• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Modify Anime pages

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragosvr92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Greetings,

There are a couple Romanian Animes, which were Dubbed in my native language, Romanian. You have no data about that. Would it be possible, to allow me to edit anime pages, and add extra data that i can find? If i am already allowed to do this, how do i ....?

PS: I see you use phpbb2. Why, why not upgrade to phpbb3 ?
phpbb3 will be dead in a couple years also, as phpbb4 will have to be out.
You only risk to get hacked with 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome,

While I personally like to see more international anime info, we currently don't have enough hands capable of verifying that many languages (there are already plenty of error reports regarding info in Arabic). You look knowledgeable and sincere, but it took me five years to persuade the admin to add the Chinese language option, thus I can't give you a schedule of when or if Romanian language info to be incorporated into our Encyclopedia.

I've been thinking about a project with a new rank of "advanced user / language verifier", but it's a long shot (shrug).

Just how come they could recruit ~100 staff with ~30 language verifiers?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Can I confirm that we are talking about Japanese anime dubbed into Romanian?

There are a number of languages that have been requested, but I don't know what the progress on them is, if any. Chinese and Spanish are good examples of the problems that can be involved in adding new languages; there are multiple dialects of both and are spoken in multiple countries, e.g. Spain and Latin America and frequently has different Spanish dubs.

Some background reading:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10269
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18827
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26005

Regarding the forums, they are nothing like stock phpBB having been heavily modified to integrate with the rest of the site and also contain a lot of custom code for moderation and spam filtering etc. Being old doesn't make something inherently insecure, just that any vulnerabilities are well known - which also makes dealing with them easier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:
Why, why not upgrade to phpbb3 ?

I think you answered your own question:

TheKiller92 wrote:
phpbb3 will be dead in a couple years also, as phpbb4 will have to be out.

It isn't worth the effort to install a new forum and then re-add all of the custom mods, just to repeat again in two years.
Dragosvr92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
@dormcat: The infos that i will submit will be verified by me. If they would be fake, i wouldnt bother to submit them. I will add only what i find from good sources. For the start, i can include the Romanian titles. Why wouldnt you include a language/country, if you have the right data. I could just give you the data, to add it. I dont need access myself.

@Shiroi Hane:
The forums dont look that heavily modified. All i can notice is that the sessions table is part of thesite and the forums. That can be adjusted also. The owner knows what he's doing Smile

phpbb3 has better spam protection as far as i am aware of.
You are wrong. old things are insecure, and they brake easy. There are quite a lot of tutorials that show how easy is to hack phpbb 2. I never tried any as i dont care to.

@Rhyono:
The upgrade will be more complicated when that happens.
There are quite a few years till that happens anyways. There has to come 3.1, then 3.2, and then after quite a few years... 4.0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:

phpbb3 has better spam protection as far as i am aware of.

I believe Shiroi Hane was referring to custom spam protection.

TheKiller92 wrote:
@Rhyono:
The upgrade will be more complicated when that happens.
There are quite a few years till that happens anyways. There has to come 3.1, then 3.2, and then after quite a few years... 4.0.

As far as I know: There aren't any updates to go from phpBB2 to the current (or any of the RCs) of phpBB3. Which would mean a fresh install and then re-arranging the current DB to fit into changes to the phpBB3 DB, and then re-adding all of the custom mods and the bridge used to integrate the forum with the rest of the site (Encyclopedia contribution; my anime; my manga; etc). It would require a lot of time and effort and invariably result in a decent amount of down time.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:
@dormcat: The infos that i will submit will be verified by me. If they would be fake, i wouldnt bother to submit them. I will add only what i find from good sources.

Like I said, I believe you are knowledgeable and sincere, but problems would rise up if someone else claims the info you submitted were erroneous via our error report system.

In a typical difficult-to-handle error report, the reporter simply states "that role was not played by [voice actor A] but by [voice actor B]" and, if we're lucky, followed by a link to another website to support the claim. If the source page is in a language we don't read, or no source page is provided at all, a staff would have to spend hours to investigate whether the claim is either true or just a false alarm by browsing through websites (if any) in a foreign language plus sending PM back and forth between you and the error reporter -- and not everyone would reply PM in time, or at all. Then we might have to leave it there until we have more input, but doing so would decrease the credibility of our database, as unattended error reports (with red "i" markings) are visible to everyone.

