• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unreleased FUNimation Licenses Update Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Kitnene wrote:
Heritage title from Animazement? I think from what I remember last week was them announcing bringing the vast majority of Tenchi back. I know the three main series as well as I believe a couple OVAs. I didn't personally take notes in the panel and they were having major technical difficulties with the computer that's all I can recall at the moment.

I think Japantor said that they are going to start having the the two Tenchi OVA's (the ones they got from Geneon), the movies and the TV series start going up on their streaming site on June 15.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Suckage. I'm dying to know what that title is. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though ... Funi seems to only use a handful of cons to announce their licenses - the main one being AnimeExpo, of course.

Don't worry, my backward friend from the North, I shall be attending Anime Expo, so I will find out what surprises FUNImation has in store for us when I go to their panel. Leave it up to us superior Americans to keep our backwards neighbors to the north informed as to what's happening in our superior region.

Anime smile Wink

I fully support you as our representative.

Edit: So I suppose there were no announcements at A-Kon yesterday.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
via ad on Right Stuf Catalog: 2012 Issue #2 (page 35)
Quote:
Hellsing Ultimate
10/16/12
$59.98

It will be interesting to see how much is included with this release.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Kitnene wrote:
Heritage title from Animazement? I think from what I remember last week was them announcing bringing the vast majority of Tenchi back. I know the three main series as well as I believe a couple OVAs. I didn't personally take notes in the panel and they were having major technical difficulties with the computer that's all I can recall at the moment.

I think Japantor said that they are going to start having the the two Tenchi OVA's (the ones they got from Geneon), the movies and the TV series start going up on their streaming site on June 15.

It does look like Japan put out a Blu-ray of the original series (but not the TV versions) so hopefully they can release a BD here as well. I can hope. My thriftiness might prevent me from double dipping otherwise. I should probably get a proper release of Tenchi Universe in any format though, my set is either a HK release or a bootleg. It's excellent quality but it still might not be legit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
For the curious (link), the answer to the "Pretty Sweet"..."5 Years" license question is Michiko & Hatchin.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
via ad on Right Stuf Catalog: 2012 Issue #2 (page 35)
Quote:
Hellsing Ultimate
10/16/12
$59.98

It will be interesting to see how much is included with this release.

Do they only have Hellsing Ultimate or did Funi pick up the non-ultimate version, as well?
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
They also have the Hellsing TV series, and are streaming it on their site as well.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
They also have the Hellsing TV series, and are streaming it on their site as well.

Oh yay, more Freeman. I didn't much like Hellsing, but Freeman's voice made it worth it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:

I know the TV seres isn't that good in its entirity but everything up to the Valentine Brothers invasion and the second Alucard/Anderson meeting was golden. That's about the first two OVAs or so and I didn't like the changes the OVAs made to those parts; "You don't fight a vampire priest out in a field, you fight him in a church!" sort of things.

10 years since I saw Hellsing. 5 years since the OVAs; I'm not sure if I should ignore them or preorder them.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the Hellsing Ultimate sets (or speaking of it now Smile), I talked to Justin Rojas at the FUNimation booth, and while he wasn't able to say for 100%, he did say it's probably pretty unlikely that they'll keep with the steelbook limited edition releases like Geneon was doing due to costs. So, I'm going to just assume that the steelbooks are no more and if FUNimation surprises me, great, if not then it was expected.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Speaking of the Hellsing Ultimate sets (or speaking of it now Smile), I talked to Justin Rojas at the FUNimation booth, and while he wasn't able to say for 100%, he did say it's probably pretty unlikely that they'll keep with the steelbook limited edition releases like Geneon was doing due to costs. So, I'm going to just assume that the steelbooks are no more and if FUNimation surprises me, great, if not then it was expected.

Yeah, I seriously doubted that they were going to continue that.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Probably soon to be added to the unreleased list...Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari)

The Tenchiverse forum link is now leading to this URL: http://www.funimation.com/tenchi-muyo-war-on-geminar/forum. It notes the page as Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar with a series banner.

I guess it's just a matter of time before this is formally announced (maybe Otakon). And here is a screencap of the top of the series forum page if it gets taken down.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Nice find on the Tenchi spin-off!
Was wondering why Funimation never said anything about getting it though (unless I missed it).

Wonder if they will use the GXP dub voices or go with totally new ones?

Do they also have Magical Project S (Pretty Sammy TV)?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Probably soon to be added to the unreleased list...Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari)

1 Most excellent news as the fact that it already has a retitle should mean it has a great chance of a "sudden" release. It's a great series I was worried escaped everyone's attention.

2 They changed the title from blandness to blandness. Wouldn't Kenshi Muyo! have been acceptable, if somewhat derivative? On the other hand, calling it "Tenchi Muyo!" has its own problems.

EricDent wrote:

Wonder if they will use the GXP dub voices or go with totally new ones?

Not a chance and yes? I love the dub cast for GXP as there's some really great old school voices sprinkled throughtout it, in fact many of them were even old pros when the GXP dub was done ten years ago. The key word here is "old".

As this is the only Tenchi show without core Tenchi characters, it'd be easier, cheaper and more meaningful for Funimation to handle the dub in house. Seriously, they're picking up the whole franchise and even though they licensed two shows of it directly, very little beyond the script of the Funimation dubs sounds "Funimation-like".
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I don't mind having Funimation do the dub for it, they usually do really good stuff.

BTW until I read who played Washu in Sasami Magical Girls Club, I swear it was the original dub actress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 20