• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Qwaser of Stigmata Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If the show was produced in 720i, then it can still benefit from being on Blu-ray(there's no rule saying it has to be 1080 and deinterlacing's easy).

The problem is that the show is mastered at 720i and then upscaled to 1080i or p (most of the time it's i). This thread talks about it a little more and links to an site for an avisynth script to fix the problem for video nerds.

Zac wrote:

I'm really, really sick of the soapboxing and victim complexes you guys keep vomiting all over the forums. If I banned you, Banden, RyanSaotome and a handful of others, then it seems to me that I wouldn't run in to the "VIVA MOE MY FANSERVICE YOU'RE ALL PURITANS!!!!" crap in every single goddamn thread. But I'm not going to do that.

I assume it's implied in the quote with the banning a handful of others, but such discussions probably wouldn't come up if the other side stopped saying the same stuff all the time when it comes to disliking a fanservice or overly moe-laden show.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Zac wrote:

I'm really, really sick of the soapboxing and victim complexes you guys keep vomiting all over the forums. If I banned you, Banden, RyanSaotome and a handful of others, then it seems to me that I wouldn't run in to the "VIVA MOE MY FANSERVICE YOU'RE ALL PURITANS!!!!" crap in every single goddamn thread. But I'm not going to do that.

I assume it's implied in the quote with the banning a handful of others, but such discussions probably wouldn't come up if the other side stopped saying the same stuff all the time when it comes to disliking a fanservice or overly moe-laden show.

This. If there was nobody starting the issue, I would feel no need to defend it... but seeing people constantly making fun of and complaining about what I like, I respond to it. If you're going to warn one side, you should really warn the people who instigate it as well.

How would you feel if you saw the same group of people constantly going into topics about anime you like, and saying "Oh look, its another shitty deep anime!". Thats what we have to deal with all the time, and it gets kinda aggravating so we feel the need to respond to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:
Zac wrote:

This. If there was nobody starting the issue, I would feel no need to defend it... but seeing people constantly making fun of and complaining about what I like, I respond to it. If you're going to warn one side, you should really warn the people who instigate it as well.

How would you feel if you saw the same group of people constantly going into topics about anime you like, and saying "Oh look, its another shitty deep anime!". Thats what we have to deal with all the time, and it gets kinda aggravating so we feel the need to respond to it.

Someone expressing a negative opinion of a fanservice show is not 'instigating'. Someone outright insulting you directly for enjoying a show is absolutely instigating, but that rarely happens. Your victimhood complex makes you think that someone saying "eww breastfeeding anime? that's gross" is a direct attack on you yourself but that's your issue. It isn't 'instigating' anything at all.

If someone saying 'eww this is gross' is 'instigating' then you coming in to the forums and saying "Oh man they're not going far enough, I want REAL PUREBLOOD INCEST!!!" to be instigating if not outright trolling. It's also completely disgusting and irrelevant because absolutely nobody needs to know what arouses you.

Seriously, I am sick to death of this crap. It'd be much easier to just get rid of the lot of you and have a peaceful forum, but I'm a nice and empathetic guy so I'm willing to give you a chance to self-moderate. Give it a try.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If someone saying 'eww this is gross' is 'instigating' then you coming in to the forums and saying "Oh man they're not going far enough, I want REAL PUREBLOOD INCEST!!!" to be instigating if not outright trolling. It's also completely disgusting and irrelevant because absolutely nobody needs to know what arouses you.

It was also completely relevant to the topic on hand, which was about a pure blood incest anime being considered acceptable by the law. If someone is able to say "eww breastfeeding", then being positive about a fetish should also be considered acceptable.

But okay, I get your point. I'll try to "Self-moderate".
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
The problem is that the show is mastered at 720i and then upscaled to 1080i or p (most of the time it's i). This thread talks about it a little more and links to an site for an avisynth script to fix the problem for video nerds.

What about the second season, could it have benefited from a BD? I'm glad they licensed both seasons since I haven't gotten around to watching the second one yet, so at this point it just makes more sense to wait to purchase the legal English release, but I'm still curious. It's probably unlikely when the first season sounds like it will stuck as DVD only for good, but I'll dream that maybe one day if the sales are high enough, I'll be able to own that in HD if there would be any noticeable, positive difference.

