime series hasn't even covered a third of it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
yeah, Kuroko no Basuke. Overall, that's some pretty weak number.
I remember when Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Death Note used to had very very good sales too. Not Naruto only sell around 1 million per vol.
Bleach is like 500k. FMA and Death Note were gone, no manga replace those.

Bakuman is no where near Death Note's number.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
and One piece crashes by 9.5 million sales from last year Laughing

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011-first-half

maybe the japanese are finally getting tired of pirates (and shitty character designs).

Naruto is very slightly up.

Fairy Tail and Kimi ni Todoke slightly down.

Bakuman and Attack on Titan down over 400,000.

Bleach and Gintama down enough to not even chart.

Toriko is not a sales hit.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Dino_Rabbit on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
What I found interesting is that Hunter X Hunter only had one volume released during this time period (vol 30, which was released in April) and yet it was only a few hundred thousand behind Naruto which had 2 volumes released in that period (vols 59 and 60 which were released in February and May).

I think it's safe to say that the Madhouse anime is generating a great amount of new interest in Hunter X Hunter. Vol. 30 sold around a million copies, so that means that almost 2 million copies of the older volumes must have sold. Those are numbers that Toriko, Fairy Tail, Bleach, or any other shounen besides One Piece and Naruto cannot reach. Ah, but it's hiatus time again.

And if you say Fairy Tail is only 500k behind, you might be surprised to know that Fairy Tail released 3 volumes during this span, volumes 30, 31, and 32 which were released in December, February, and April respectively. Bakuman also had 3 volumes released during this time.
nakobass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Just Happy Fairy Tail is still in the Top 10. Naruto and Bleach are coming to an end, so that should help the others sales slightly.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011-first-half

maybe the japanese are finally getting tired of pirates (and shitty character designs).

it's not that surprising if you go deeper into last year's numbers:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2011-first-half

see? The first 5 volumes in the series made the Top 50 (accounting for 1.7 million copies sold). Now add that number to whatever amounts vols 6-57 sold and you'll probably come close to 9.5 million. See? Not surprising when you consider what seems like everyone else in Japan got into/caught up on OP by buying all 61 vols last year, which means they're caught up this year thus: the drop
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

This is only natural.
One of the main reasons OP's sales were higher last year and the year before was because the older volumes were selling along with the newer volumes of that year. The Marineford arc, along with the Strong World hype, triggered an exponential growth of reader audience. This just means that new fans have caught up with the manga and the sales are saturating until the next major plot point.
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
Ushio wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2011-first-half

see? The first 5 volumes in the series made the Top 50 (accounting for 1.7 million copies sold). Now add that number to whatever amounts vols 6-57 sold and you'll probably come close to 9.5 million. See? Not surprising when you consider what seems like everyone else in Japan got into/caught up on OP by buying all 61 vols last year, which means they're caught up this year thus: the drop

Plus, sales on the latest volumes are UP this year compared to last.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, One Piece is declining hard, and still going. It lost like 50% sales. Ouch.

Guess its bubble burst and it's on the way out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
All of the Top 10 be anime.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

For Hunter x Hunter?

The 2011 anime series is nearly identical to the manga. Most should know about how meticulous some Madhouse adaptions can be (ala Monster where it was animated panel-to-panel). I love both, but I guess I should throw out there that the early manga is extremely 90s. The art changes as it goes along to pretty how the art looks in the 2011 series.

If you like manga, read the manga. If you like anime, watch the anime. If doing both is your thing, do both! It really doesn't matter which you do first. Only, if you pick reading the manga, you have 30+ volumes of content out there to read, while the anime series hasn't even covered a third of it.

I would suggest the first HxH animated series, too, and the OAVs and even thatrical plays. Smile
Then, see the new animated series and/or read the manga.

Sorraffy wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Indeed.

Also, OP character designs are awesome. ^^

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Yeah, One Piece is declining hard, and still going. It lost like 50% sales. Ouch.

Guess its bubble burst and it's on the way out.

It's just a little over its halfway, and last year was a turning point for it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4