• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TRSI's Print on Demand project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
POD Hunter x Hunter 14 and new Boogiepop novels.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see them re-release TokyoPop's vintage Kodocha manga. Anime smile Only 10 volumes, too.

And then there are other masterpieces from Obana Miho, such as Partner (I haven't read the others raw yet).
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
@kyokun703 and @st_owly: that would be cool, I'm curious about how the two versions compare, up close and personal. This is my second experience with POD and so far the results have been excellent.

Ok, so I finally got my copy of Hetalia vol. 1 to compare to TP's version. I posted side by side comparisons here.

To sum up, it's a great release. The cover is glossy instead of matte, the paper is slightly different, the color pics are b&w (but they said that), and maybe the binding is a little tight, but none of these are deal breakers. Everything else is the same.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Cool beans. I expect that I will commit to more TRSI POD titles in the future. Personaly I think the clean white paper TRSI used makes the books easier to read than TP's newsprint - it's easier on the eyes. The only real issue I had with them was the tendency for panels to be too close to the binding, but that's not a deal breaker.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see the news article on the Right Stuf panel mention this, so I wanted to mention it here. The email they just sent out mentioned that they're adding PSY-COMM #3 to their Print-on-Demand program.

So, good news for fans of that series.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So, my copy of Hetalia 3 arrived today. First impression was: "Ooooh shiny!" as I'd forgotten the covers were going to be glossy. To be honest, I actually prefer the matt covers from the Tokyopop release, but that's just my personal preference. Quality wise, the binding and covers seems fairly solid and the paper is noticeably better than the Tokyopop releases. The one thing I would change though, is that the colour pages in Volume 3 aren't glossy, as they are in the Tokyopop releases. I'd have preferred glossy cover pages, as it seems at the moment the colour pages are just printed on the same type of paper as the B&W ones.

To summarise: I'm happy overall, but there's a couple of small things I'd change. Do I think it is worth $15.99+shipping a volume? (it worked out at £12.50 total including shipping in the end for me) In all honesty, no, but I realise that the high price is a necessary evil of print on demand. I really think there would have been enough people wanting to buy this particular book to make an initial fixed print run viable, then go to print on demand after that, without the colour pages.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I'm late to this, but is this Print on Demand thing going to expand? Will there be other titles? I'd pay more for a volume if I could just get it and finish a series! Manga seems to go so fast!
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Hetalia, TRSI is working with Tokyopop to print volumes of their OEL series that were finished but not printed (or maybe have been finished in the meantime?). I believe that expanding this to other series is RightStuf's goal. Most likely, to start with, they'd want to make available series that have been published in English but have hard-to-find or out-of-print volumes discouraging new readers from picking them up. It depends on whether other publishers (and original license holders) are willing to work with them, and I'm sure if the initiative with Hetalia and the OEL titles is successful, those sales numbers will be useful in convincing companies to cooperate.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Aside from Hetalia, TRSI is working with Tokyopop to print volumes of their OEL series that were finished but not printed (or maybe have been finished in the meantime?). I believe that expanding this to other series is RightStuf's goal. Most likely, to start with, they'd want to make available series that have been published in English but have hard-to-find or out-of-print volumes discouraging new readers from picking them up. It depends on whether other publishers (and original license holders) are willing to work with them, and I'm sure if the initiative with Hetalia and the OEL titles is successful, those sales numbers will be useful in convincing companies to cooperate.

Exactly. If I want to read a series that has one or more OOP volumes, yet the other volumes in the series are plentiful, I'd end staying away, which would hurt sales. However, if I knew I could get the other volumes via POD, I'd end up buying it all. If not, or without this POD model, those volumes that are stockpiled will just sit on a shelf until someone uneducated picks it up. It's time to see a lot of TP's OOP stuff come back, and with POD, you don't have to take too much of a gamble. However, I could see an influx of orders that could slow things down.
Ianshelfs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly not very interested in Hetalia but the idea behind print on demand sounds great to me. Hopefully they expand this to many more tokyopop series, especially the older ones that have been out of print for awhile. The Right Stuff is awesome, by far my favorite anime retailer.

And who knows, maybe ill give Hetalia a try and regret not picking it up earlier.
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I know this thread is a bit old, but I wasn't sure I wanted to start a new one (if this is a problem, my apologies) since this one was perfectly relevant.

How is TRSI's POD project going? Are they planning to release more volumes of Hetalia? Have they discussed the possibility of bringing forth other series?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
There are plans to release volumes 4 and 5 of Hetalia, but nothing's been mentioned as to when that might be.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
There are plans to release volumes 4 and 5 of Hetalia, but nothing's been mentioned as to when that might be.

...and I'll be right there pre-ordering.

I talked to somebody who understands these POD processes a bit better than I do and they said that starting something like this is a huge gamble. Will people buy? Quality? Copyrights acquisition? Printer? Space? There were a lot of factors involved. I felt overwhelmed just listening to it all. I really hope this booms for RightStuf and I'm really hoping it sets a new trend in manga.

I would really enjoy seeing the digital manga trend overwritten with POD. There are way too many OOP and discontinued series that never really got a fighting chance or have their fans who are greatly disappointed. Having a print book is a much better option (albeit a little more expensive) than a digital reading option. I'd list my reasons, but that would just be cruel.

I will admit that digital does have its perks. Publishers can test the waters for a series without too great a risk or gamble. You can also release things faster. Also, there's that "read anywhere" aspect that's entertaining.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
st_owly wrote:

...and I'll be right there pre-ordering.

I talked to somebody who understands these POD processes a bit better than I do and they said that starting something like this is a huge gamble. Will people buy? Quality? Copyrights acquisition? Printer? Space? There were a lot of factors involved. I felt overwhelmed just listening to it all. I really hope this booms for RightStuf and I'm really hoping it sets a new trend in manga.

I would really enjoy seeing the digital manga trend overwritten with POD. There are way too many OOP and discontinued series that never really got a fighting chance or have their fans who are greatly disappointed. Having a print book is a much better option (albeit a little more expensive) than a digital reading option. I'd list my reasons, but that would just be cruel.

I will admit that digital does have its perks. Publishers can test the waters for a series without too great a risk or gamble. You can also release things faster. Also, there's that "read anywhere" aspect that's entertaining.

Yeah if a company like JManga went with POD, I would be so willing to rain much more $$$ all over them. I'm willing to pay more for a POD book, since I understand that that's a necessary evil for such a thing. I like the option of digital, since having that availability is great and all, but I like my library of books, it's my preferred way to read manga, and it always has been.

I really wish companies looked into this more. I hope that this works out for TRSI because I think this is what needs to happen to print manga, or even just books in general, once a series is done with an offset print run, do POD. Tokyopop was going to do it, and I was so excited for it. I was ecstatic that I would be able to get older series that they weren't printing anymore, then they folded. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2