• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Mayo Chiki! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vega427

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It's about damn time. Will be buying this one. Dubbed would be better, but whatever......
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Sentai's releasing Mayo Chiki: I'm not surprised.
Mayo Chiki's not dubbed: Again with the unsurprise.
Sentai continues with their practice of either releasing shows undubbed which I don't buy or dubbing shows I'd sooner not touch.

It's personal, it just seems they hate me for some reason. On a unrelated note, Anime Network VOD has just finished its fourth run of Angel Beats, in the middle of their second running of Needless and has just started its fourth run of Highschool of the Dead.

Come on, Funimation. Don't let me down.

Rule of thumb buy the sub only dvd's to show a huge focus that you want to see this series on bluray or with a dub. Mayo-chiki already has a translated script from the r4 licnese so it's much cheaper to use that, change the region and re-encode using that script than hire va's to dub roles. If you show support that you want to see it dubbed then it will be. It happened with clannad because enough people showed support for the franchise, ever bit helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't buying sub-only shows also show that people want more, you know, sub-only shows? I don't see how buying those translates into "I want a dubbed BluRay" unless you e-mail them after every purchase. Maybe it'll help that particular anime get a dubbed rerelease on BluRay, but it wouldn't suddenly mean another show should get that treatment initially.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Couldn't buying sub-only shows also show that people want more, you know, sub-only shows? I don't see how buying those translates into "I want a dubbed BluRay" unless you e-mail them after every purchase. Maybe it'll help that particular anime get a dubbed rerelease on BluRay, but it wouldn't suddenly mean another show should get that treatment initially.

yes but buying the shows, streaming them showing any legal support at all helps out and gathers more revenue for that series/support. Sentai is not nisa with doing sub only releases, sentai is only banking on shows they know that will make them profit. You want to prove them that the show can do well.. then let your wallet do the talking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That could be somewhat true, but Sentai has a track history of going back and dubbing shows that have done well. If the show bombs on sub-only DVD however, it pretty much proves to them that they were right to be cautious about dubbing it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
That could be somewhat true, but Sentai has a track history of going back and dubbing shows that have done well. If the show bombs on sub-only DVD however, it pretty much proves to them that they were right to be cautious about dubbing it.

But can you rely on customers consistently double dipping for shows? "You can buy it now because it's sub only and cheap in the hopes that it sells well and gets dubbed later, so you can buy it again!" I'm not a double-dipper, I'm going to buy only once.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

But can you rely on customers consistently double dipping for shows? "You can buy it now because it's sub only and cheap in the hopes that it sells well and gets dubbed later, so you can buy it again!" I'm not a double-dipper, I'm going to buy only once.

They don't, and they've admitted as much. They've even said that they don't like to to back and dub series for that reason, but they still consider it for very strong titles or shows that have been picked up in other English speaking territories. No one expected everyone to double dip, but dubbing does open it up to more consumers who may cover the cost of the dub.

But the point is that they release a lot of subonly series and started out doing those exclusively (except for rescues that we're ready dubbed.). If strong sales of sub-only shows caused them to believe that fans wanted more of those, they would have stuck to that business model. Instead, they've been dubbing more and more shows, while only releasing more niche shows as subonly. They've also gone back and dubbed several shows that were initially released subonly, though they've only done it once in more recent times (Princess Ressurection.). The facts seem to show that they don't share your thinking on the matter.
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
I am happy with this. Generally Sentai does Harem very well. FUNI mation would've fucked it up. I often don't have any expectations with Sentai and they often surprise me. I am looking forward to who voices Bunny-chan & Kanade
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Will be getting this one. Good job Sentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3