• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Basketball Diaries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Has there ever been a time when a manga collection was actually worth a substantial amount?

I can understand wanting to preserve some books, but if you are going to buy to collect them you might be better off just storing them away instead individually wrapping them in plastic and putting them on a shelf.

There is another reason for putting books into archival plastic: Dust. Those of us with dust allergies and book fetishes don't make for a good combination. Long ago I bagged a good percentage of my Science Fiction paperbacks just to cut down on the dust propagation caused by their presence. I didn't have enough bags to do the whole collection, but I got all of the really old (and also collectible) paperbacks, which are the biggest dust problems. I also don't have anything over the hardcover books, but it was a step toward helping me, and my dust allergic wife and daughter, have a slightly better environment without my books having to be sent into exile.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Although it's common among Western comic collectors, this is the first time I've seen a bagged manga collection. I've noticed a similar thing with otaku figure collectors(myself included), in that they seem more likely to open their figures rather than keep them in their boxes. I also collect import manga of series I don't think will get liscensed, even though I can't read Japanese. I also have some import DVDs that I can't watch, though I got those for their bonus figures.
asteroidblues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep their collection nice. Though personally I might prefer a bookcase with glass doors.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
very nice manga collection this week, I totally understand that feeling of wanting to keep your manga preserved.

Hmm I might really need to pick up unico just for the simple nostalgia factor and the simple fact it's hard to find anything around the net for it. Hell you can't even find fan-subs for that series anymore so it's nice to see it being re-released in the states.

On Seikon no Qwaser i checked out amazon and you can get the first two volumes for around 2-5 dollars each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Do the Discotek releases of the Unico movies use the old 80s dub, or have they been redubbed? I think I still have copies of the old VHS tapes somewhere from when a local video store went out of business. Though I'd like to hear the original Japanese versions too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
To the Shelf Life collector: Thank you so much for putting the English title in some of your photos.

Quote:
...Early on, the show lacks cliffhangers. I was almost never drawn from one episode into the next. [...] It's not a matter of “Will our heroes win this game?” so much as “How will they win this game?” which is slightly less compelling.

The first seven episodes focus so much on Kuroko and Kagami that we don't get much of a chance to meet the rest of the team. One reason I liked episode eight was that finally some of the upperclassman get to have personalities. Although Kuroko is the main character, he's so cold it's impossible to attach to him emotionally.

As much as I like Kuroko's Basketball, I agree that the earlier episodes didn't draw me in as much as the newer episodes. I wished the writers would have dedicated more time to the seniors of the team so that the audience could care about the whole team before entering the Nationals. There was one moment in Ep. 5 where Kuroko says, with a straight face, "Yo, look at these guns." I couldn't help but laugh a little. Anime hyper

I remembered watching a few episodes of Boogiepop Phantom when it came on Comcast On Demand a few years ago but I never knew the title of the series. All I had remembered was a boy(?) dressed in purple, a ghost(?) attacking a school girl with a train behind her, and the environment being in sepia tone. But I did enjoyed it. Now that the series in a box set, I'll buy it as soon as I can.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying The Basketball which Kuroko Plays (best Engrish title ever) since the first episode. After suffering through The Knight in the Area for months just to fill my sports anime quota, it's nice to see a sports show with great production values and a main character with a gimmick that's actually realistic. And does that opening sequence/theme rock or what? I wish it would run for more than 25 episodes, but I'll take what I can get.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I was surprised to see Boogiepop Phantom appear in this week's Shelf Life, and pleased to see that it both was licensed-rescued and received the praise it completely deserves. It's mandatory viewing for any anime fan who appreciates a little meat on their plot-bones and some well-constructed, moody atmosphere.

I'm glad it's still in circulation as well, but it didn't need license-rescuing, though. Right Stuf has had it for quite awhile.

pachy_boy wrote:
I'm glad to have gotten the thinpak artbox set for this series (which does include the movie), which are far nicer-looking and more worth having than their economical single-case releases.

I dunno, I'm still kinda partial to the Collector's Ultra Box (which I thankfully didn't have to pay full price for), but then again, I'm kind of a sucker for good tchotchkes. Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Doesn't this release of Boogiepop Phantom include the live-action film version of Boogiepop and Others?

A previous release included that movie, but this one doesn't. I still haven't seen the movie.

Mohawk52 wrote:
BTW power lines in themselves don't hum, transformers hum ... I guess the producers didn't think the intended audience would know the difference, or care.

I think it's more of a symbolic thing. You can't really see or hear the power flowing through, but the audio makes you think about it more, if that makes sense. Even if there's no transformer in the shot, hearing the electricity buzz makes you think about the danger of technology (or something like that).
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop Phantom is not so confusing if you watch the live action movie before the series. Everything makes more sense this way. The only issue is the really bad acting..
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
To the shelf-life pictures: Nice pictures, Eugen. I have some of the CLAMP titles too, and like you, I only buy anime/manga I absolutely adore. Nothing wrong with that, especially considering how much money is already spent on them. I just have one little complaint: the bags. I can see why they are used, but are they necessary? It just seems like an extra expense. I understand if you want to preserve your manga, but they won't get ruined easily. All my manga are on a shelf and there is no wear or tear to speak of.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have to disagree with you on Kuroko, but it is suprising that you you flushed it given how you gave Lagrange a pass (you said you didn't like most of its episodes and only warmed up to it later despite the high production values). Oh well, at least Bamboo is still digging it, so there is still hope. I am glad that we are getting some good sports anime lately, what with Ginga in the mix.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
Although it's common among Western comic collectors, this is the first time I've seen a bagged manga collection.

I always see comic book collectors bag their comics-- even for series that aren't likely to go up in value. Why is it so strange for manga? If you're going to read a volume, it's not that much effort to unbag it and then put it back in the bag when you're done.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
This comment has nothing to do with the article per se, rather it is about the submitted photos at the end.

What the? I can understand putting them in a bag so they will not be damaged (granted I do not do that), but never reading them? Seriously? I just feel sad for the books now. It's like having a smart boyfriend/girlfriend but you do not want them to speak as long as they look pretty standing beside you. Books are meant to be read, that's their thing! And you cannot say that you do not want to read them in order not to crease them. I read my manga over and over and they never even crease at the spine, not even the chunky, 4 in 1 omnibuses.

Seriously, if you've never curled up in your bed or sofa with a nice manga to read, you're missing out on what I can see is a wonderful collection (The only thing we have in common are the CLAMP series, though I've heard good things about the others as well.)

Sorry about the rant. I get emotional over books.

*Faraway voice from the internet: Gee, you don't say.*

The actual titles and the way they've been organized indicate a very good amount of eccentricity. Seriously, these aren't some of the most tasteful titles (not a personal opinion), and keeping them in a state that defeats their purpose for existence is insulting to them as books.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
Do the Discotek releases of the Unico movies use the old 80s dub, or have they been redubbed? I think I still have copies of the old VHS tapes somewhere from when a local video store went out of business. Though I'd like to hear the original Japanese versions too.

They have the original English and Japanese dubs. DiscoTek hasn't commissioned any dubs of their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3