• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AM² 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Roughly the same number of people as AnimeExpo 2003 at the same site. Would have truly been déjà vu if I had gone last weekend.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't have been more then an hour and a half's drive in for me to go to AM2, a distance which usually isn't that much of a concern, but I didn't end up going this year.

Mainly because me and my con going friends were more focused on saving money for AX, working on cosplay, or just really didn't want to attend a con two weeks before another one. I wonder if this is a feeling that other might have shared as well, especially in regards to the low dealer's room turn-out.
Would the money being spent maybe be better if it was two weeks after AX then before?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Why would there be a lounge for MLP? It's not anime.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I was there all three days, and I can personally attest to the remarks about the "relaxed, intimate feeling". Although most definitely not like the somewhat business-y vibes of say, AX, it wasn't a 24/7 party like Otakon, either. It felt, for all intents and purposes, like a very casual affair.

However, while it was a nice weekend distraction, it was definitely lacking in content that a more... Shall we say, seasoned fan would be attracted to. That there was virtually no industry presence aside from low profile staff members and a few dub voice actors (You'll have to forgive me for not recalling their names, as I don't normally follow dubs or the people involved with them) was probably the single biggest thing to hurt possible attendee attraction (especially given that AX is just around the corner).

On the plus side, nearly every single staff member, vendor, and con-goer I encountered was kind, courteous, and respectful of those around them whenever possible; which is a major plus in my book.

Other than that, I struggle to find anything else to say. AM² was a mildly pleasant experience, and I can only hope that they'll continue to grow and come into their own within the next few years until they can provide a true alternative to the other summer con experiences in my beloved home state (Anything that means I don't have to go to Los Angeles is a major plus in my book).
takashi_am

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but 15,000 is lie!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Why would there be a lounge for MLP? It's not anime.

The logo shows:

Besides, for a young convention that wants to challenge AX, the last thing they wanna do is be too restrictive. Save that for later when there's a need for attendance cap.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Besides, for a young convention that wants to challenge AX, the last thing they wanna do is be too restrictive. Save that for later when there's a need for attendance cap.

I suppose so.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
takashi_am wrote:
I'm sorry but 15,000 is lie!

Events typically do a 'turnstile' attendance when there are no tickets to buy or anything. It's more likey between 5000 and 10000 with some people showing up multiple days.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
I would attended it, but this year's not a good year not when I just got started on a new job. I might consider attending it next year, but it's still a maybe.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
The 15,000 number has to be derived from turnstile. There were not 15,000 people there. I was there, and while Saturday was busy, Friday was light, and Sunday was practically dead.

I thought it was (mostly) enjoyable. There were a few things I didn't like, but, every con has its ups and downs.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The 15,000 number has to be derived from turnstile. There were not 15,000 people there. I was there, and while Saturday was busy, Friday was light, and Sunday was practically dead.

I thought it was (mostly) enjoyable. There were a few things I didn't like, but, every con has its ups and downs.

Official quote I got on Friday was 3,600 unique visitors. I was also told they used a 3rd party service to count heads, etc.

The ACC is just huge; until you have 5,000 people in that space at once it's going to feel like a ghost town.
takashi_am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like more problems at AM2 when you see AM2 official forum

http://forums.am2con.org/index.php?/topic/896-am²-2012-feedback-thread/
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
takashi_am wrote:
Looks like more problems at AM2 when you see AM2 official forum

http://forums.am2con.org/index.php?/topic/896-am²-2012-feedback-thread/

Are you really linking to your GAR-posts on their forum too?

Yeah dude, I get it. You don't like those people. Maybe it's time to bring that up with them.
takashi_am

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Are you really linking to your GAR-posts on their forum too?

Yeah dude, I get it. You don't like those people. Maybe it's time to bring that up with them.

Did you see their announcement today? Now AM2 is reporting 30,000+ turnstyle, 15,000 uniques?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
takashi_am wrote:

Did you see their announcement today? Now AM2 is reporting 30,000+ turnstyle, 15,000 uniques?

There's nothing official on their website reporting that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2