• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Oshii Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, Oshii is a closet Thunderbirds fan? (Hint, Supermarination.)

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
"Superlivemation"? From everything I've read here, it sounds like nothing new. Wasn't this pretty much done in Ralph Bashki's Lord of the Rings in 1978? I'm really just tired of hearing about Oshii. All he seems to want to do is plug quotes of William Blake and Dante into his character's mouths. He's become self-absorbed and is no longer creating work for others to appreciate. And of course, he's got to put his dog in there! Very Happy Art must not only make you think, it must also keep your interest! I thought Innocence was dull. And so did most people, because it bombed at the theater. Oshii is kinda like the anime equivalent of Stanley Kubrick. Except Kubrick made a few masterpieces. I didn't really find the original Ghost in the Shell film anything special. SAC is miles above in quality and plot. just like Mark Twain, I know I'm SUPPOSED to think he's a genius, but I've never found any merit in his work. But I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll look up the old Yatsura series. As for the limits of 2d animation... So what? I mean where can it go from here? Actually, there is a new theater opened here in the city that has a new "4d" screen, that also includes smells, wind, vibration, etc for a whole new experience. I am not being funny. It's true. I guess that's one of the strengths and weaknesses of humankind. We always have to go for something more. We can't be satisfied with traditional 2d animation. Why not? it seems like then they could just focus on writing good shows instead of the technical aspects. It's too bad Andy Warhol is dead. They could have got together with Albert Camus and written, painted, and animated art into nothingness.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, dumb question, but is Oshii-san's latest going to be comprehensible this time? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Ignoring any technical definitions of the word "animation" I definitely think that some sort of drawing, be it digital or by, hand, is required before I call something "animation," "cartoon," or "anime."

Why, exactly? Calling something "animation" seems to emphasize the idea of movement, rather than the idea of something drawn. Otherwise they'd call them "drawn films" rather than "animated films". (I know you said to ignore technical definitions of the word, but it's not really a technical definition -- it's just what the word obviously connotes to me, and presumably to everybody else who calls Nightmare Before Christmas animation.)

tempest wrote:
Personally, I don't consider stop-motion productions (Puppet productions like Fuccons or Team America and claymation) to be animation (although it is called stop-motion animation).

3D computer modelling is a lot more akin to sculpting than it is to drawing; it's just that the sculptures created are in "virtual" space rather than real space. Which would make 3D animation more closely related to claymation than to drawn 2D animation. So Finding Nemo, Shrek, Advent Children -- these aren't animation?
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
"Superlivemation"? From everything I've read here, it sounds like nothing new. Wasn't this pretty much done in Ralph Bashki's Lord of the Rings in 1978?

Bakshi used rotoscope. I think this sound more like what Terry Gilliam used to do, stop motion using cut outs of pictures, paintings, etc.

Brian, do you know if it has anything to do with Red Spectacles? When did the novel come out? It wasn't a very big part of the movie.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
He's become self-absorbed and is no longer creating work for others to appreciate.

Uhh... I've thoroughly enjoyed INNOCENCE, so there.

--------------------------

Anyway, I'm not sure about this...

I didn't really like AVALON *didn't really finish it either*

... but... you can never be too sure... I should at least look into this
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Brian, do you know if it has anything to do with Red Spectacles? When did the novel come out? It wasn't a very big part of the movie.
I'm pretty sure that the novel and upcoming film don't have anything to do with the world of The Red Spectacles, although I'm not positive. The novel came out in February 2004, so it's pretty recent. I haven't actually read it yet, but it's on my list of things to tackle once this semester is finally over.
Tondog38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rather, the movie will be what Oshii calls "superlivemation," a mixture of photography, animation and digital puppetry.

So basically it's going to be done like Tom Goes To The Mayor.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:
Quote:
Rather, the movie will be what Oshii calls "superlivemation," a mixture of photography, animation and digital puppetry.

So basically it's going to be done like Tom Goes To The Mayor.

As long as it doesn't suck... which probably won't be a hard thing if it's being compared to TGTTM... it's probably going to be cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2