• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
acejam wrote:
As for the rest of the season, think I'm going to have for the 2nd week since it's been very unimpressive so far.

Do you realize that the biggest bulk of premieres this season are on July 6 and 7? (IIRC there's something like 8-9 titles premiering between those two days.) There's only a handful actually premiering in the second week.

http://countdown.mandragon.info/

Yeah, you can see here that starting with Friday (which would be like noon Thursday EST in America), we have rapid fire new shows.

Moyashimon Returns
Natsuyuki
Koi to Senkyo
Kono Naka
Joshiraku
Dakara Boku H (though the reviewers here might wait a week for the censored Crunchy version)
Hagure Yuusha
Campione

Its gonna be a busy day for the reviewers.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
acejem wrote:

Yep. But since I live in Australia, I get things "later" than you Americans, hence I said 2nd week :p.

Btw does Key = Theron Martin?

You're in like the same time-zone as Japan...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
acejem wrote:
Btw does Key = Theron Martin?

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Now that more stuff are up, some comments:

Uta Koi
I'm a literature nut and one of the reasons I'm watching anime is to help me learn Japanese. The highest and ultimate is to be able to read Japanese literature.

I feel that if I ever progress in my Japanese learning then I must get Uta Koi, in the same way that I must get that kind-of-okay Shakespeare adaptation some Hollywood director did once upon a time just to build his portfolio. Even if it only ends up middle of the way, I'd like to have something that I can use as an example of an onscreen adaptation of literature. The good news is that all the preview responses sound very encouraging. Carl's preview is my favourite, for no other reason that it highlights the things I'd be looking for in Uta Koi, having no background in Japanese lit or Chihayafuru.

Arcana Famiglia
This is the only thing in the season I've actually seen so far and probably the only other thing I'd consider interesting. My opinion is almost closest to Bamboo's -- it's a 2.5er to me. It's certainly not a good show, but it's good enough to be a guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, first episodes tend to be the best episodes, and if there's going to be a dip in quality in Arcana Famiglia in the next episodes I'm not optimistic of its direction. The jokes were horrible and unfunny, and the characters are far too cardboard-ey to be interesting enough to pull a huge fangirl fanbase. The only thing slightly better are the fight scenes, which are okay even if they're not really fantastic. Sadly, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the series since first eps tend to be the best.

--
Edit:

Whoah, I'd always thought Key was a woman.

Last edited by dandelion_rose on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
acejem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Key wrote:
acejam wrote:
As for the rest of the season, think I'm going to have for the 2nd week since it's been very unimpressive so far.

Do you realize that the biggest bulk of premieres this season are on July 6 and 7? (IIRC there's something like 8-9 titles premiering between those two days.) There's only a handful actually premiering in the second week.

http://countdown.mandragon.info/

Yeah, you can see here that starting with Friday (which would be like noon Thursday EST in America), we have rapid fire new shows.

Moyashimon Returns
Natsuyuki
Koi to Senkyo
Kono Naka
Joshiraku
Dakara Boku H (though the reviewers here might wait a week for the censored Crunchy version)
Hagure Yuusha
Campione

Its gonna be a busy day for the reviewers.

Thanks for that.

I'll check out Moyashimon Returns and Natsuyuki since they are noitamina... and I'll be lying if I said I didn't have bias for the timeslot.
Otherwise, Sword Art Online (since the general consensus seems to be that this is the most anticipated) and Kokoro Connect (hoping for something that is in similar quality to Tari Tari).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Do you realize that the biggest bulk of premieres this season are on July 6 and 7? (IIRC there's something like 8-9 titles premiering between those two days.)

Something like that. I'm not sure what the total numbers are, but on my list of shows of interest, I have 3 on Friday and 4 on Saturday. But I also have 4 for Thursday and had about that number for Sunday. But it is true that almost everything will have premiered by this upcoming Saturday. I only have two shows on my list for next week and I think there's maybe 2-3 others that I'm not watching.

I don't know that its quite true to say that "the biggest bulk of premiers" are on those two days, since two other days have similar numbers of shows, but I fully admit that might be skewed a bit by only looking at my personal list.* But either way, Monday through Wednesday is pretty dead, even after the last of the shows start next week.

