• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fafner - Heaven and Earth - Movie English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I completely forgot they had this.

Never seen the show, but I suppose if I ever get around to watching that I'll watch this too.
Hononotenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Soooo Funi won't be re-licensing the Fafner anime? I want it so bad, but the old releases are so expensive.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know this franchise or how many characters from the series appear in this film, but I find it slightly noteworthy that they have gotten Stephanie Sheh (under the pseudonym Jennifer Sekiguchi) to reprise her part as Maya. Still, I'm not especially interested in this as I have no familiarity with the original series. Maybe I'll look into it and things will change.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Hononotenshi wrote:
Soooo Funi won't be re-licensing the Fafner anime? I want it so bad, but the old releases are so expensive.

They already did.

See here.

If they didn't have the license, they wouldn't be upping the episodes on their YouTube page.

I'm grateful that this is getting a dub. And hell, the cast looks somewhat okay. I haven't seen the movie but from what I remember of the series when I first watched it, it was somewhat enjoyable. The only thing I had an issue was with the character designs but I got over that as I got farther in.
notazaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't know this franchise or how many characters from the series appear in this film, but I find it slightly noteworthy that they have gotten Stephanie Sheh (under the pseudonym Jennifer Sekiguchi) to reprise her part as Maya. Still, I'm not especially interested in this as I have no familiarity with the original series. I suppose if it stands well alone, then my expectations might be different, but that seems like a slightly odd license for FUNImation.

Sheh has been in a number of Funi dubs so it's not too surprising. Though it's odd she's listed here under her pseudonym.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad I'll finally be able to see this movie properly translated!

I remember them rescuing the TV series, but didn't know they got the movie too. No OVA, though...
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
How humerus. Micah Solusod replacing Johnny Yong Bosh.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this kinda makes me nervous regarding the Black Lagoon OVAs and Shana seasons 2 and 3.

If they weren't willing to get the original cast back for this movie, what guarantee do we have that they'll do it for those shows?

And I'll be honest.... I'd be REALLY upset if they replaced the actors for Black Lagoon. The original dub was damn near perfect already. Sad
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
To me at least,

It didn't seem like Funimation had the license to print and distribute either Fate/SN or Shana that long...

I was ticked that we could only get the Shana OVA's with the full series release and not as a separate DVD/DVD's.

I just wonder how practical it is to release sequel series/later seasons when the original shows aren't available anymore for MSRP!

I hate the anime scalping on the Net...

Nice to hear Funi thinks there's enough interest in Fafner to release the movie in addition to the series re-release. I DID get the full series release from Geneon in spite of all the negative critiques and charges of Gundam Wing revisionism Fafner got... There are only so many character designers out there!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
So maybe with this they will finally release the Fafner DVD set that they've probably been sitting on for a few years now? It'd certainly make for good timing. Seems they're just about done sitting on some of the other Geneon stuff (like Haibane Renmei), do those licenses really make such good seat warmers?

Anyway at first I was all onboard for buying a Fafner set, but then I saw the name "Tow Ubukata" and that he wrote Le Chavlier....that rather made my heart sink....I'll have to think about if I'd want to blind buy Fafner.
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
This is great news.

I've been waiting for this movie to be released for ages. I'm a huge fan of the tv series and am really interested to see how things progress in the movie.

I just wish they'd release the OVA along with it.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
There's a LOT of Geneon stuff that I wonder about...

I passed on a lot of the "girly anime" because it just seemed so utterly stupid. A lot of it really is sugary and very boring.

On the other hand, early on Pioneer/Geneon had a very solid back-catalog of laserdisc era anime that got re-issued on DVD. Problem was that was most of the best stuff they ever did!

I really don't know what they were thinking with releasing shows like Mao-Chan in the US. There were just too many shows like that which didn't sell and they never got many of their series on American TV, either.

It also didn't help that as the anime home video market was collapsing in the US that many of the cable channels that experimented with anime programming utterly dropped it without a word. At one point in time, Tech TV, Sci Fi Channel, Cartoon Network, Spike, and several pay-for-view/movie channels were showing quite a bit of anime. (Anime Channel and Funimation Channel have never been that big... They're essentially a non-factor.)

Yeah, I think it really helped in the past that Star Blazers, Robotech, Voltron, and so were widely syndicated and showed as often as they were at decent hours. There's still a huge audience for those shows decades later that still buy re-issues and upgraded versions of those shows.

The stuff that gets shown on Cartoon Network at 3 AM in the morning? Not so much...

We will never see the Robotech/Voltron days again because the TV landscape has completely changed.... There are hardly any independent TV stations left -- most are part of a network that has strict programming so they can't fill in many slots with alternate programming. Also, there's so many choices of channels now that nobody is retaining the kind of audiences that used to be there pre-1990s.

YouTube and other ad-supported online video channels are probably the best chance anime has at wide exposure in the West again... I still have to wonder, though... I just don't think that many "anime fans" today are more than casual viewers who will really support the industry and buy shows.

It just seems like a bunch of these guys and girls are only interested in cosplaying as their favorite character designs and barely know much about the shows beyond the character names. Those people will be gone in four years, tops, and never look back in most cases. Same with many DBZ fans.

Doesn't seem like anime grows or retains many people long-term.

20+ year fans like me are the exception, hardly the norm...
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

They sound Identical. Remember Soul from Soul Eater and everyone though that it was Jonny Bosch.

What is suprising is that Funi hasn't had an issue in he past getting Jonny to reprise this previous roles. So, what was the reason on this one.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

They sound Identical. Remember Soul from Soul Eater and everyone though that it was Jonny Bosch.

What is suprising is that Funi hasn't had an issue in he past getting Jonny to reprise this previous roles. So, what was the reason on this one.

The role might've been small and not making it worth the time and money to fly Jonny down for the role and pay for the hotel for him to stay in til the recording finished.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
I totally forgot that Funimation had this. I thought the series was decent enough, so I might check this out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2