• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can walw6pK4Alo be banned or warned or something?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but the F/Z novels [...] F/sn VN

Which should be discussed here.

Quote:
the F/sn anime

Which should be discussed here, here, here, or here.

You know how I'm interpreting all this dissension to my post? "But if you don't allow me to talk about the source material, I won't have anything to talk about at all." That's what I'm hearing, mainly because the people saying it are also..the..ones..who talk about other material in an anime discussion. I'm shocked people like that would disagree me. Honestly, if you don't have anything to say about the anime and all you have to say is about it in comparison, then you don't need to post. If you can't discuss Fate/Zero on the grounds of just the anime, then we're watching two different shows, because there's tons to talk about without bringing up other parts of the franchise. If the MGX thread can't possibly sustain itself without other people divulging plot twists and scenarios from the manga, then I say let it die.

We aren't in a book club reading the light novels, the manga, or the visual novel, we're watching the anime. That's the one thing everyone who is watching Fate/Zero, MGX, Medaka Box (a show who's thread I, personally, feel is the most egregious) or any other show has in common because not everyone has, or cares to, read the source material (funny how my baseless blanket statement contradicts Yttribio's baseless blanket statement). People go to anime discussion threads to talk about the anime with others who are watching as well. However, for some reason, people feel like talking about things that aren't the anime that everyone else is watching. No, they need to bring in outside material most people aren't familiar with and talk about how this is different, how this was skipped, what's going to happen (as in they know, or have a very good idea), or how disappointed they are in the adaptation. That bullshit has nothing to do with the anime that airs every week that everyone else is watching. Nothing. You know what involves the anime? What happened this episode, what happened previous episodes, what were in the previews for the next episode, what's your speculation based on what the anime has showed us. That's all there should be. If you want to talk about a franchise, then you talk about it in a another thread in whatever section you think it belongs, NOT in the thread focused on a single, particular part of a franchise; in this case, the anime.

Again, if you can't discuss the anime on the grounds of just the anime, then don't post. Why do you feel you need or that it's necessary to bring up other material other people aren't familiar with, nor care to familiarize with?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
When you discuss an anime weekly you talk about what has happened, how you feel about it, and what you predict will happen based on what the anime has presented you.

Emphasis mine.

As one who often reads these discussions, I will ensure everyone reading this these predictions often come without spoiler tags. To someone like me, who's not seen anything of the franchise, these are spoilers.

Realize this is not a complaint, but an observation. In my opinion, it makes no sense to complain about spoilers when the very elements of discussion are dedicated to predicting the outcome (and many end up in favor of the prediction).

The only satisfactory solution to this issue is to create a general discussion forum, with caveat there are spoilers (so tags will not be used), for those who do want to share their comparison viewpoints.

Once this forum is created, the rules are to be updated in dedicated forum any violation will result in moderation/ban based on the number of warnings issued.

Natural discussion will always include the comparison by parties who share the viewings/readings, and what may seem a spoiler to one may not be a spoiler to another, especially when they're intertwined among all the predictions.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why a rule against manga discussion would be any more effective than a rule against unspoilered/unlabeled manga discussion if the problem being faced is people who won't play nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
@dormcat - glad to hear you are onboard with respect to dealing with walw6pK4Alo. And I definitely wasn't try to stir up dissension among the admin/mods here: I was simply responding to a comment that you yourself made.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
...we're watching the anime. That's the one thing everyone who is watching Fate/Zero, MGX, Medaka Box (a show who's thread I, personally, feel is the most egregious) or any other show has in common...

The most egregious is actually the thread for Hunter X Hunter, which not only talks about what happened and what's coming up from the book but more often is dedicated to comparing it with the previous series. I'd say 95% of the thread is comparison to the manga, to the previous series, and talk about what comes next. The only reason to go there is for spoilers and comparison critiques.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

The most egregious is actually the thread for Hunter X Hunter, which not only talks about what happened and what's coming up from the book but more often is dedicated to comparing it with the previous series. I'd say 95% of the thread is comparison to the manga, to the previous series, and talk about what comes next. The only reason to go there is for spoilers and comparison critiques.

I think people are more willing to let it slide in that thread because it's a discussion of a remake so comparisons the original are inevitable. I still fail to see how forbidding discussion of source materials will make things better. Someone mentioned F/Z, which is a franchise. Everything in it thus links together so works well discussed together.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
To tell the truth, it's not much an issue with me, but I'll contribute to the discussion. I guess I don't know if we need a "ban" on manga talk as long as such discussion is labeled as such and spoilered.

