• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part II: Ice To See You

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad Genocyber made it on someone's list. I think it deserves more attention just because it's so f****d up. It's definitely the bloodiest anime I've seen.

Evangelion has always been special to me. One specific reason is because I feel like I can really relate to Shinji, because I've struggled with depression my hole life and also had daddy issues.

Last edited by taster of pork on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Aww man, and here I have a test I should be studying for. Thanks Zac and friends for all your hard work.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
My flash plugin rarely crashes. It has certainly never crashed while listening to the ANNCast before.

Zac's "Ahonlahwannabewuthyeeeeeuuu" impression crashed the plugin 7 seconds in.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Props for both Sexy Commando, cause my old Anime club pres liked to hurt us with stuff like that, and YKK, because Slice of Life.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why Mike Toole listed Mad Bull 34, but Justin talking about Genocyber would basically be the equivalent of me listing Gundam Seed Destiny as my number 5 of the 2000's and then talking about how amazing the music, Meer, Durandal, the battle in Orb is and then telling them that I frequently push fast forward.

Bamboo Dong list the reason why I hate what Kazuhiro Furuhashi did to Kenshin. He never understood what made Kenshin worked so the anime was only good when he was simply copying what was in the manga exactly. Kenshin was better in the Kyoto arc because Furuhashi was actually following closer to the manga.

For me third impact represents suicide, you can either end it all by accepting instrumentality, you reject life and live in a fake world, or you can reject third impact you accept life and get to live on as an individual.

For me the movie is the more hopeful ending, because it shows that Shinji has accepted life. and gets to rebuild from there. See the scene in the aquarium where they talk about how this is a step in figuring out how to restore the ocean.

I still suspect that Tsurumaki has more to do with the movies than Hideaki Anno.

Giant Robo to me is the ideal mecha anime, Imagawa basically just threw in everything and made it something special. In 7 episodes he creates a world where anything can happen, and its a world of possibility.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Happy to hear a mention of Magical Project S, and Mike Toole defending it.

As far as Sailor Moon goes, Ikuhara started with the Black Moon arc of R (Satou continued on from the first season to the Makaiju arc of R).

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
^ I put Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou as number one on my list because it's probably the loveliest slice-of-life manga I've ever read, and, while the first animated version of it, the 1998 OVA, barely scratched the surface of the world of the manga, the two episodes work nicely as a standalone one-hour "movie" with the clothesline story arc of Alpha trying to get the perfect shot on her camera.

I'm also the guy who included the Pretty Sammy/Magical Project S on my list. There are all sorts of anime I could have included (probably the You're Under Arrest OVA if we had been allowed to list four), but I went with MPS because I consider it to be kind of a pinnacle as being the first show to really cash in on the allegedly unexpected popularity of Sailor Moon with the otaku male audience, and I think it's one of the primary, if overlooked, proto-moé shows that helped to define the moé niche. Back when I first discovered anime websites in Japanese circa 1996, Pretty Sammy was the big new thing. I'm also more prone to list the Magical Project S TV series than the Pretty Sammy OVA series as the TV series aired in "family hour" and, as such, the creepier sexual elements of the OVA were very toned down. And they didn't try and shoehorn every other Tenchi Muyo character into every episode, unlike the OVAs, so the focus was much more on Sasami and Misao.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
This has been my favorite podcast yet. I love all the Evangelion and Utena discussion. It just never gets old. While I'm sure my love for Sailor Moon may have some roots in nostalgia, I still love it more than anything when I watch it, and I watch it quite often, so it's not like I just remember it fondly. Sure it has flaws, everything does, but it's still my favorite thing. The magical girl shows that include a lot of romance are always my favorite, so I even enjoyed Wedding Peach a bit...since it was brought up.

