• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer: Media Blasters Cancels 1st BD Volume of Bakuman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Oh Media Blasters...Please just drop the whole Bakuman series and just go down under. Let other company such as Viz or Sentai license it.

Don't tell an anime company to go under. Even if MB isn't the biggest company out there it's still responsible for bringing stuff over from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised due to their issues. It's a shame they're having massive problems getting this out.

Though many like me have already written them off, so we can't really complain much about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Not horribly surprising, considering they gave up on the rest of the DVDs too. Not much point of releasing half a season on bluray if they have no plans to do the rest.

Would be nice if someone could rescue it but I honestly don't think it's too likely. Pity as I've been wanting to check it out...come on Crunchy, Bakuman isn't that old.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Oh Media Blasters...Please just drop the whole Bakuman series and just go down under. Let other company such as Viz or Sentai license it.

Don't tell an anime company to go under. Even if MB isn't the biggest company out there it's still responsible for bringing stuff over from Japan.

And MB aren't doing better. They aren't bringing the DVDs/BDs to the consumers they licensed such as Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei anime and Ikki Tousen - Dragon Destiny (I think)/ Great Guardians. :/
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

no one ever wishes for a company to fully go under, however MB is already flirting with chapter 11, they are down to skeleton crew and keep canceling releases they have licenses to. Aside from all the legal bs it would be best for MB to sell off any renaming licenses before they are either licensed recused from funiamtion or sentai, or even worse just fall back to japan and are never re-licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Look media blasters I'm sorry to say this but just let the anime industry go and let your company just go under already.. I never thought of saying this to an anime company but I'm just tired of hearing delays and cancellations.. John Sirebella if your seeing this I'm just gonna tell you right now you officially lost
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Moonie: I'm hoping they'll still make it with FY, as they sound really serious in getting it released. As for Bakuman on BD, it's very possible it was more of an issue with the Japanese licensor than them. They could be pulling that reverse-importation shit on MB.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah things are not looking good for the upcoming Godzilla Vs Megalon DVD release (August) either.

So is it just the Anime Works section that is having issues or is it all of Media Blasters?

BTW Sentai has not mentioned getting back stuff like Azumanga Daioh, SDF Macross, or several other "big" releases that ADV had, or have they?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Moonie: I'm hoping they'll still make it with FY, as they sound really serious in getting it released.

Well, it does look like they have managed to ship Fushigi Yuugi (the first season boxset at least), if what's reported in this post is correct.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the only good thing to ever come out of Media Blasters was the Special Edition/CE version of Record of Lodoss war.

That was Central Park Media. Media Blasters rescued Lodoss War, but canceled their planned release.

Quote:
Ikki Tousen - Dragon Destiny (I think)

Media Blasters did end up releasing that title a while back, but many fans were pissed that they didn't get the original voice cast back from the original "Battle Vixens" anime released by Geneon (and later FUNimation).
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully if they're canceling titles, it will be only a few select "new" titles. Since there's a couple of their "classics" collections that I'm wanting that are coming out in the next few months. Which it shouldn't be that hard for them, since it's basically repackaged discs of existing product.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
I predict another rescue at AX this year.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Yeah things are not looking good for the upcoming Godzilla Vs Megalon DVD release (August) either.

So is it just the Anime Works section that is having issues or is it all of Media Blasters?

BTW Sentai has not mentioned getting back stuff like Azumanga Daioh, SDF Macross, or several other "big" releases that ADV had, or have they?

Anime Network still has digital and TV rights to Azumanga Daioh, so the rights still likely sit with either AeSir/ADV or Sentai.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

no one ever wishes for a company to fully go under, however MB is already flirting with chapter 11, they are down to skeleton crew and keep canceling releases they have licenses to. Aside from all the legal bs it would be best for MB to sell off any renaming licenses before they are either licensed recused from funiamtion or sentai, or even worse just fall back to japan and are never re-licensed.

The first DVD of Bakuman sold really poorly, hence the cancellation of the BD and and the second DVD being put on hold. I find it very unlikely that FUNi or Sentai would want to rescue a show that bombed so bad that some of its future releases had to be cancelled.

Regardless, people seem to be jumping to conclusions. The delay/semi-cancellation of ONE poorly selling show is no indication that Media Blasters is closing up shop any time soon. If anything, it makes perfect sense to do this from a business perspective to PREVENT yourself from going under.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

The first DVD of Bakuman sold really poorly, hence the cancellation of the BD and and the second DVD being put on hold. I find it very unlikely that FUNi or Sentai would want to rescue a show that bombed so bad that some of its future releases had to be cancelled.

Regardless, people seem to be jumping to conclusions. The delay/semi-cancellation of ONE poorly selling show is no indication that Media Blasters is closing up shop any time soon. If anything, it makes perfect sense to do this from a business perspective to PREVENT yourself from going under.

I managed to catch Sinterniklaas at a convention last month and he suggested that the issue was in payment to the voice actors and that the Second Issue was recorded but resources were being held till payment was given.

Of course, I may have misunderstood him and need to go over my notes again. Do we have any proof that Media Blasters is holding off from more releases and progression because of poor sales?

It is successful in Japan and VIZ seem to be selling well enough that they aren't too far from Japan and volumes come out in 2/3 month intervals.

On the note of "I WANT THIS COMPANY TO DIE", I would definitely miss Media Blasters much less than FUNimation or Viz who would be likely to take over and let NYAV finish what they started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5