• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ray's Anatomy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Ray the Animation before and it's pretty underrated.

Anyways, regarding the collection..kinda hard to see the full details but that's a rather large collection Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Admittedly, this analysis deliberately misses the point of the show. Hidarmari Sketch isn't about reality.

That's right, you're supposed to just sit back and enjoy the wideface. There's another season coming this Fall, I hope Yuko Goto is well enough to give it her all for the chubby matronly crab.

UBW is a clipshow of that route of the VN, it won't make total sense and be a coherent work unto itself unless you're familiar with all of the between material left out. It's got some cool moments, but that's about all I can remember.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Extra love from me for enjoying a Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, which one though? The one with the jello faces and 90 minute run-time produced by 4Kids or the other one with the crossovers, gorgeous animation, and extra plotholes?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I really need to finish FATE on FSN and then do UBW (I dunno why they make you go through FATE before you can do UBW...I like Rin better anyway) so I can buy the movie. One of my friends (a big Otaku who knows Japanese and goes to Japan every year) showed me the last 10 minutes and it was AMAZING.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yet, and YET, even though this series is supposed to be relaxing, the lack of conflict actually makes me feel anxious. In this scant two episode OVA the girls clean their curtains, have a pajama party, and most significantly, visit an art museum.

Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a terrible introduction to the Fate/stay night franchise, and I would be totally lost if I hadn't seen half of the TV series first. Apparently the film is an alternate re-telling of the story from the visual novel and the TV series, and you need some familiarity with both for it to make sense. I think that's dirty pool. Transmedia is best when it stands alone and can be enriched by additional sources. As is, this is a movie based on a TV series I didn't like retelling a game I'll never play.

That's not quite accurate as to what the movie is.

To make things short, the original visual novel had three main routes, three points where the story would branch and go in completely different directions and have completely different endings. These routes were called "Fate," "Unlimited Blade Works," and "Heaven's Feel."

The movie is simply an adaption of the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel. It's not based on the tv series, and it's connection to it is that they are both based on different routes of the same visual novel. (The tv series is mostly based on the Fate route, though it throws in some stuff from the other routes and muddles things up with new material.)

If anyone wonders something like, "wait, if the Fate route was turned into a full 26 episode anime series, how can they fit the Unlimited Blade Works route into a single movie?" well, the answer is... they can't. Not well at least.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually really liked Ray the Animation. You don't see much medical Anime shows out there and I thought it was a pretty good watch (plus I was happy to see spoiler[Black Jack] make a cameo appearance in one of the episodes). I paid about $26 for my copy of this show and never felt that I wasted my money. But that is just me.

Splitter wrote:
Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.

I was going to say this too after reading her review but you beat me to it. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
While Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, as overall, is good, it kinda bothered me that this movie is a bit rushed to the end and that Archer's identity is kinda confusing.

The one scene that really bothered me the most is spoiler[the death of Illya]. :/
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's right, you're supposed to just sit back and enjoy the wideface.

Well said, sir.

Those faces are quite wide.

Splitter wrote:

But it's not a slice of real life...!

White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
Extra love from me for enjoying a Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, which one though? The one with the jello faces and 90 minute run-time produced by 4Kids or the other one with the crossovers, gorgeous animation, and extra plotholes?

I no longer remember. The first one? I saw it in a theater?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Then thats probably the 4Kids movie.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's right, you're supposed to just sit back and enjoy the wideface.

Well said, sir.

Those faces are quite wide.

Splitter wrote:

But it's not a slice of real life...!

White Lightning Alchemist wrote:

nope hidamari sketch is all about dem wide faces~ Do you think this set-up is wide enough??

Photobucket
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
We have to go wider.

Hidamari is one of those feel good healing anime, their lives are never rushed or stressful, and only sunshine and happiness occurs. It's akin to having a cranial massage much in the same vein as Aria and Sketchbook. It doesn't even care about consistency or flowing in chronological order. Perhaps if you want something close to our reality, Hyakko is the best middle ground. Those characters are exuberant and intelligent and the laughs hit much harder where Hidamari only aims to make you grin.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
(I dunno why they make you go through FATE before you can do UBW...I like Rin better anyway)

It actually does make some sense. Though the three routes are not chronological and instead represent different ways the same time period could unfold, they are still best viewed in the Fate/Unlimited Blade Works/Heaven's Feel order. One reason is that major plot reveals that make for dramatic scenes and big climaxes in certain routes are sometimes revealed in later routes in a manner that would be downright anti-climatic if you (the player) didn't already know about them. In addition, seeing the way Shirou's character develops in each route is very fascinating when you do them in the proper order, and I don't think his actions in Heaven's Feel would have had the same impact without having done Fate/Unlimited Blade Works first. Also, forcing the player to do the routes in a certain order means the game doesn't have force itself to fit in explanations of certain things that would be difficult to implement in the later routes without bogging down the story.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Tifa Lockhart: The Anime?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
If we are talking about this week's releases, AnoHana is Shelf Worthy in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4