• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Volumes 1-4 are the pre time skip parts, i.e what the anime covered. Volume 5 starts directly after the time skip, so you could just get 1-4 and pretend the others don't exist.

That's what I did! Not a bit of regret there.

Also, I've got a couple of new contenders for Worse Manga Brainchild Has Ever Read. The first was Gakuen Prince, which is supposed to be subervise but instead is massively misogynistic, sexist, and makes me think that the mangaka still has MASSIVE issues from her high school days (I mean, it's about a school where every girl but the lead is a man-crazy Mean Girls who bully the lead constantly for not being One of Them and threaten the lead male with gang rape - literally).

The other one was Black Bird, and my god I'm shocked and saddened by the fact that a crappy series like this can be such a bestseller in the manga world. It's about a girl who can see spirits, and the spirits in return want her because her blood, her flesh, and/or her virginity can give them major, magical benefits (eternal youth, eternal life, and prosperity). She is flat-out claimed by Kyo, a tengyu who spends most of his time in human form, flighting off every demon the lead girl wanders off with, stalking her in between fights, and healing her wounds by suggestively licking her, usually without consent. The lead girl is possibly THE most hapless, helpless female lead I've seen in a shoujo, and I don't know what makes me more uncomfortable: the creepy, selfish possessiveness of Mr. Bad Touch Tengyu or the fact that the mangaka clearly gets off on bloodplay.

Both of these manga made me want to toss them at the wall, flee to the bathroom, and try to scrub their noxiousness off of my skin for very different reasons. I swear, the worst of shonen has nothing on the worst of shoujo; bad shonen just tends to be dumb, but bad shoujo tends to be creepy.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Volumes 1-4 are the pre time skip parts, i.e what the anime covered. Volume 5 starts directly after the time skip, so you could just get 1-4 and pretend the others don't exist.

im one of those "WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN" kinda guys, plus i get all jittery knowing there are volumes of a series i dont have, i got it bad.

s'aright i got way too many manga to buy anyway
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
I wasn't much of a fan of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney manga. I picked up the first volume thinking it would be case-solving stuff (like a lawyer version of Detective Conan), and instead it was just short, comedic strips. I never played the games, so I guess that probably hurts my appreciation quite a bit. I mean, the manga has literally no appeal to someone who hasn't played the games. Really a bummer.

I just rented the first two vols from the library myself and kinda forced myself through the first chapter. See, the games are fun, I love them (though I love Ghost Trick by the same people more, if you have a DS, it's only a single game, so you should pick it up, it's probably in my top 3 fav DS games), but part of the fun of the games are talking to all the hilariously named characters and rubbing different objects against them for stupid reactions. And then figuring out the solution yourself and finding all the evidence. And really, I couldn't read the manga without thinking of the sound blip used for speaking in the games. It's a mere shadow of the games, fans might *enjoy* it, but probably won't be all over it. I can't honestly imagine it having any appeal to those who haven't played the game, it's banking on the fact that you've played the games as is (I'd say at least 2 of them). It's probably selling well though cus it's still Phoenix Wright (I think there's an artbook for the game too, right? That would interest me far more)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Which Phoenix Wright manga are we talking about? The Official Casebooks published by Del Rey? Yeah, those were bad, often barely above mediocre doujinshi level. But the other series, the one published by Kodansha, captures the feeling of the games well. The (all new!) cases are pretty good too. My own complaint is that artstyle is a bit blah, but the mangaka is obviously enthousiastic about the project, so it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

(And yeah, Ghost Trick is awesome! Missile is adorable! If only real life yappy dogs were so smart and cute...)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
st_owly wrote:

That's what I did! Not a bit of regret there.

Also, I've got a couple of new contenders for Worse Manga Brainchild Has Ever Read. The first was Gakuen Prince, which is supposed to be subervise but instead is massively misogynistic, sexist, and makes me think that the mangaka still has MASSIVE issues from her high school days (I mean, it's about a school where every girl but the lead is a man-crazy Mean Girls who bully the lead constantly for not being One of Them and threaten the lead male with gang rape - literally).

Wow, that's like every cliche I hate rolled into one. Anime hyper Bleh...

Quote:
The other one was Black Bird, and my god I'm shocked and saddened by the fact that a crappy series like this can be such a bestseller in the manga world. It's about a girl who can see spirits, and the spirits in return want her because her blood, her flesh, and/or her virginity can give them major, magical benefits (eternal youth, eternal life, and prosperity). She is flat-out claimed by Kyo, a tengyu who spends most of his time in human form, flighting off every demon the lead girl wanders off with, stalking her in between fights, and healing her wounds by suggestively licking her, usually without consent. The lead girl is possibly THE most hapless, helpless female lead I've seen in a shoujo, and I don't know what makes me more uncomfortable: the creepy, selfish possessiveness of Mr. Bad Touch Tengyu or the fact that the mangaka clearly gets off on bloodplay.

