• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kurenai Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show it is another great series by brians base. besides the lack of the OVAs which is not the series falut, the series has one major problem and you kinda hit on it. the ending is a surprise to be sure but that is because one character almost starts acting out of character, though the truly horrible part of it happens in what almost comes out as an after thought which should have been left as just that. though since the ending is anime original...unless the manga writes an orignal ending then the series will never get a believable ending since the author of the light novels seems to have decided to do an Ai Yazawa and decided not to end the series.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
actually it's a good thing the ova's where not included in this bundle, the quailty drop in animation with chops and just.. ughhhh =_=

On the review it's self yeah I really couldn't have said it better myself i am so happy this show got picked up even for DVD sub only release it is still by far on of the best animated shows from 2008. The overall quailty, music, story/plot and characters made this show feel so damn good to watch and is a reason why I'm happy to be an anime fan. I'm also happy this series had the balls to touch on issue that most anime only joke about in japan that still goes on..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Really happy that Kurenai got brought over. It's a stellar show and the banter between Murasaki and Shinkuro is some of the funniest and heartfelt. Personally, I liked the ending. I'm not a fan when a series spoiler[does all sorts of logical backflips and poor writing just to force a happy ending. I thought that Murasaki's naivety about how she could change the Inner Cloister and the Kuhouin family traditions] just show how much of a kid she really is.

I'm hoping this does better than Sentai expects so there's a chance that they can bring over Denpa Teki na Kanojo, a short OVA also done by Brains Base that was written by the same guy as the Kurenai light novels. Although it is quite a bit more sinister than Kurenai.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Really happy that Kurenai got brought over. It's a stellar show and the banter between Murasaki and Shinkuro is some of the funniest and heartfelt. Personally, I liked the ending. I'm not a fan when a series spoiler[does all sorts of logical backflips and poor writing just to force a happy ending. I thought that Murasaki's naivety about how she could change the Inner Cloister and the Kuhouin family traditions] just show how much of a kid she really is.

I'm hoping this does better than Sentai expects so there's a chance that they can bring over Denpa Teki na Kanojo, a short OVA also done by Brains Base that was written by the same guy as the Kurenai light novels. Although it is quite a bit more sinister than Kurenai.

I would agree with you expect murasaki is not the one I had a major problem with. it was her father, maybe I missed something major, but spoiler[the guy flip flops from being the driving force that is keeping those traditions to having her sitting on his lap asking her about her "adventure" after he said he was still going to try and make her into the next bride for the family.] My BS meter went off the chart with that little scene
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
I hadn't heard about this series before, but it sounds like it's right up my alley. (And I'm getting to be a pretty big fan of Brain's Base as a studio. Anime smile)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I would agree with you expect murasaki is not the one I had a major problem with. it was her father, maybe I missed something major, but spoiler[the guy flip flops from being the driving force that is keeping those traditions to having her sitting on his lap asking her about her "adventure" after he said he was still going to try and make her into the next bride for the family.] My BS meter went off the chart with that little scene

I know what you mean that feeling was just. yeah but it was nice to murasaki's mother.. spoiler[maybe kurenai will one day return to get murasaki], the ending was left open for us to interpret endlessly. I can't help it.. I just love this series so much ever fiber of my being goes this is what drama/slice of life anime is meant to be like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
I am suprised by the reaction, but then again on this site it happens all too often. The tv series was okay, but is generally disliked greatly by fans of the manga, and they completely changed the art style. On the flip side, the OVA is generally praised because , the quality went up not down, and the characters actually look like their manga counterparts.

Its just a shame companies cant use a little patience and let stories come to close before developing really bad anime only endings.

That said, ill probably buy this one anyway because a mediocre translation of a good work is still pretty decent.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
It shouldn't be surprising at all. For the most part from what I've seen, the Kurenai TV anime is preferred over the manga as far as the two adaptations of the light novels go.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Hated Kure-nai (rated it as Weak), and for good reason. In fact there were multiple reasons, here are a few in ascending order of how much they annoyed me:

#1): The family were so disgustingly gross I couldn't even see them as evil, just a bunch of weirdoes.

#2): The boy should never have been played by a woman. Never.

#3): His power was really daft. Not adequately explained, too useless (doesn't protect him and he turns into a spoiler[super-slow robot]), and he seems stupidly hesitant to use it even when he has to. Maybe if the show had sufficiently explored why he didn't want to (even when he and others were in grave danger) it might have been okay. But it didn't.

#4): His employer was really stupid. She allows such an important case and the life of a young girl to rest on a sixteen-year-old boy who has no real skills, not even in his line of work. And what was he doing being a bodyguard-cum-thug-cum-mediator at such a young age? Anyway, any time the sensible female bodyguard questioned her boss the boss would respond with a smile and say that she believed in him. Huh. Who is the bigger incompetent; the idiot teenage boy or the person who hires him?

