• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oreimo Artist Warned About Putting Own Art, Music on Niconico

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This is what you get when businesses go the protectionist route rather than the one that gives the customers what they want and make money off of it. The Japanese companies are so desperate to protect their house of cards system for anime and manga, which is why there are criminal copyright laws (insane) now, leading to hypersensitivity on the part of places like Niconico. It really is a crying shame.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
wow just wow...

nice to see you again ANB it's been a while since I've seen you on the funi board it's me kingdomkey101
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading this on, I think yaraon, a few weeks back, but couldn't figure out what the article was talking about since machine translation is pretty bad.

Now, I know what's going on. I don't know if he's overreacting or not since I don't how if one can really abuse NicoSound. But, it does seem pretty silly if he uploaded the stuff using his own account.
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
wow just wow...

nice to see you again ANB it's been a while since I've seen you on the funi board it's me kingdomkey101

Bet this guy has two dead hobos in the trunk of his car. Watch out, ANB.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
uhh my head hurts just thinking about this legality b.s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
wow just wow...

That's mean, I never get to see him anymore and this is the response I get.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the issue. The system scanned for copyrighted content, found it, and warned the user. The user then showed that he had proper rights to use the content and all warnings or account flags were removed.

Sounds like everything working smoothly imo.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't see the issue. The system scanned for copyrighted content, found it, and warned the user. The user then showed that he had proper rights to use the content and all warnings or account flags were removed.

I think the problem is they should have stuff like this settled before it happens. Probably should implement some sort of "Verified" deal similar to the way twitter does it.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
wow just wow...

Hiya! Yeah, I rarely do forums these days. Don't have the time, and FUNi's boards aren't the fastest navigating experience around. Anime smile;;;

Kohii wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
wow just wow...

*lol* I always try to be careful. ^_~

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kohii wrote:

That's mean, I never get to see him anymore and this is the response I get.

Well, you can find me on my blog, Twitter, Facebook, and even Google+. ^_~ Good hearing from ya. Anime smile

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Well if you ordered smooth peanut butter and you got super chunky, I don't think you'd say, "Wow! That's smooth." ^_~

When someone has the legal authority to upload content and then has to jump through hoops to prove they AREN'T a criminal worse than child rapists ('cause we all know that copyright violators are the worst scum on the planet, doomed to being raped to death in prison for their heinous crimes against humanity), I don't call that smooth. Indeed, I call that crap.

Then again, I've heard that in Japan, you are guilty until proven innocent for the most part (although officially, you are supposed to be presumed to be innocent), which kinda seems to be where America is heading as well. Any system that automatically deems you to be in violation of copyright law (or any other law for that matter) is a "guilty until proven innocent" system, period. That is the wrong path to head down, even more so for something trivial as a copyright violation. But as I said in my initial post, this is what happens when corporations seek protectionist laws from the government.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

It's probably noteworthy because it is a rare case of an established artist, whom new copyright enforcement mechanisms are ostensibly designed to protect, having to confront the new status quo themselves and face up to the consequences of tighter copyright enforcement.

Faced with the same creative hurdles corporate IP owners have been hanging over everyone else's heads for years, without the benefit of a record label or movie studio at his back to give him a pass, is it really a surprise that he doesn't like what he sees either?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Because he originally drew the art-work and came up with the music?? Biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea IMO if they start a trend of treating artist/writers/creators like shit then I can see major issues in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
just so you know this happens in america too, it is not just related to anime

some singer put her songs up on youtube and got suspended, don't remember who it was katie perry or something like that

anyway, he is being a baby and should deal with it
most likely the automated system did it, no one was out to get him
if he stopped receiving his paychecks in the mail he would change his tune about supporting DRM

our goal is not to stop using youtube and nico or other sharing services but to convince rights holders that they are not doing what is best for their own image or the community by enforcing take down notices with an iron fist.

I myself received take down notices for K-On from TBS by youtubes automated system.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

some singer put her songs up on youtube and got suspended, don't remember who it was katie perry or something like that

if he stopped receiving his paychecks in the mail he would change his tune about supporting DRM

our goal is not to stop using youtube and nico or other sharing services but to convince rights holders that they are not doing what is best for their own image or the community by enforcing take down notices with an iron fist.

I myself received take down notices for K-On from TBS by youtubes automated system.

Face-desk. I hardly doubt you're an original creator of the k-on franchise. This is a tad different from posting some random amv or scans online compared to the actual creator being treated like shi*. What if creators want to promote and share their work sooner to gain more fans?? Are they not with in their rights to do so.. actually never-mind I'm sick of the whole ordeal/mess. This is why I support indie developers like r7 or other comkiet circles/fan manga creators. They care about sharing their work and people enjoying it.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

Face-desk. I hardly doubt you're an original creator of the k-on franchise. This is a tad different from posting some random amv or scans online compared to the actual creator being treated like shi*. What if creators want to promote and share their work sooner to gain more fans?? Are they not with in their rights to do so.. actually never-mind I'm sick of the whole ordeal/mess. This is why I support indie developers like r7 or other comkiet circles/fan manga creators. They care about sharing their work and people enjoying it.

Well it is a sort of valid point. How does youtube not know he is a legitimate rightsholder for K-On? It sounds like Hiro Kanzaki simply tried uploading some material from a standard account and then complains that he got a ton of notices. He should of notified NN in advance of his plans, they have no way of knowing any old account is a rights holder unless they are told. And there is nothing to suggest here that the man was trying to do this off anything but a standard user account.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Because he originally drew the art-work and came up with the music?? Biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea IMO if they start a trend of treating artist/writers/creators like shit then I can see major issues in the future.

Did he publish the music through a recording company? If so, he doesn't have the rights to just give it away or do what he wants with it, the company also has a say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2