• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maoyū Maō Yūsha Fantasy Novels Inspire TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
The artstyle of that picture looks extremely fimiliar...Huke? or no
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
THIS! This is worth my thousandth post! I am glad to be wasting it on this!

I have been following this series ever since I've stumbled upon it one day. Several manga adaptations have been made, and I like each of them. It's pretty much Spice and Wolf, only with macroeconomics, but it's so enthralling at the same time. I may have missed out on getting a Shina Dark anime, but I won't miss out on this!

I look forward to seeing the art they choose to represent this story, and actors portraying each character. I'll also be looking forward to pestering the shit out of Crunchyroll to put this on there.

*reading Pony Canyon's credit list* Okay, that will do nicely.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
The artstyle of that picture looks extremely fimiliar...Huke? or no

A quick search yields Asami You as the artist. The eyes of the girl definitely gives off a Huke vibe though, but that's probably due to the smallness of the picture.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Finally!

I've been reading the manga for a little while and I watched the few translated motion story videos on youtube. It's a great story and it'll work really well animated.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
It's pretty much Spice and Wolf, only with macroeconomics, but it's so enthralling at the same time.

Now there's a selling tagline! Surprised

It makes you wonder who's going to animate this.
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
It's pretty much Spice and Wolf, only with macroeconomics, but it's so enthralling at the same time.

It makes you wonder who's going to animate this.

Also with war politics, lessons of humanity, very likeable characters and sweet, vanilla cream romance on the top. I just hope that the adaptation won't fail. Come on, Japanese!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
hmm color me interested....I have always loved the fantasy setting for books, manga and anime and this seems to be doing a little something different, well on wars anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This has my interest right now so I'll keep an eye on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Dragon Quest getting an anime already?
Tis a good year to be alive
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

I'll say! This seems like it could be very clever, perhaps even a touch provocative. I like 'double-acts' and this has more ambition the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
For those who can read Japanese, the original web-published stories are readily available online. The novels expand on the work presented here, but it all began with a series of posts to 2ch, which I find to be incredible. (OTOH, this isn't the first success story of something posted to 2ch; see, for example, Train Man)

If you don't speak Japanese, there's a partially-translated fan-animated featurette that gets through the first few web posts. The English translations stop early on, but even if you don't speak Japanese you can get a sense of the world with the pictures, sound effects and BGM.

.. And then there's a Maid Radio Podcast that ran for a dozen episodes (also Japanese only) with interviews with the drama cast members and banter about the Maoyuu world in general.

One interesting thing about Maoyuu is the style of writing; it's almost entirely dialogue. There's no descriptions of scenery, and only the occasional sound or inner monologue. Further, it's presented in a style not unlike that of a theatrical play (or an early computer RPG, perhaps)...

Quote:

Even more than that; Ami Koshimizu (Holo) provided the voice of Maou and Jun Fukuyama (Lawrence) provided the voice of the Hero in the dramas. With the sort of rapport they seem to have, I hope that they reprise their roles in the anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Quote:

Even more than that; Ami Koshimizu (Holo) provided the voice of Maou and Jun Fukuyama (Lawrence) provided the voice of the Hero in the dramas. With the sort of rapport they seem to have, I hope that they reprise their roles in the anime.

Ah, you beat me. Wink

Long time no see, Cookie! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
How funny, I was just talking about Spice and Wolf the other day so someone recommended a manga adaptation of this to me and, while I thought it was interesting, I thought that it was the kind of thing that would never get an anime. And wow that art style is, um, different from the manga version I was reading, clearly all the fanservice was manga-original...
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Not entirely sure which Manga is the legit one, hopefully the one I'm reading.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I may like this as an anime viewer (will have to see when it's out) but the concept bothers me as it's stated.

War can't be justified by saying it keeps civil war away. It sounds like something a totalitarian state would claim to keep people in line.

Then the reference in this thread to "macroeconomics" makes me think that there may be some underlying Keynesianism afoot here, which of course is one of my greatest foes.

This one might be interesting to pick apart than to take as is for me.

The thing I like about Spice & Wolf is that it actually has kind of an anti-state (or anti-church but same thing in that world) bent to it. It's also a bit pro-market I think. I've had this notion of writing an article about Spice & Wolf from an Austrian perspective for awhile.

The series doesn't necessarily handle the explanations 100% properly, but at the core especially in the first season there is some good material in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3