We used to have a very knowledgeable staff who could speak basically all languages on Continental Europe (and certainly Romanian, as it's one of the five major Romance languages) but he's no longer active. Sad

TheKiller92 wrote:
For the start, i can include the Romanian titles.

Now I have the same doubt Shiroi Hane has had: are you talking about Japanese titles dubbed / translated into Romanian, or genuinely produced in Romania?

TheKiller92 wrote:
Why wouldnt you include a language/country, if you have the right data.

Guess what? I share the same frustration.

Taiwan has far more anime events to cover. ZUN came to Taiwan on a semi-personal trip; there was a gallery of 100 Japanese illustrators called "Japan x Eshi x World" between March and June; an official conference (i.e. held and sponsored by Japanese licensors) on Hatsune Miku in May; an upcoming concert by Junko Iwao in July, etc., not to mention the complete guest list of Comic Exhibition Taipei 2012 has been formally announced. For each event coverage I had to contact and confirm beforehand, carry my equipment to be there, sort and edit photos, transcribe and translate recordings, send the draft to an editor to brush up my English writing, double check with local licensees or even Japanese license holders to confirm our report has been online and error-free.

With the huge amount of invested time and energy (plus lots of "debts" in personal favors), an in-depth interview with Kenshi Hirokane would attract 18 replies (two of them by myself); other coverage attracted even less attention. The replies of any announcement of a North American license at a large convention (such as the upcoming Anime Expo) would outnumber it easily by a factor of 10. Or more.

To you and myself: this website is in English and serves mostly the Anglosphere. It's THE reality so deal with it.

TheKiller92 wrote:
I could just give you the data, to add it. I don't need access myself.

That would be unfair to both you and the person who acts as your proxy.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
On the phpBB side, I would like to point out this:

I admin a phpBB3. We upgraded from phpBB2. Our phpBB2 did have modifications to it, however, it was still close to the basic. This is not anywhere close to a basic phpBB2 install. It may look like one, but as someone familiar with the system, I can easily tell that it's not one.

Off the top of my head, only seeing the user interface, I can tell right away that the entire report system is a modification, as phpBB2 did not have one at all.

Secondly, and more important to ANN, is the connection between both the site and the forums and the encyclopedia and the forums. See those green links in dormcat's post? That's a custom mod, so that any link pointing back to something on ANN is a different color, differentiating between internal and external links. The fact that you can automatically generate a titled thread from a link in an article? I don't even want to know how complex that is.

Thirdly, not only are the the typical headers missing from the forums, but they have also modified it to work inside the ANN shell, which is something I would love to be able to do on the forums I admin (we are also associated with a website).

And those are just what I can see on the surface, being familiar with phpBB2's core.

And while phpBB3 does fix some things that phpBB2 had problems with, and have nice, new features, there are many phpBB2 mods that simply do not work with phpBB3's system. This would mean that ANN would have to re-create important mods from scratch, which is far more work than it is worth. It would also mean downtime for the forums, which hurts ANN as a business. I've seen the backlash when the forums go down because something goes wrong with cloudflare, or a server is having problems. The forums going down purposefully for an unneeded upgrade? Ouch, that would be bad.

ANN's system works, is secure, and is what ANN needs. "Latest and Greatest" is not always best for what is needed.
Dragosvr92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
@Rhyono:
Uhhh...????
What are you saying there. I said it has better spam protection.

You are EXTREMELY Wrong. All it needs is to update the database, to that new phpbb3 db schema/structure.

Here are a few links with the steps on how to perform the upgrade.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install&version=3#convert
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpbb3/phpbb2_to_phpbb3.htm

The forum owner managed to integrate the site with phpbb2.
He seems to know what he's doing, and he should be able to do the same thing on phpbb3 Smile

@dormcat:
Thank you.

I do not have a list of the voices, and i am not sure if there is any, on the internet. What i can be sure of, is the titles. The voice names are usually said at the end of the episodes, so thats a good source imho.

When i submit/give the data, i can give my sources, and prove it is true/credible.

I cannot confirm that it is a Romance language. It isnt imo.
I prefer to watch animes/cartoons in their original language. Dubbing is usually crappier than the original. But i would like to contribute .. i have enough free time anyways, so i can research and contribute to the database, when i have nothing better to do.

Shiroi should learn some more english.
"Can I confirm that we are talking about Japanese anime dubbed into Romanian? "
Its "Can you " !

