• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Using firefox and I got redirected to their Reported Attack Page and it was because of this pentac.cz.cc, I think. I'm pretty sure the ad was iCaughtSanta but uhhh.... The add is actually up on this page for me but I'm not being redirected. Weird.
edit: below the ad it says it's from adspacelist.

I got the same evil ad and redirect, but reported it in different thread before I realized you were talking about the same ad in this thread. It was also the ICaughtSanta ad (and from adspacelist), and redirected to the same site. Just now, I got it again, and it redirected to yet another malware site (according to Google): yourbeenrot.cz.cc. Either this ad network was hijacked, or they are playing dirty.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Something on this site this morning started up a Java program that installed a fake anti-virus package, that in turn insisted that my computer was full of malware, and I needed to buy their full package to clear it up. I had to edit the registry entry for .exe files to get things working properly again. Sorry I can't be more specific, my reflexive action on seeing this is to kill the internet connection and kill the web browser.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Something on this site this morning started up a Java program that installed a fake anti-virus package, that in turn insisted that my computer was full of malware, and I needed to buy their full package to clear it up. I had to edit the registry entry for .exe files to get things working properly again. Sorry I can't be more specific, my reflexive action on seeing this is to kill the internet connection and kill the web browser.

Those things are horrid - had to remove variations from three machines in my own family and they generate calls in work also.
If anyone else has the same problem, one solution that has worked most of the time for me has been to boot into safe mode and run MBAM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ran into this around 2:30 today, while logged in (I'm a paid subscriber). Saw "@kurisu" listed at the bottom of the page. It looked like flash - appeared over other content and moved around the page differently than javascript-based ads do, but I can't be sure.

I've had other issues with ads popping up on my iPad and obscuring content when I'm browsing from my iPad, whether or not I'm logged in. Do you want screenshots of those as well?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
All I need is the advertiser name from the bottom of the page and I'll take care of it (@kurisu is the server name).

It's the line that says "ads by..."
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
just got a Skittles/Kinect pop-up. "Ads by Gorilla Nation" was at the bottom when it appeared
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You know those CelebrityWire ads from Mefeedia that are showing up everywhere? Well, I think they're the main reason why whenever I try to browse ANN, especially with another window open, my browser (in this case Firefox) locks up and won't go back to normal unless I shut it down and restore. Is there any way the ads can be removed for the regular browsers? The CPM Anchor ads disappeared recently, so the same must apply to these as well.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually just had this problem myself, so it isn't an isolated incident.

And those video ads are horribly, horribly intrusive and annoying. If I have an ANN tab open with one of those one the screen, am working in another tab, and accidentally run the cursor across the spot in the other tab where the video clip is in the ANN tab then it will still trigger with audio. It's getting to the point where I don't dare have ANN on when I'm doing anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I wondered if it was just my ancient computer that caused those ads to use so many CPU cycles, but apparently it's not the case. They are indeed quite annoying, for all the reasons others have stated. Just a minute ago, I encountered the audio issue Key mentioned.

Oddly enough, the CPMstar ads haven't been playing for a while. Please, please tell me these video ads aren't a replacement for them. The CPMstar ads are far, far less intrusive and annoying.

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong about the audio issue. Sometimes, before one of the actual celebrity wire ads plays, an ad for something else will play. And ad for a show called Chicago Fire will play the audio regardless of whether you mouse over it or not.

In addition, these video ads that show up before the celebrity wire ads, whether for Chicago Fire or a video game or whatever, cannot be paused normally, and cannot be muted if/when they start playing the audio. The only way to stop them is to wait for them to finish, or click them to go to the web page of whatever they are advertising, which will pause the video.

As far as I can tell, these ads are by Mefeedia. On a line below "Ads by" is "@ruka." I'm not sure if these means the ads provider's full name is "Mefeedia @ruka" and it just shows the second part on a separate line for some reason, or if the @ruka is referencing something else.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
While earlier today, Mefeedia appeared to be gone from the site (which in turn made lock-ups nigh impossible), they slowly came back further today. While I'm pleasantly surprised that Firefox didn't lock up until the tail end of my submission of the staff for episode 2 of Sakurasou, I still advise that something should be done about the intrusive Mefeedia ads, and it should be done quick.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am hearing audio for ads but no banner to with it. There is no way to stop the audio other then closing the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Someone really needs to get Mefeedia's ads out of here. I know they'd most likely be losing ad money from us, but their ads are super-invasive and they may be screwing up one's internet and causing it to lock up with no chance to recover itself without closing the page and opening it again. Someone needs to take action, and fast.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Just got some invasive video ads... but not from Mafeedia. The bottom of the page says "Ads by Gorilla Nation."

Basically, it started with a lysol ad, then replayed a lysol ad, than did a throat drop ad, then I can't remember what. Currently it's doing one for dishwasher detergent. It plays one video ad after another.

The things that makes these ads horrible is that ALL the videos played the audio automatically, and they all were impossible to pause.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Just got some invasive video ads... but not from Mafeedia. The bottom of the page says "Ads by Gorilla Nation."

Basically, it started with a lysol ad, then replayed a lysol ad, than did a throat drop ad, then I can't remember what. Currently it's doing one for dishwasher detergent. It plays one video ad after another.

The things that makes these ads horrible is that ALL the videos played the audio automatically, and they all were impossible to pause.

I was going to listen to the new ANNCast, but I got these also. Couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from at first because it was way down on the side of the page, too. There was a Mucinex one that I muted, but after it finished, it automatically loaded up a Lysol one. Then another one after that. Then another Mucinex one after that. Then I logged in to come here and mention it. The nature of these particular ads actively interfere with features like the ANNCast because you can't permanently pause or mute them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 26