Ugh, I was not impressed by Black Bird at all. The fact that it looks like the girl is being molested on every cover is a big turn-off, the art is not even that good and Kyo's not sexy-he's creepy. WHY IS THIS THING SO POPULAR!? o____O

Quote:
I swear, the worst of shonen has nothing on the worst of shoujo; bad shonen just tends to be dumb, but bad shoujo tends to be creepy.

Never realized it but yeah, you're absolutely right. o_o Though I've read mediocre shoujo aimed at younger audiences that are just boring. But they're not rage-inducingly offensive like the creepy smut ones are....
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I only read one volume of Black Bird, I didn't get to anything horrifically bad, but I could see it quickly going there within the next few chapters. I just wanted to see what the big deal was about so the library helped me out there. But yeah, those covers make me uncomfortable big time. Also, while reading the slightly more in detail plot description, I thought "this sounds a bit like Twilight but with Japanese stuff instead of vampires". And it sounds like the girl in Black Bird could also be replaced with a Cheeseburger with little change to the plot.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Which Phoenix Wright manga are we talking about? The Official Casebooks published by Del Rey? Yeah, those were bad, often barely above mediocre doujinshi level.

Yeah, these are the ones I was referring to. I think there were 2 of them published. I didn't realize there was another set of them being published. I may check them out if my local book shop has some I could page through.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And it sounds like the girl in Black Bird could also be replaced with a Cheeseburger with little change to the plot.

*snort*
This sentence.
It amuses me. Anime hyper

*replaces all the manga covers with a cheeseburger instead of the girl*

HA, NOW THAT'S FUNNY.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Also, while reading the slightly more in detail plot description, I thought "this sounds a bit like Twilight but with Japanese stuff instead of vampires".

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to, which sadly explains some of its popularity. The major difference is while the Twilight series is all about chastity, Black Bird is all about sleeze and suggestiveness.

Quote:
And it sounds like the girl in Black Bird could also be replaced with a Cheeseburger with little change to the plot.

Very true! Hell, I would have much rather read that story:

"I will possess you someday. You will be mine!"
"...."
"*sniff* Mmmm, you smell utterly delicious."
"...."
"I can't resist any longer!" *chomplicknuzzlesuck*
"...."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go write what will surely be the next big thing in shoujo, Demon Bride Cheeseburger-Chan.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I am going to assume you've all seen this, but I'll link it just in case: Twilight with Cheeseburgers parody. The acting is actually better than the actual movie. Also, this comic.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Hot Gimmick

Holy fudge on a stick that series is just wrong on so many levels. I hate a little part of myself for actually buying the volumes because I KINDASORTA knew what I was getting into. Also, the fandom for HG makes me sick.

Facesforce wrote:
Decedents of Darkness
I only picked up volume four but the actual permissive to the entire novel was Yaoi.... And that was my entry into buying a much better manga known as Death Note. I was appalled, but I found the format fascinating...

I don't care how old this post is. Yami no Matsuei is not yaoi in any way. It's entirely the fandom's fault.

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
The worst for me is unquestionably Basara. I thought I might like it, because I like Post-Apocalypse stories, but the story in the first volume was rather dull, uninteresting, and incredibly whiny. And remember, this is coming from a man who sort of likes Naruto. The art was also unquestionably ugly. It wasn't like detailed ugly like Grappler Baki or Berserk, but just straight up ugly.

So much wrong in one post. It hurts.

[EDIT: Please use the Edit button to add to your own post instead making 3 consecutive ones. -TK]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I don't care how old this post is. Yami no Matsuei is not yaoi in any way. It's entirely the fandom's fault.

Erm....no, that's not really true. I suppose it depends on what your definition of "yaoi" is but I use it loosely when I refer to love or sexual situations between any two guys, and Yami most certainly has this:

spoiler[Muraki raped Hisoka when Hisoka was a human, then killed him afterwards. Muraki is constantly trying to get Tsuzuki to have sex with him, a romantic relationship between Tsuzuki and Tatsumi is strongly implied and one between Tsuzuki and Hisoka is strongly implied. And by strongly implied, I mean, you'd have to be blind to miss it. Anime hyper]

If you had said a different series like "Gensoumaden Saiyuki/Gundam Wing, Weiss Kruez is not yaoi in any way. It's entirely the fandom's fault." I'd agree to that...because it's all speculation, teasing, and slash. Yami is not slash, however. It's quite blatant in showing men desiring other men and it certainly isn't afraid of mentioning sexual things between said men.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
So that makes Banana Fish yaoi, too? Or better yet, Berserk is yaoi? You learn something new each day, I guess. Razz
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
So that makes Banana Fish yaoi, too? Or better yet, Berserk is yaoi? You learn something new each day, I guess. Razz

i just got a mental image of a typical BL book cover with guts and donovan on it.......guts looked upset lol
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:

Haven't read either one but if there's men trying to sex other men on the side, then yes, it's not straight-up yaoi but it has yaoi situations so it can be considered "yaoi-ish".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21