• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chapter title numbering

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ran into a bit of a snag for the chapter titles on Hyde & Closer. Everything starts-out fine & dandy with them being listed as "Act #: Title"... until the 6th volume where they just throw it out and start-over with "New Act #: Title." For consistency sake I did the third option, but was wondering which way is considered more correct.

1 - Be consistent, ignore their numbering and don't include anything before the colon.
2 - Ignore anything before the colon until they loop.
3 - Be consistent, list them all for both parts.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't get what you're asking. The listing you linked is consistent with what Wikipedia lists as the chapter titles (although Wikipedia lists "Part 2 chapter #", so it seems that whatever's listed in the encyclopedia is correct to how it's supposed to be listed.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
The question is primarily becuase something like "Chapter 1" is not a title. So should it be excluded from the title listing at all times, or are there cases where it makes sense to include them (at least when part of a longer or sub-title?)
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, for Sailormoon, the first two arcs have only the chapter titles listed, but for the Infinity, Dream, and Stars arcs, they're listed by "Arc #: Chapter Title" (or just "Arc #", for Stars).

I guess, for this title, leaving "Chapter #" off of the titles in the first part, and for the second part list the "Part 2 #" or whatever?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Why even include the numbers in the title? They are already numbered so it is redundant, at least up to chapter 46.

See the following with regard to episodes, but the same logic should apply to chapters:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=969294#969294
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=133941
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1