#5): This is the big one and the one that caused me to drop the show after nine episodes. spoiler[The boy decides that in order to give the young girl a chance for proper goodbyes he lets her go back to the apartment which the bad guys know about and are closing in on. She gets kidnapped, he gets beaten to a pulp and the sensible bodyguard (who had protested against his stupid decision to her incompetent boss to no avail) gets beaten as well. There have been plenty of moronic decisions made by characters in the history of Anime but that ranks up there pretty high. As soon as I saw it I was done with this turd. The bad guys didn't even have the sense to kill the people who knew the dirty family secrets, which just adds to the steaming pile.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Ohh, I saw that one it was surprisingly good. Both visually and story wise. It did feel cut off and I wouldn't mind seeing that one developed into a longer series.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hated Kure-nai (rated it as Weak), and for good reason. In fact there were multiple reasons, here are a few in ascending order of how much they annoyed me:

#1): The family were so disgustingly gross I couldn't even see them as evil, just a bunch of weirdoes.

#2): The boy should never have been played by a woman. Never.

#3): His power was really daft. Not adequately explained, too useless (doesn't protect him and he turns into a spoiler[super-slow robot]), and he seems stupidly hesitant to use it even when he has to. Maybe if the show had sufficiently explored why he didn't want to (even when he and others were in grave danger) it might have been okay. But it didn't.

#4): His employer was really stupid. She allows such an important case and the life of a young girl to rest on a sixteen-year-old boy who has no real skills, not even in his line of work. And what was he doing being a bodyguard-cum-thug-cum-mediator at such a young age? Anyway, any time the sensible female bodyguard questioned her boss the boss would respond with a smile and say that she believed in him. Huh. Who is the bigger incompetent; the idiot teenage boy or the person who hires him?

#5): This is the big one and the one that caused me to drop the show after nine episodes. spoiler[The boy decides that in order to give the young girl a chance for proper goodbyes he lets her go back to the apartment which the bad guys know about and are closing in on. She gets kidnapped, he gets beaten to a pulp and the sensible bodyguard (who had protested against his stupid decision to her incompetent boss to no avail) gets beaten as well. There have been plenty of moronic decisions made by characters in the history of Anime but that ranks up there pretty high. As soon as I saw it I was done with this turd. The bad guys didn't even have the sense to kill the people who knew the dirty family secrets, which just adds to the steaming pile.]

Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Think you need to go back and watch that last episode again. I've seen the series twice now, more than three years apart, and didn't get that reaction either time. Look again at what I said in the review about the father's seeming motivations and consider that when looking at spoiler[the final scene with him and Murasaki together. He didn't flip-flop at all; by allowing Murasaki the opportunity to resist he's giving her a chance to try to alter the system while still protecting the family.] It's entirely in line with how his character has been built all series, so there's nothing BS about it.

CrownKlown: As has already been pointed out, do remember that the original version of the content is in light novel form, not manga form. Thus what matters is how accurate the anime is to the novels, as the manga is also but an interpretation. Besides, the anime probably started production about the same time as the manga version started coming out, so there's no way that the anime could be based on the manga anyway. I haven't read either of the other versions, but based on spoilers I have read about the manga, I like the character interpretations in the anime better.

And dtm42: All I'll say is that you seemed to not be paying attention at all on your points #3 and #4 because both were explained, and pretty clearly, too. Maybe those explanations didn't happen in full until after you stopped watching the series; I don't remember exactly when they came up. But they did happen. You have a more legitimate complaint about #5, which is the one place where I though the series failed. But for me that was a "drop it to an A- from an A" situation, not a "stop watching the series completely" call.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Hey Cecilthedarkknight_234, thank you for showing me that picture, I think I'll download it. I could certainly use a picture like that.

Key, I watched nine episodes and #3 and #4 weren't even close to being sufficiently explained and justified. If the explanations were done in the last few episodes, well fine, I just hope they were convincing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Ohh, I saw that one it was surprisingly good. Both visually and story wise. It did feel cut off and I wouldn't mind seeing that one developed into a longer series.

It's only three novels long, and they decided not to adapt the second one. I hear because it's really weak compared to the others; but that's it, no more. On a whole, I do prefer that OVA over Kurenai for the visuals, the characters, and the presentation. It's one beautifully brutal anime, and probably the best surprise of 2009. Hell, it might even make my top 20 for that decade. I hope it's licensed some day, but only if it meant a guaranteed BluRay.

dtm42 wrote:

This isn't Taken. spoiler[Dude knows when he's lost and when any further pursuit is a lost cause. He and the others realize that some things simply are too large for you to take on. I admired that kind of downer ending, it takes balls to do that in anime when they absolutely adore shoehorned happy ends.]
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 hates everything, what else is new Smile

I really enjoyed Kure-nai. Sure the animation style is a little wonky, but I love how fluid and lifelike the motions of the characters are. Aoi Yuuki did a great job as Murasaki as well (which should be a familiar current name to people, if they follow seiyuu at all).

As I understand it, the story continues on past the anime, so I really should try finding out how the rest of it goes. How far does the manga cover of the light novels? My kanji isn't really up to reading through something seinen like Kure-nai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4