I am Talking about Japanese Animes dubbed in romanian, like the following:

Kashi no Ki Mokku
Peter Pan no Bōken
Ningyo Hime Marina no Bōken
The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee

And so on.. Romania hasn't produced Animes.
Only cartoons and that is ages ago. I dont even know them, nor i am interested in them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:
I do not have a list of the voices, and i am not sure if there is any, on the internet. What i can be sure of, is the titles.

Well, I've seen users "smuggling in" titles in unlisted languages. While that's not encouraged, few people would bother reporting it as "errors" either. I'll keep an eye on those four titles you mentioned though. Wink

TheKiller92 wrote:
Shiroi should learn some more english.
This.

Take a look at where he comes from (sigh).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know. "Can I confirm [with you]" and "Can you confirm [to me]" are interchangeable.

I requested confirmation since you said "Romanian Animes" and people do use terms like "Korean Anime" or "American Anime" to refer to animation from those countries, like Spheres and Avatar, whereas this site uses "anime" to refer specifically to Japanese animation.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:
@Rhyono:
Uhhh...????
What are you saying there. I said it has better spam protection.

You are EXTREMELY Wrong. All it needs is to update the database, to that new phpbb3 db schema/structure.

Here are a few links with the steps on how to perform the upgrade.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install&version=3#convert
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpbb3/phpbb2_to_phpbb3.htm

The forum owner managed to integrate the site with phpbb2.
He seems to know what he's doing, and he should be able to do the same thing on phpbb3 Smile

Since you've already said you don't understand what I was saying, I'll re-phrase it:

ANN's phpBB2 DB (not all phpBB2 DBs) is most-likely heavily modded, making it have many differences from phpBB3's.

Dessa has already done an excellent job of stressing my point (whom you appear to have ignored entirely), so I don't believe any amount of reiteration will explain to you that the time and effort required to update to phpBB3 outweighs the benefits.
Dragosvr92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
@dormcat:
Here is some data that i have gathered from the internet.

Code:

http://anime#1408
Title: Peter Pan (Romanian)
Broadcaster: FoxKids(Romania)
Distributor: Saban International
Dubbing Studio: MediaVision

http://anime#1408
Title: Pinocchio (Romanian)
Voices: Andreea Măcelaru Șofron as Blue Fairy.

http://anime#1388
Title: Căpsunica (Romanian)
(Dont remember if this was dubbed.)

http://anime#1741
Albinuța Hutch (Romanian)
(Dont remember if this was dubbed.)

http://anime#1708
Aventurile Micii Sirene Marina (Romanian)

http://animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-05-07/powerpuff-girls-aya-hirano-team-up-for-song
Fetițele Powerpuff (Romanian)
Voices:
Dora Ortelecan Dumitrescu as Blossom
Adrian Ciglenean as Professor Utonium
Petre Lupu as The mayor
Source: http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feti%C8%9Bele_Powerpuff

All the dubbing was made by Mediavision, ages ago.
This is their site: http://www.mediavision.ro/

As Saban has collaborated with Foxkids, and all this antique Animes have Saban International at their end, i specified them as the Distributors.

@Shiroi Hane:
Well you should have chosen the second/you option, to avoid confussion. I thought you knew about them, and you were confirming that they are Japanese animes.

@Rhyono:
Thats not important. Only the needed data will be converted, unless th convertor is modified to convert more stuff over.
Anyways.... i doubt debating about the upgrade will be a success, so we should better end this. Smile

I cannot remember if there are any other Dubbed animes. We have more dubbed cartoons, not animes.

The Titles above are not broadcasted on tv anylonger, for a lot of years. They released just a couple episodes on DVDs, but they arent easy to find.

I am not entirely sure if i can post streaming links... but here are the dubbed animes:

If i am not allowed, please edit the post and remove the links. Aplologizes.

PS: The voices are a bit crappy. The encoder did a lame job.
There arent any other versions of the episodes i could find over the internet.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
TheKiller92 wrote:
Thats not important. Only the needed data will be converted, unless th convertor is modified to convert more stuff over.

What part of these forums are heavily modified with custom modifications that would have to be re-coded from scratch, and CANNOT function for the website without them do you not understand?
Dragosvr92

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
TheKiller92 wrote:

What part of these forums are heavily modified with custom modifications that would have to be re-coded from scratch, and CANNOT function for the website without them do you not understand?

First.. when have i said that i dont understand that? They can be written from scratch, no biggy.

What part of this cant YOU understand?
Quote:
Anyways.... i doubt debating about the upgrade will be a success, so we should better end this. Smile

You could/should have read and moved further, to another topic, other than acting like a smart arse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2