The song segment was super fun. I went to a Backstreet Boys concert when I was in high school. It was awesome.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
For all of the people who praise Ghost in the Shell, I wonder how many have seen Patlabor 2, or even Patlabor 1. I know I brought this up in the previous thread, but it's more relevant here. The type of directing Oshii does for GitS isn't groundbreaking, even the kinds of framing he does are just recycled from previous works; Twilight Q's shots of a city through the apartment window are reused when Motoko gets out of bed. The slow pans of the city with Kenji Kawai doing his thing were more interesting in Patlabor 1, where they actually connect to the investigation plot, Asuma and the detective have reason to be in that ramshackle part of town, but GitS is just showing off down and dirty Hong Kong because it can. More importantly, Patlabor 2 is a progression off of established characters and it clearly shows that they're growing up and moving on in their lives away from their days at SV-2. As mentioned on the last ANNcast talkback, I also feel that the messages of false peace just mean so much more to us, to Japan, to anyone in the first world, than the offhand possibility that robots might gain consciousness, which was already well explored in Blade Runner and currently being done in GitS' contemporary: Armitage III. You just so rarely see such a mature piece that's so fully realized come out of Japanese animation.

And I totally forgot about possibly my favorite scene in all of anime, when spoiler[the military descends upon Tokyo, all of the soldiers looking off into the distance with blank stares, mirroring the continuing daily lives of the civilians, and then the snow falls.] It's so eerie and moving, and it's so possible. This film and Beautiful Dreamer are no doubt my top Oshii picks, and no surprise that BD includes one of my other favorite single shots: the entire harrier scene. God does that film need a BluRay. For all of Oshii's problems in live action film, he's the Kubrick of anime.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast, guys. I really need to watch Utena. Maybe I should pick up the three sets for my birthday. Also need to re-watch Patlabor 2, that was a damn good movie.

Honestly I couldn't relate to Evangelion the first time. But I watched it again when I was going through terrible shit in my life and I could totally relate to Shinji, but I felt like watching the show helped move on and try to live life in a more positive outlook. Also the End of Evangelion gave me nightmares.

Also, the Ah My Goddess movie was released in 2000, not 1999. Very Happy

Last edited by deathfromabove1993 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think of including Patlabor because I consider it to be more "1980's", but, if Zac had asked for a 1990's top 5, I might have included the 2nd Patlabor OVA series since there are several standalone episodes I consider genius, particularly Our Karuizawa, with the two section heads stranded in a love hotel, and Versus, an entire episode based on an argument as to whether rote memorization is superior to being able to access information quickly.

I understand why people consider the Patlabor 2 film to be a masterpiece, but I've always found it a little too slow and sober for my tastes and I prefer the wit of the OVAs.

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion is a show about painfully flawed (and thus very realistic) characters, set in a post-apocalyptic backdrop which (like Akira) serves as a social commentary on post-World War II Japanese society as a whole, and the "Lost Decade" of Japan's 1990's recession in particular, in which "fighting aliens using giant robots" is used as a simple metaphor for "facing life's problems".

The one constant through all the years, has been Evangelion. The American anime market has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. Hit series have had their 15 minutes of fame only for people to forget what they were called within a year. Fads have come and gone. Major distribution companies have risen to dizzying heights and crumbled to nothing just as fast.

But Evangelion has marked the time.

This series, this story, is a part of our past. It reminds us of what anime as a storytelling medium it truly capable of at its best. It reminds us of all that once was good in the anime market...and what it could be again.

People keep coming back to Evangelion for reasons they can't even fathom. The people will keep come back to Evangelion; people will most definitely come.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Soooo, anyone read the explanation to the years of circling he wrote for Ah My Goddess?
Eustace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Good christ, I had that Happy Hardcore Rubber Ducky song sealed so far back in the vault of my brain, Zac, and I hate you now for bringing it back to the surface.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Melissa Fahn voices Ed.

And I really disagree with so many of these picks but to each their own, of course.

And Shinji is the only good thing about Evangelion. I mean yeah, it's an important series but it's not actually good.

And am i th eonly person who says "OAV" instead of "OVA"?

EDIT: Now that I finished listening... you guys seem very stuck up and quick to say a show sucks. :/ Oh well.

Last edited by Graceful Nanami on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15