• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Berserk

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe once I finish The Wire, I'll have built up enough of a tolerance to all this to be able to read Berserk. Hope so; the acclaim seems nigh unanimous.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
After about half way through the article, I had to do it: I read the rest of the article with some of Susumu Hirasawa's amazing music from the TV series playing in the background. I must say that doing so actually made the article all the more awesome.

In regards to the whole "Gattsu" thing, though, I think part of the reason why so many fans still use that name also has to do with the fact that the English dub for the Berserk game for the Dreamcast, which was an unintrusive side-story that could actually be considered canon, had everyone call Guts "Gattsu". Since the game came over here before the anime or the manga did, it was likely the first time most fans experienced Berserk, so that naming just stuck with them.

Anyway, excellent article, Jason.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Awesome manga indeed, although the last couple of volumes at sea have been a tad disappointing.

At the rate it's going though, we'll all be old men before Miura finishes the story. Sometimes I wonder if he even has an end in sight, or is just happy to have Berserk as his only work for as long as he lives.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope I'll live to see the ending and find out.

While 46 is not old, with his output rate, I would love it if Miura started to wrap things up. I only say that because I love the story and want to know how it ends.
bleakessence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Just reading the spoilers both excites and exhausts me about the prospect of starting to read/follow Berserk. The rape themes of Berserk are unsettling enough, but it's the lack of a visible ending in sight that really put me off.

The last thing I'd want to do is emotionally invest in an epic only to find the author dying out or the series ending abruptly because of burnout (Guin Saga and 12 Kingdoms, sigh Crying or Very sad )
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
bleakessence wrote:
(...) t it's the lack of a visible ending in sight that really put me off.

The last thing I'd want to do is emotionally invest in an epic only to find the author dying out or the series ending abruptly because of burnout (Guin Saga and 12 Kingdoms, sigh Crying or Very sad )

Pretty much my take on this Sad

I'd love to read Berserk, but it's not complete (and maybe never will).

The good thing is, that after a bit of reading around, it seems everyone agrees Berserk was awesome, and the last volumes aren't that good. So, I could already read the best part and wait for the not-so-exciting latter bits to come to and end. It wouldn't be my first series that isn't complete yet (Ikkitousen, I'm looking at you Razz)
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
He can finish it, as soon as he stops playing Idolm@ster. He freaking loves that game.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I love Berserk it's a great series. The volumes after he attains his Berserk armor did go on a steady downturn and became over the top even for my liking (And I love Hanma Baki). But with Gut's and crew finally getting to the Elf Island there is hope things will only get better.

On a side note my friend only reads North American Comics and the only manga I could ever get him into or to continue to collect was Berserk and Hellsing.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
bleakessence wrote:
Just reading the spoilers both excites and exhausts me about the prospect of starting to read/follow Berserk. The rape themes of Berserk are unsettling enough, but it's the lack of a visible ending in sight that really put me off.

As a manga/anime fan of 25+ years, believe me, I know where you're coming from. That said, Berserk is honestly one of the best things I've ever read. Even though an ending wouldn't likely happen for another 5+ years (and I'm being very liberal with that figure), the story truly is genius. And quite frankly, I'm sick of the "Golden Arc" fans hemming and hawing about how the story just isn't as good anymore. Miura said what he had to say about the Golden Arc and didn't linger. I for one am captivated and truly enjoy his fairy tale spin. The story is not stagnant. I appreciate that.

Also, even though the "framing arc" story may or may not conclude, there are lots of "mini-stories" that do resolve (beautifully).

It's totally cliche to say, but even if Berserk doesn't end, the journey is well worth it.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Then again, Guts' and Griffith's rape scenes are only implied or briefly depicted, while Casca's rape scene is drawn out over 30 pages of excruciating detail.

Well, in Miura's defense, Guts was a child at the time his occurred, so maybe that made him hesitate to go into as much detail. But regardless of reasons why, the depiction and treatment of women in Berserk does definitely make me uncomfortable at times. It's a shame, as Berserks's a very well done series, but one I simply could never recommend it to any of my family/friends because of the content.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
To be honest,I'm glad I didn't read this manga.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Now I know what I'm in for with the film trilogy, whenever Viz brings it over here. I wonder if they somewhat tone down the rape/violence (I know there are those sword-hacking battle scenes but I'm talking about the real gratuitous gore), like they did with the Gantz film adaptation.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can theoretically accept that cute, moe, little witches might exist in the same universe where trolls rape women in a conga line and then explosively deliver mutant troll babies, but it's pretty gratuitous and exploitative and makes me want to eat my words about how it's all there because it serves a purpose in the story.

Quite a few fantasy hentai have cases of such things (that I've unfortunately come across).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
No current Berserk thread is complete without http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTmvxksq0pc.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I think those of you opting not to read Berserk because it's not complete are still missing out on one of the most satisfying fantasy stories in existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3