Zac wrote:
Someone expressing a negative opinion of a fanservice show is not 'instigating'.

The people who pop in once in a while to say, "eww, gross" are harmless, even amusing. It's the soapboxers on that side of the issue who grate on the nerves by posting the same rants in every thread that may be even remotely related to their pet peeves, and seem to contribute little if anything else anywhere on these forums. I'm not going to bother with post reports since any specific remark on its own isn't problematic. I will start sending PMs with clusters of comments when I notice them from here on out, and I just wanted to take a moment to suggest that others do the same.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
superdry wrote:

What about the second season, could it have benefited from a BD? I'm glad they licensed both seasons since I haven't gotten around to watching the second one yet, so at this point it just makes more sense to wait to purchase the legal English release, but I'm still curious. It's probably unlikely when the first season sounds like it will stuck as DVD only for good, but I'll dream that maybe one day if the sales are high enough, I'll be able to own that in HD if there would be any noticeable, positive difference.

I don't remember reading if the second season BDs suffered from the same 720i to 1080i upscale problem as season two. So second season is probably fine.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I read all 18 pages of this. It was mostly entertaining. Very Happy

Speaking about Qwaser, I don't usually watch excessive fanservice shows beyond episode 2 unless the plot is interesting (that means pretty much never), but this one I really enjoyed. It was quite harmless and funny, over-the-top and often creative in its use of fanservice. Liked the loli dominatrix. It is however an anime only for people who are at least fine with the breastfeeding fetish (which is not uncommon as far as sexual fetishes go). That being said all the quarreling about amuses me. I guess having an opinion about a kid sucking massive amounts of faux-milk straight fom the can is serious business.
Banden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
There's like one dude arguing against this show and y'all are doing what you do every single time lately which is completely dogpile on anyone who dares say they don't love your crappy fanservice anime.

You like beating off to fanservice shows, great. Doesn't make you an oppressed minority, there is absolutely no relevant equivalence to anyone with actual real-world problems or anyone in the real world who is actually being denied rights or oppressed in any way whatsoever.

Instead I'm going to give you a chance to moderate yourselves. Back off of this ridiculous victimhood thing you have going on, stop projecting it all over everyone who has a remotely different opinion than you do, and quit ruining every discussion thread you enter, and we'll all have a little peace and harmony.

Or you can keep flailing wildly out of control every single time someone mentions fanservice and doesn't parrot your exact opinion on it back at you using the exact words you would and I'll be happy to boot you all out for the good of the community.

This is your last warning. I'm sick of this.

I've been working on an outline for a long post to reply to this comment for the past 12 hours, but after thinking it over, it doesn't seem like there's much point since it's pretty clear that you have a horse in this race too, and seem no more willing to question your own views about sex in creative mediums than any of the other 3 people I've exchanged jabs with in this thread the past couple of days.

I'll just say this: You go off on a rant on all this ridiculous stuff about victim complexes and "VIVA MOE", whatever thats supposed to be, and all tolled what you just said is such a superficial and cartoonish approximation of anything I've had to say in the last couple of pages that I don't even know where to begin to untangle the fact from the imaginary. My post history is here and I think it speaks for itself for anybody who bothers following the conversation, which you don't seem to have. I didn't even enter the fray until page 9 of the thread, and each and every one of my posts has been in reply to something somebody else said, so calling me the soapboxer is a stretch at best. Honestly, very little if any the things you said in the blockquote up top are fair or accurate decriptions of a single thing I've been talking about. It seems ridiculous that you would consider banning us all en masse over an argument you have such an incredibly vague impression of.

You don't seem to realize it, but I am expressing an actual point of view here based on some knowledge of subject matter differences between American and Japanese animation, MPAA and FCC content rating guidelines, recent legal precedents, crusty old American history, and other factors. A number of people in this discussion including Fencedude and HitokiriShadow seem to get exactly where I'm coming from. The fact that you don't get me, and think that my stance has anything at all to do with moé or any number of other things you mentioned, I don't think is in anyway my fault. But hey, you're the boss, and if agreement or silence is what the boss wants, then it's agreement or silence the boss gets.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Someone expressing a negative opinion of a fanservice show is not 'instigating'. Someone outright insulting you directly for enjoying a show is absolutely instigating, but that rarely happens.

