• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Basketball Diaries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
I'm glad it's still in circulation as well, but it didn't need license-rescuing, though. Right Stuf has had it for quite awhile.

A-ha, my bad. The domestic anime industry's been in such flux lately that I've not been able to keep up like I used to.

Glad to hear Right Stuf's still in the game, at that. They always were one of my favorites for producing high-quality releases of really good, fairly obscure titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I always see comic book collectors bag their comics-- even for series that aren't likely to go up in value. Why is it so strange for manga? If you're going to read a volume, it's not that much effort to unbag it and then put it back in the bag when you're done.

It's not that I'm against it or anything--just an observation. Back in school I was on the fringes of the comic geek crowd...a lot of them were on the extreme end of anal-retentive when it came to their collections. By comparison, Otaku on the average seem more casual with their manga collections. However if the read/lend/keep thing from LUCKY STAR is true, I might be only seeing the reading and lending copies.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

To be fair, Eugen says they have not been opened, and that is because s/he has already read them. It was the same way with the anime I had already watched OnDemand or on linear TV. Until you want to re-experience the content, why risk exposing it to the outside by unsealing the package?
)

I think the fact that those books have never been opened and read is the sad part. The purpose for which they were made is not being fulfilled. Though that implies some weird empathy on my part for the book.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I like a good sports anime as much as the next, but they always seem to fall prey to a lack of realism. Case in point is the high school player In Kuroko who never misses a shot. They even have him throwing up multiple full court shots with nothing but net. I found this so infuriatingly ridiculous I wanted to throw something at my TV (fortunately I didn't as I am sure it wouldn't have been good for the LCD screen).

I realize they have to make some efforts to make characters stand out, but come on! I hate it when they trot out such ridiculously unrealistic characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3