• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Ristorante Paradiso, Hyakko, Aoi Hana 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
TRSI's licensing companies never put out anything I was interested in, but they scored two wins in my book with Aoi Hana and Hyakko. I wish they were Nozomi though. I saw these and loved them both and wouldn't mind them coming out in a release that doesn't sound like it's gonna be SAVE quality or worse. ...

For Aoi Hana, the Japanese release was just the episodes, on singles, no box set, no extras ~ RightStuf would not have much to work with to put out their normal Nozomi release at their normal Nozomi price point ~ which I've paid for Maria-sama ga Miteru and for Utena. Between not having it at all, and having it in a budget box set, I'll take it and be happy to do so.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Will buy both Hyakko and Aoi Hana, day one. It's astonishing that those two shows remained unlicenced for years, but I'm so gld that Rightstuf finally decided to pick them up! Perfect fit for them, in both cases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Will be getting Aoi Hana for sure. I thought Hyakko was decent, but I won't be shelling any cash'ola for that one. Not interested in Ristorante Paradiso.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
A budget line? I don't think our anime needs to get any cheaper than it already is. SAVE editions have brainwashed most of the folks in this region.

You have to start competing with cheap BD sets of American shows and the ease and convenience of streaming anime. I'm sure some shows like Madoka can do fine being premium releases, but most anime cannot manage that feat consistently.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Three shows at once for Right Stuf seems surprising. I guess they really want to test the viability of their new budget line of releases. In fairness, their higher-end releases are not really out of line at all price-wise for what you get so I wonder how much cheaper these will be. Considering there are a number of "overlooked" shows to choose from this could work well, though I doubt it will be a huge money-maker. With the overall economy still in the doldrums and DVD sales stagnating, they're trying to offer something for those fans who don't have huge amounts of money to spend on anime.

From the responses on this thread it looks like they chose well for their first 3 shows. Personally, the only one I've seen any of is Hyakko and I liked what I saw so I would probably buy that one. I hope this works out for them and also that they will continue to put out high-quality releases under the Nozomi imprint.
staab99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
staab99 wrote:
I'm glad that Ristorante Paradiso got licensed here, I would like to see Bartender rescued next.
Rescued from whom? Nobody's licensed it over here before.

Sorry I meant I hope they also license Bartender in the future! Sorry about that one! Embarassed
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Ristorante Paradiso - Pretty-Certain Buy

Hyakko - Insta-Buy

So very glad to see some love for Hyakko here, an excellent and very underrated series that's better than a lot of other "four high-school girls" series and possesses a surprising amount of depth, as well. I thought someone would take a chance at it someday just because of said genre, but I never really thought Ristorante Paradiso would ever get licensed, due to its overall style, look, and "younger woman/older man" romance. However, I'm quite happy to see Lucky Penny/RS give it a shot and release it. It, too, is a great, unique series, and one that I'll likely purchase this fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Hyakko was great fun. Aoi Hana, awesome yuri romance (too bad it ends right in the middle of some serious drama)

Thanks for that warning. I don't mind unmasked spoilers like this, because I've been burned by too many Anime series with lousy endings. By "lousy endings" I don't mean sad or tragic - I mean poorly written, without closure, ambiguous, what the f.... was that for????

Aoi Hana's headed for my "Bad Anime Endings" file.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
configspace wrote:
Hyakko was great fun. Aoi Hana, awesome yuri romance (too bad it ends right in the middle of some serious drama)

Thanks for that warning. I don't mind unmasked spoilers like this, because I've been burned by too many Anime series with lousy endings. By "lousy endings" I don't mean sad or tragic - I mean poorly written, without closure, ambiguous, what the f.... was that for????

Aoi Hana's headed for my "Bad Anime Endings" file.

It's not a bad ending though. It doesn't actually stop in the middle of a storyline, it ends right after it finishes one. It's inconclusive, but that often happens with adaptations of ongoing manga (the 7th volume comes out at the end of this month). And with what that storyline does, it would have been pretty much impossible to be more conclusive than it was.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's inconclusive, but that often happens with adaptations of ongoing manga (the 7th volume comes out at the end of this month).

That still falls into my category of "Bad Anime Endings". Given the publication of that Manga volume after the series ended, that only means that "inconclusive" isn't the result of writer incompetence and/or shoddy production and/or budget limitations. But "inconclusive" is what it is, regardless of the circumstances.

I'm sure it's a decent series up until that ending, or you wouldn't be speaking well of it the way you have been. If you're not bothered by such endings the way I am, that's great. I just happen to be one of those anal dopes who feels that an "inconclusive" ending (especially the way it was described, as taking place amid serious drama) wrecks the rest of the series, no matter how good the earlier episodes were.

This is probably getting a little too tangential for this thread. Sorry about that. However I was sincere when I thanked you for that warning. I came here because I was curious about the series, and in all likelihood I would have asked about the ending if I hadn't found your description.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Good things happen when I slip 'off the grid' for a day or two.

I'm really happy that Sweet Blue Flowers has been licensed. I love Wandering Son and have really wanted to see other works by or derived from the works of the same creator. I would have preferred a high-quality release with an English dub, but those days are largely gone, so I can't really complain. I'm not too much for more exploitative yuri, but something like this is just what I want.

I would be thrilled if some company were to license the original manga, but I won't hold my breath.

Between this and FUNIMation licensing Michiko e Hatchin, I'm a happy bastard.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
@AlanMintaka
It does provide some closure for one of the relationships spoiler[for the tall girl] like HitokiriShadow mentioned, but everything ends in a sad, bittersweet way and the drama as well as other revelations was just starting to ratchet up. I'd still recommend Aoi Hana, since the journey is nice, but I would agree in that you may be hesitant to avoid a frustrating ending, like way too many anime based on ongoing sources.

The anime was made with a second season in mind, and there was an ANN article where the producer stated frustratingly, that a second season is not coming because sales were poor
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
...but everything ends in a sad, bittersweet way and the drama as well as other revelations was just starting to ratchet up. I'd still recommend Aoi Hana, since the journey is nice, but I would agree in that you may be hesitant to avoid a frustrating ending, like way too many anime based on ongoing sources.

The anime was made with a second season in mind, and there was an ANN article where the producer stated frustratingly, that a second season is not coming because sales were poor

Hey Configspace,
Thanks for that additional info. I didn't look at your spoiler, but the way you further describe the finale as "everything ends in a sad, bittersweet way...." tells me what I need to know.

As you've pointed out, too many Anime series end in frustration for the viewer, though I wouldn't draw the line at those series based on ongoing sources. My anecdotal and subjective experience tells me that too many of these series end badly regardless of the progress of the source material.

But that's just me and my biased reaction to pain!

It was interesting to learn that the producer was also frustrated by not having the option to add some closure in a second season. In this case, at least, the frustration appears to have been somewhat even-handed.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
"high-quality and budget-friendly editions" is this some sort of bad joke?

I've been waiting to buy Hyakko for a while but I had thought sentai films was going to release and hopefully on bluray

knowing TRSI it will be on DVD and I will not be buying it
you want to call it lucky penny or budget friendly or awesomely priced go ahead - but if you are thinking about selling downscaled anime and calling it 'high quality' you need to stop that

unless you meant the box was going to be high quality
of course, they could start releasing blurays but they I doubt it would be a 'lucky penny' series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5