And I mostly agree the HxH thread wouldn't get any discussion if you didn't allow its sizable and knowledgable fan base to talk about what came before and the years of unadapted material. After the fact I like to know about those small changes, But mostly, that thread can be a bit annoying, with people saying stuff like "I can't wait til the next arc."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think what irritates me the most about this behavior is that it isn't even being done in the hope of fostering decent discussion - it's yet another stupid pissing contest where someone wants to show everyone how much they know and how they're superior because they read the scanlations and totally know where the story's going and you don't oh ho ho ho. It's completely pointless posturing.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm not sure why a rule against manga discussion would be any more effective than a rule against unspoilered/unlabeled manga discussion if the problem being faced is people who won't play nice.

The goal of my rule suggestion is to get rid of the people who don't, or are unwilling to play nice. If a few of the more heinous offenders are dealt with, some of the others may reform themselves. There will never be a unanimous decision reached between the posters/mods/admin about a full source material ban or leaving things as is. At some point a compromise needs to be reached or we'll just talk in circles forever.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
But what about cases like F/Z where you can watch legally on Niconico like a week before Funimation (I think)? I chose to always spoiler my comments, but should the same rule apply here?
swienke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

The goal of my rule suggestion is to get rid of the people who don't, or are unwilling to play nice. If a few of the more heinous offenders are dealt with, some of the others may reform themselves. There will never be a unanimous decision reached between the posters/mods/admin about a full source material ban or leaving things as is. At some point a compromise needs to be reached or we'll just talk in circles forever.

Frankly, I think a rule against manga discussions in anime threads would be rather counterproductive. It's a bit like trying to put out a fire by destroying the local dam and flooding the whole town. Getting spoilered is definitely annoying and I've had the misfortune of experiencing that a few times, but eliminating any manga discussion on those threads all together would just cut down on the possible angles to discuss and would, frankly, make the discussions a little less lively.

So yes, ban the people who are being egregious with the whole spoiler thing and I for one will try to be more proactive in reporting those who've included spoilers to the mods, but please don't go overboard by banning all mentions of the manga or source material.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
But what about cases like F/Z where you can watch legally on Niconico like a week before Funimation (I think)? I chose to always spoiler my comments, but should the same rule apply here?

The guidelines developed over time for series discussions on Anime on DVD/Mania/FandomPost help here, although they depend on the forum software allowing threading (one clearly titled sub-thread for every episode). Discussion of the source material is also covered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I also disagree with requiring such strict definitions of what's allowed in an anime discussion, and, once again, hold up the Fate/Zero thread, which goes into not only the F/Z anime, but the F/Z novels, the F/sn anime, and the F/sn VN, because different information is given in different ways through the four titles/mediums, and everything that is not in the F/Z anime is spoilered out. Provided people are respectful, there doesn't need to be a rule like that.

Why? Fate Zero anime stands on its own absolutely fine. If you wish to discuss the novel you should use the appropriate forum. You should also consider the unpopularity of the other forums, such as manga and novel, and compare it to the anime one to see how much the general ANN population actually care about manga and anime. Go on, try it, it's not so hard.

If you ask me, I'd say manga/novel fans just have a hard time keeping their mouths shut. I've had issues with manga fans before, and the conclusion I came to was to just ignore every post they make altogether (not to mention that I should hate manga fans for spoiling a huge One Piece 1 in 500 episodes occurrence). If I recall correctly, the FMA:B thread was half manga discussion. That's just distasteful.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Interesting point. But that's an isolated case, invalid as an example to anything considering there's only very few anime with the same circumstances. I can only think of DBZ Kai.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
But mostly, that thread can be a bit annoying, with people saying stuff like "I can't wait til the next arc."

Not even related to the topic at hand anymore. That often happens to any shonen anime. Even to One Piece, which is one of my favourite shows, and which I'm also not aware of future events besides what the anime hints at, I say the same thing. The current Fishman Island is a fine example, I can't wait for it to end.
Hunter x Hunter has already hinted at the future arcs, and the come back of the other main characters has always been obvious even without knowing another source. It's normal to be anxious and want a depleted arc to end. If anything, it has more to do with the lust for something new rather than being aware of what happens and being impatient; if that were the case, I'd just re-watch the original.

dragon695 wrote:

It's always safe to assume that people are discussing the most recent episode aired in Japan. Regardless of when it aired, it's in the rules to use spoiler tags for spoilers, and if you see anyone breaking this rule, you should report on sight. There are only very few threads or posts with no spoiler tags used, and those have to be specified on the title or beginning of the post in bold text. When opening a thread of a new series I often leave spoilers of the first episode uncovered with a warning, it's similar to an episode preview.

It's common courtesy to mention the episode number beforehand if you feel you've seen the episode really early on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2