*Edit: Okay, the chart I used had half the shows Ryan just listed as Thursday the 5th. If all of those are actually Friday shows, then its much more accurate to say that the bulk of those are Friday shows. I guess the ones I had for Thursday air right around midnight at that time where saying which day it counts as gets a little tricky due to how Japan does their start times. That, or one of the lists was doing the days based on different time zone.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
But either way, Monday through Wednesday is pretty dead, even after the last of the shows start next week.

That Monday through Wednesday is nice for me to catch up on backlog since all the shows I want to check out air from Thursday through Sunday (including the one spring show that's continuing - Accel World).

Quote:

*Edit: Okay, the chart I used had half the shows Ryan just listed as Thursday the 5th. If all of those are actually Friday shows, then its much more accurate to say that the bulk of those are Friday shows. I guess the ones I had for Thursday air right around midnight at that time where saying which day it counts as gets a little tricky due to how Japan does their start times. That, or one of the lists was doing the days based on different time zone.

There should be no confusion if looking at the times through JST. But, yes, if charts give stuff in different time zones the it could get confusing.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
acejem wrote:
And some shipping pairs fans come up with are total "crack pairings" to the point it's unintentionally hilarious

For the record, that's usually intentional. See also: Parry Hotter LJ community.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Uhh...yeah? It was fairly well established that Konatsu's not someone who thinks of others first. She's doing this for herself, and Wakana said as much when she told her off.

How does this invalidate that some people find the character unlikable exactly? =P
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
giapet wrote:

How does this invalidate that some people find the character unlikable exactly? =P

It doesn't, I'm pointing out that its an intentional part of her characterization.
daisy23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
As someone who played Arcana Famiglia game, I'm pretty pissed by the AWFUL adaption. Well this is Chiaki Kon, it's my fault for having high expectations...
Just you know: Felicitá is one of the best and most badass otome heroines ever.

All those stupid explanations didn't happen, even the manga followed quite faithfully the first chapter of the game and it covered the same events as the anime!
I just don't know why they mentioned each guy's Arcana power and didn't talk about their positions within the organization or about the relationship between Felicitá and her father (I think those things are worth mentioning)

Not mention that they're going to animate the worst routes (Nova or Libertá).
Why are they the worst routes?
spoiler[Nova is Felicitá's cousin (he is the son of her father's brother) and her ex-fiancé although he seems more attracted to Felicitá's mother while Libertá is Felicitá's nephew!!!(he is the son of her father's son from his previous relationship)]
Pretty disturbing in my opinion.

They could have gone through Luca route or the normal route, the normal route is the best in my opinion.
spoiler[Felicitá kicks everyone's asses (including her father) and becomes the "Donna" of the organization with all the bishonen competing for her attention but she doesn't give a shit about them.]
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
giapet wrote:

It doesn't, I'm pointing out that its an intentional part of her characterization.

Sorry- given that I offered it as an explanation for why some people don't understand or like the character, countering with an explanation that it's intentional comes off as an argument.

But if you agree that not liking the main character and her motivations is a valid reason not to be into the show then I guess we've wrapped this up. Anime smile
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
giapet wrote:

But if you agree that not liking the main character and her motivations is a valid reason not to be into the show then I guess we've wrapped this up. Anime smile

Of course its a valid reason to not like the show, its just important to keep in mind that they established her this way for a reason.
acejem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
giapet wrote:

Of course its a valid reason to not like the show, its just important to keep in mind that they established her this way for a reason.

I think you need to chill dude. Whether or not someone likes a character or not is their perogatory since they will have their own interpretations and reasons.

Remember Minko from Iroha getting a ton of hate? Same deal. And Wakana atm is a less violent version of her atm, so it's not surprising that some people don't really like her.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

But no one was arguing whether they had a reason for it; the original question was whether their presentation of her motivation and the contents of that motivation are reasonable reasons not to like the show. And it sounds like they are, so we're all good now. Smile
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
acejem wrote:

Remember Minko from Iroha getting a ton of hate? Same deal. And Wakana atm is a less violent version of her atm, so it's not surprising that some people don't really like her.

We're not talking about Wakana, we're talking about Konatsu.

Most of the hate on Minchi was pretty dumb, only valid reason to hate on her was Omigawa [expletive] Chiaki. Who thankfully is not polluting this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 62