Zac wrote:
completely dogpile on anyone who dares say they don't love your crappy fanservice anime. You like beating off to fanservice shows, great.

Do you not see the irony here...
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
So second season is probably fine.

Thank you, I'll make a mental note of that just in case.

jl07045 wrote:
It was quite harmless and funny, over-the-top and often creative in its use of fanservice.

I can definitely understand why a lot of people would have some moral concerns about or be flat-out nauseated by what's on display, but it is a good watch for anyone with the stomach for controversial content, and not just for that reason. For one thing, it's a bit of a shame that there aren't more characters like Katja, but placed in less explicit contexts. I realize there's already an archetype that's superficially similar and occasionally shows up in milder ecchi series, particularly harem comedies, but their portrayal there is more of what's typically associated with standardized moe characters. Katja presses exactly the same buttons in terms of appeal, but she comes across as genuinely empowered, which is refreshing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Zac wrote:
Someone expressing a negative opinion of a fanservice show is not 'instigating'. Someone outright insulting you directly for enjoying a show is absolutely instigating, but that rarely happens.

Zac wrote:
completely dogpile on anyone who dares say they don't love your crappy fanservice anime. You like beating off to fanservice shows, great.

Do you not see the irony here...

For those of you who do not know, Zac is anti-moe and anti-fanservice. He will not hesitate to call people who like moe and fanservice losers, creeps, etc. He does it on the ANN Cast all the time, I'm surprised you haven't noticed.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
And people who disliike the shows are all sex-fearing closed-minded puritans right? They couldn't possibly have other valid reasons behind their dislike. Nope, it's got to be that. Sure is a lot of people in glass houses throwing stones in here.

But you see, that is really part of the problem. Not so much that people are disagreeing, but that some people immediately respond to those that disagree with accusations about their personal viewpoints on the matter and threads responding to said fabricated accusations as if they were true. People weren't okay with just countering the points of others, but chose to turn the discussion in to "you evil puritans disliking my show is oppressing me". Ultimately that is where things got out of hand and where the problems occurred. Had you just countered the freaking points instead of adapting a persecution-complex there never would have been a need to interject. People are coming to us saying they're outright scared off from these threads because people attack them outright for simply having a different opinion and it's going to stop. Discuss the content, but cut the witch hunt crap whenever someone says something about the shows/genre you don't like (and that goes for people on both sides, you know who you are).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
And people who disliike the shows are all sex-fearing closed-minded puritans right? They couldn't possibly have other valid reasons behind their dislike. Nope, it's got to be that. Sure is a lot of people in glass houses throwing stones in here.

In my honest opinion, people who don't like this anime have every right not to like it, and to say that they don't like it, anytime they want. But I don't see why they feel the need to insult it, and the people who like it, by calling them creeps or pedos or whatever else.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Indeed, which is why I explicitly called out both sides in my comment. The sad thing is those initial pedo comments and what not could have been dealt with had they been reported, but sadly nothing got reported until this thread had already degenerated in to the mess it is.

I mean, when you look at the thread things first started down the wrong road when Shippoyasha accused people of being a on high horse for disliking the show. Right there you had someone directly attacking others for what was, up to that point, simply people stating their opinions on the news and the show. Opinions are just opinions, and ultimately that's what is discussed on forums, whether people like hearing them or not. However, when the response starts attacking and judging the person giving the opinion directly, that's when the line gets crossed. Of course, it wasn't until Chagen's comments on page 3 that things really got out of hand.

Either way, at this point I'm ready to just surgically rip this thread apart like the Lupin thread and allow those who wish to discuss it civilly have their change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I gave Qwaser a decent rating because, all the breast sucking aside (still a better love story than Twilight), it's still a pretty generic shonen fighting show. Albeit a bit more violent than your average shonen.

I can't deny that the very detailed scenes *cough* did disgust me a bit spoiler[(even more when they actually showed the milk)]. Pardon this next perverted line, but whenever it seemed like he was just groping and biting it was pretty sexy. Hahaha. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19